Question about Nitti's shafts

genuino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm paying Chris Nitti a visit in Orlando to have him build a cue for me. Right now I'm playing with a Mezz w/WX900 shaft but I'm guessing that his shafts are not LD, how would they compare to WX900 or to a 314-3 or Z3? Maybe I'm asking a dumb question but I want a complete Nitti, not a Nitti with a Mezz shaft. In other words how do they play? Never tried one but want one.
Comments appreciated.

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
He makes his shafts with a conical taper and about 4.5-4.8oz.

They are not LD, but I'm sure you could get him to make whatever you want...

genuino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like pro taper, sure is not an issue for him, but wasn't sure I could shoot a few with his cues while there, that's the best way to go around it, thanks guys.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm paying Chris Nitti a visit in Orlando to have him build a cue for me. Right now I'm playing with a Mezz w/WX900 shaft but I'm guessing that his shafts are not LD, how would they compare to WX900 or to a 314-3 or Z3? Maybe I'm asking a dumb question but I want a complete Nitti, not a Nitti with a Mezz shaft. In other words how do they play? Never tried one but want one.
Comments appreciated.
playing a nitti with the shaft you like is OK (to me)
the quality of the workmanship in the butt
from the inside out
including energy transfer and feel
and the design
will be GREAT
fwiw i play with a nitti with an ob 1+ shaft
to answer your question his shafts will play like a non LD shaft
after playing with the wx 900 there will be an adjustment period
p.s. why dont you want to use your mezz on nitti's cue?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The Chris Nitti cue I had was fantastic in every way, just what I was looking for, however the shafts were really lightweight.
I have since sold the cue but it played so good that I started thinking differently about shaft weight vs playability.
The LD shaft manufacturers keep making them lighter and lighter so there must be something to it.

Some of the mindset on heavy weighted shafts comes from players who prefer front weighted cues.
In the past I would have referred to light weight shafts as balsa wood, but I'm thinking differently.

☮️ Peace

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chris Nitti cue I had was fantastic in every way, just what I was looking for, however the shafts were really lightweight.
I have since sold the cue but it played so good that I started thinking differently about shaft weight vs playability.
The LD shaft manufacturers keep making them lighter and lighter so there must be something to it.

Some of the mindset on heavy weighted shafts comes from players who prefer front weighted cues.
In the past I would have referred to light weight shafts as balsa wood, but I'm thinking differently.

☮️ Peace

ya same here in recent years discovered the lighter shafts do seam play better by leaps & bounds.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
ya same here in recent years discovered the lighter shafts do seam play better by leaps & bounds.

Not all the time but definitely with my fancy Chris Nitti cue.
It depends, many variables.

I bought two new 4.0 shafts for a high end cue, paid quite a bit for them, and the balsawood shafts do not play that good.
The guy who bought the cue didn't want those original shafts told me to keep them.
One hits pretty good but at 3.4 ounces, less the brass piloted insert and all...it has to be part balsawood.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 2006 Merry widow with 2 shafts that are both around 4 ounces and a 2015 4-point player with 2 shafts, one at 3.6 and another at 4.3oz. The heavier shaft shifts the balance point a bit more than 20 inches from the butt cap which seems too far forward for me.

As far as LD, I switched to BHE a while back and the pivot point matches my bridge length pretty well. I also enjoy using a Jacoby Hybrid shaft on my Nitti's but the stock shafts play well to me.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like pro taper, sure is not an issue for him, but wasn't sure I could shoot a few with his cues while there, that's the best way to go around it, thanks guys.

If you are going to see him ask him if you'll be able to try some cues.

Also, ask him about his shafts.

Many cue makers make more than one shaft profile and any particular cue owner may only have experience with one of those shaft profiles.

A good cue maker should be interested in what you think and feel in order to help satisfy your requirements. They may even value discussing it right there at a pool table with some different shaft profiles to try and discuss.

I have never talked to him myself, but if I were going there with the intent to have a cue made I would be having this conversation with him, in advance.