All Japan Championships

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
I don't see many big matches in the first round of the main event, but in the second round there are a couple big matches lined up assuming they defeat their first round opponent.

Antonio Lining vs Shane Van Boening (Lining has been playing really good as of late)
Lo Li Wen vs Jeffery De Luna
Tanaka Masaaki vs Johnny Archer
Dennis Orcullo vs Ko Pin Chun (again, lol)
Akagariyama Yukio vs Ramil Gallego

Antonio Lining recently won the Japan Open 10-ball this July defeating Rodney Morris in the finals. saw Lining last month in our local pool hall, and he's playing very sharp. this Lining-SVB match should be a good one.
Also, i think it was Ko Ping-Chung who eliminated Dennis Orcollo in All-Japan Open 2 years ago. Recently though, Dennis Orcollo beat Little Ko in the group round of the W9B.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has always been a de facto world title. Without a doubt the toughest tournament around.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has always been a de facto world title. Without a doubt the toughest tournament around.

In old days few decades ago Japan used to host some of biggest prizemoney events. Guys like Parica, Reyes, Buste started playing overseas in Japan :)

billiards102

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson had told me that SVB wasn't going. Guess that changed.

Someone else also posted the entire European Mosconi Cup team would be in Japan. Guess tag changed as well.

That's correct. Shane is not going this year, which is too bad since by my estimations, based on last years WPA point distributions, he would have needed to finish in the the top 1/3 of the field to be first place in the year end WPA point rankings. I was so excited for him I offered to help sponsor the trip to Japan.

Instead, he voluntarily chose to give up the potential #1 WPA year end ranking to spend the week practicing with the US Mosconi Cup Team, which I have to respect.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billiards102, I first thought why would he not go play in Japan, then I read on, where he is practicing with his Mosconi teammates, how could anyone not respect this guy.

USA all the way.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's correct. Shane is not going this year, which is too bad since by my estimations, based on last years WPA point distributions, he would have needed to finish in the the top 1/3 of the field to be first place in the year end WPA point rankings. I was so excited for him I offered to help sponsor the trip to Japan.

Instead, he voluntarily chose to give up the potential #1 WPA year end ranking to spend the week practicing with the US Mosconi Cup Team, which I have to respect.

Good for Shane!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO, he should have gone to Japan-He has had 350 other days to practice with his team mates which is of nebulous value to begin with.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is how much of a competitor he is. Amazing talent and spirit for him to turn down Japan and a chance at solo glory and instead trade it for a chance at national team glory. This is like a pool version of Hoosiers. I hope Hollywood is taking notes. Here is your next pool movie that launches the sport, a Shane bio pic. This is what I love about pool, the professional athletes are unlike any other sport. From the Europeans to the Americans. The stories of dedication, triumph, and failure are endless.

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how much of a competitor he is. Amazing talent and spirit for him to turn down Japan and a chance at solo glory and instead trade it for a chance at national team glory. This is like a pool version of Hoosiers. I hope Hollywood is taking notes. Here is your next pool movie that launches the sport, a Shane bio pic. This is what I love about pool, the professional athletes are unlike any other sport. From the Europeans to the Americans. The stories of dedication, triumph, and failure are endless.

So is Shane playing or not? Some of you are saying he is not there, but he is clearly listed on the brackets.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
What am I missing here? First Masayoshi post link to Japan Open brackets. Upon opening bracket link I see SVB's name along with RM and JA's. Then I see praise for SVB attending, then praise for SVB not attending?

Which is it?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Shane will be in St Louis on Friday. Two organized Mosconi Cup appearances and practice with the team til they go to London.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Interesting, the brackets and the billiard news in Japan say that he is playing, but its entirely possible that they are wrong or he canceled because the second stage doesn't start until Thursday.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What times are these matches streaming? They have three recorded matches on the ustream channel so they've already begun. It is off air now. Anyone know the local times of the starts?

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to answer my own question, the recorded matches were posted 11 hours ago, 12 hours ago and 14 hours ago respectively, so my guess would be sometime between 11 pm and midnight eastern time. This may not be indicative of today's start times but it's a jumping off point. I just noticed the start times in the brackets, I should do more research before asking questions :)

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
What times are these matches streaming? They have three recorded matches on the ustream channel so they've already begun. It is off air now. Anyone know the local times of the starts?

The start time for the qualifiers isn't listed, but the main event starts at 9:30 Japan time or 4:30 pacific time each day. If the qualifiers start on the same time schedule, they should be starting in just under an hour.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i can contact someone who's participating in All-Japan and ask him if Shane is playing.
btw, carlo biado is leaving this morning for Japan. i just hope Shane's playing and probably meet biado in the brackets. :grin-square: