Billiards VS. the Church

HKCY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Church has a long history in billiards history. In the earliest days, the game was often denounces as sinful, dangerous, morally corrupt. In 15th century France billiards play was forbidden by the Church as well as the King. In early American history, owing to religious influences, actual laws were passed outlawing the game in many parts of the country.

The dome in Monticello, Thomas Jefferson’s home, has a hidden billiard room in it. During that time, it was illegal to play billiards in Virginia.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Indeed this is true. Most American colonies/states did ban billiards in the beginning.

But, interestingly enough, Chicago was a bit of an exception to that rule.

The Illinois General Assembly did in fact ban billiards, bowling, cards, dice etc, from the very founding of the state. However, within a few short years the state billiard law was repealed specifically for Chicago.

Why? Because unlike the refined "civilized" world out east, with all of their puritan and teetotaler values intact, Illinois was still the wild and woolly west. If they wanted to play pool, they would. And they did, banned or not.

In Chicago, in 1840, you would have seen unshaven soldiers, leather-clad French trappers and traders, Native americans, a vast number of Native-white half-breeds, along with your typical pioneer settlers, and actual women, all gathered together for a sip of whiskey, some good fiddle playing, and some billiards.

This was the norm in Chicago, while back in Boston, NY and Philly, you'd certainly never find women drinking in public, much less asscociating with the filthy natives. And god forbid you marry one. You might as well have kissed the devil.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The Church has a long history in billiards history. In the earliest days, the game was often denounces as sinful, dangerous, morally corrupt. In 15th century France billiards play was forbidden by the Church as well as the King. In early American history, owing to religious influences, actual laws were passed outlawing the game in many parts of the country.

The dome in Monticello, Thomas Jefferson’s home, has a hidden billiard room in it. During that time, it was illegal to play billiards in Virginia.

The game is sinful, dangerous, morally corrupt. So are the people that play it.

That's why I love it so much.

Kim

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• churchsign Terry A.jpg
    churchsign Terry A.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 480

excessknowledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dome in Monticello, Thomas Jefferson’s home, has a hidden billiard room in it. During that time, it was illegal to play billiards in Virginia.[/QUOTE]

Odd situation I must say.We have a Omish or is it Amish Family composed of an elderly husband and wife and they had to leave their community due to playing pool for he loved the game and has been at our church 20 years now.

I do not know but I think the ark Angels have a gold crown.

On a serious note and I was told there is one in Rome that John the 2nd enjoyed.

HKCY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats interesting that they were banished for billiards. Amish people do play games (though obviously not video games). Here's something else interesting about the Amish - when they are young, they have a rite of passage, known as 'Rumspringa', where they temporarily leave their community to engage in all sorts of gratuitous behavior. After this period, they have a chance to commit to the church or leave it. First time I heard about this was actually on an MTV documentary of all places.

excessknowledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats interesting that they were banished for billiards. Amish people do play games (though obviously not video games). Here's something else interesting about the Amish - when they are young, they have a rite of passage, known as 'Rumspringa', where they temporarily leave their community to engage in all sorts of gratuitous behavior. After this period, they have a chance to commit to the church or leave it. First time I heard about this was actually on an MTV documentary of all places.

This Rumspringa .If they choose not to return is it not to return to the church or not to return to the community?Also what is the difference the real difference between a Mininight and full blown Amish ? I go to the Amish market for food stores.Are they Mininights really selling us the meats and cheese or are they Amish?Can the Mininights play pool and if so do they have a different belief system?
Doc

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
" Playing cards, billiards etc, even when at home, and in the family circle, exposes those who do it to be drawn into corrupt associations. "

From the book:
Popular Amusements; An appeal to Methodists, in regard to the evils of card playing, billiards, dancing, theatre going etc.
Hiram Mattison. Circa 1867

To read the entire book, click here