All Japan Championships

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Looks like the stream has started. The first match of the day is two amateurs, Ogiwara vs. Toku. I have never heard of them, so I couldn't tell you how the match will be.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the stream has started. The first match of the day is two amateurs, Ogiwara vs. Toku. I have never heard of them, so I couldn't tell you how the match will be.

I'm going to sit out the prelims -dont want to peak too early.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
i can contact someone who's participating in All-Japan and ask him if Shane is playing.
btw, carlo biado is leaving this morning for Japan. i just hope Shane's playing and probably meet biado in the brackets. :grin-square:

He's is Sioux Falls celebrating his recent victory.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Ha. I was all excited when I heard SVB was going to be there, and then disappointed when I learned he wasn't. What a terrible decision.

Skip a world class tournament with a chance to overtake the #1 WPA ranking to practice and/or bond for a team exhibition? Is this some type of joke?

The best seasoning comes from being in the bloody pit with the best players in the world...not tucked off in some corner of Hometown, USA with your Mosconi team and 7 fans.

Mark Wilson should really know better than this...IF he had anything to do with the decision (like forcing Shane to stay home) or on the other hand as his coach he should have been encouraging him to go...IMO.

Oh well. Best wishes to all either way.

P.S. Shane, those years tick by fast, and your window for competing at the very top of the world class level will decline quickly. Quicker than you may anticipate.

Banks

Banned
The best seasoning comes from being in the bloody pit with the best players in the world...not tucked off in some corner of Hometown, USA with your Mosconi team and 7 fans.

Good point. I wonder if Shane's ever considered matching up before. A former league player like that.. must be easy money for others. Now that he's getting older, he can only get worse.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Good point. I wonder if Shane's ever considered matching up before. A former league player like that.. must be easy money for others. Now that he's getting older, he can only get worse.

Of course you know he's matched up plenty, at least I hope you do.

But here is the point, it is real simple, which is better preparation, provides more opportunity for Shane and USA pool:

1. Competing in All Japan Championship with best players in the world, possibly winning and taking over #1 WPA world ranking? OR

2. Participating in some circle jerk in St Louis handing out high fives to teammates and possibly autographs for a few fans?

Got it?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Ha. I was all excited when I heard SVB was going to be there, and then disappointed when I learned he wasn't. What a terrible decision.

Skip a world class tournament with a chance to overtake the #1 WPA ranking to practice and/or bond for a team exhibition? Is this some type of joke?

Mark Wilson should really know better than this...IF he had anything to do with the decision (like forcing Shane to stay home) or on the other hand as his coach he should have been encouraging him to go...IMO.

Oh well. Best wishes to all either way.

P.S. Shane, those years tick by fast, and your window for competing at the very top of the world class level will decline quickly. Quicker than you may anticipate.

In Shane's defense, the decision could have been made to help bring his teammates up to speed. Shane has plenty of seasoning, the rest would probably benefit more by playing sets for a week with Shane than following him to Japan and getting their confidence crushed by an unknown Taiwanese or Filipino in the qualifiers (Shane is probably the only one that would have a spot in the main event).

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
In Shane's defense, the decision could have been made to help bring his teammates up to speed. Shane has plenty of seasoning, the rest would probably benefit more by playing sets for a week with Shane than following him to Japan and getting their confidence crushed by an unknown Taiwanese or Filipino in the qualifiers (Shane is probably the only one that would have a spot in the main event).

I believe you folks put too much stock in the Mosconi Cup. It's a paid exhibition team event made for television. Nothing more.

The All Japan is a world class WPA sanctioned individual tournament. For those not paying attention, pool is largely an individual sport.

I was merely making the point that Shane should be there, not that the whole team should be...

My belief is that it is more important for SVB and the game in the US for him to do well in ALL WPA ranking events and possibly hold the #1 World Ranking.

That is all. Best wishes,

~Razor

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Shane had a difficult decision to make, and in the end, chose what he felt was the best choice for him. Rather than question it, I choose to respect that.

I feel like this year's Mosconi Cup players are already showing themselves to be a great team, which is something that has been sorely missing in the past.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure Shane had a difficult decision to make, and in the end, chose what he felt was the best choice for him. Rather than question it, I choose to respect that.

I feel like this year's Mosconi Cup players are already showing themselves to be a great team, which is something that has been sorely missing in the past.

How are you pretty sure of this? Have you talked with Shane? :confused:

Thanks for any clarification.

~Razor

GDC

GlenC
Silver Member
I believe you folks put too much stock in the Mosconi Cup. It's a paid exhibition team event made for television. Nothing more.

The All Japan is a world class WPA sanctioned individual tournament. For those not paying attention, pool is largely an individual sport.

I was merely making the point that Shane should be there, not that the whole team should be...

My belief is that it is more important for SVB and the game in the US for him to do well in ALL WPA ranking events and possibly hold the #1 World Ranking.

~Razor
I wholeheartedly agree. It would have been good for pool to see SVB here. And it would have been good to have had all of these Asians at the US Open.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

~Razor

i could not agree more. and once again an impending debate arises between SVB fans and his critics. i honestly think he has the potential to dominate this game, and tournaments like the All-Japan, with a very tough field of players, is an opportunity to prove whether or not you are the best or not. it's really disappointing that he will miss it, considering he participated in W9B, China Open, and US Open this year. All-Japan would complete the entire thing.

Last edited:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

~Razor
Cannot aggree more. In spite of what AZB forums like to think, in reality MC is a blip on the pool radar.

If anything, staying in the U.S. And participating in the U.S. Only circle jerks Has served to hurt the U.S. Players more than anything else.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Getting back on topic...

Day 2 of the qualifiers is shaping up to be the rise of the amateurs. All the seeded Japanese pros have been knocked out except for one, while Filipino player Faraon and two Taiwanese players are still battling for a spot in the main tournament. The rest of the remaining players are all Japanese amateurs, so it looks like at least a few of them will be getting through.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Getting back on topic...

Day 2 of the qualifiers is shaping up to be the rise of the amateurs. All the seeded Japanese pros have been knocked out except for one, while Filipino player Faraon and two Taiwanese players are still battling for a spot in the main tournament. The rest of the remaining players are all Japanese amateurs, so it looks like at least a few of them will be getting through.

Maruoka and Ogawa are the only two amateurs in the tournament that I have played before and they are monsters. I'm not surprised in the least that they made it through and would guess that they will do damage in the main event as well. If the other amateurs that made it with them are at their level as well, there are going to be some upsets in the first round.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Yup, I know those two well and there are a few more that play just below them that are probably favorites over some of the lower-tiered pros...

Looking forward to the main tournament tomorrow, there should be some great matchups with big names butting heads in the early rounds!

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
On Facebook, the tournament page mentioned that Shane cancelled his entry. I wonder what happens to his spot?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Facebook, the tournament page mentioned that Shane cancelled his entry. I wonder what happens to his spot?

Most likely they will replace with best qualifier of the qualifiers who failed to qualify :)
If Shane had played he will tough matches in 1st round- 1st match v W9B finalist Fu Che Wei. If he wins he has to play Lining
:D