Where is the 626?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good point ,
thought that predator have a massive inerest to promote the record .
but nothing surprise me anymore .

Maybe predator has MASSIVE interest but went from hot to cold seeing there really isn't MASSIVE interest from consumers.
His 400+ run on Youtube has around 2300+ view only. Say 2000 unique views (taking out multiple views from same viewer).
What is the discount conversion from free stream to PPV ? Let us say low discount 50% (though more realistic is more than 50% discount)
So 2000 viewers free stream =1000 paying customers
Charge each customer $10 per DVD, that is only $10K.
This is low 5 digit revenue, not 6 digit. Not really very compelling numbers.
Plus as many others have said, interest and buy in from paying customers would have dropped quite a bit since.

swh1.jpg

:D

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I find most unfortunate is that John having his sponsors and all rights, doesn’t have the support from them to make sure this video would be marketed efficiently and with the best of what’s avail today. Legal or otherwise. Come on Predator. Step in and step up.

~ K.

Kinda sounds further back up in the thread that he wanted to keep the rights to the video as a revenue stream.

As a result, perhaps his sponsors have taken a hands off approach on the video.

Lou Figueroa
who knows

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do people actually think this makes a difference?

willie set the record in 1954 after playing straight pool just about every single day since the great war ended

if we follow that logic, then we must conclude that john schmidt's run is even MORE impressive because he had at least ten fewer years to practice

Good grief -- we were talking about having a marketing strategy ready to go, not who played longer.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe predator has MASSIVE interest but went from hot to cold seeing there really isn't MASSIVE interest from consumers.
His 400+ run on Youtube has around 2300+ view only. Say 2000 unique views (taking out multiple views from same viewer).
What is the discount conversion from free stream to PPV ? Let us say low discount 50% (though more realistic is more than 50% discount)
So 2000 viewers free stream =1000 paying customers
Charge each customer $10 per DVD, that is only $10K.
This is low 5 digit revenue, not 6 digit. Not really very compelling numbers.
Plus as many others have said, interest and buy in from paying customers would have dropped quite a bit since.

View attachment 524895

:D

You would also need to factor in how many unique viewers watched it from start to finish and didn't just bail after a few racks, to get a better idea of what the market would be for buyers who would, presumably, watch it all the way through.

Lou Figueroa

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they cant make money with the dvd , thats for sure .
but john broke the record with a predator revo .
thaught this is a good reason to promote the 626 , in combination with a new predator signature cue , or something like that .
i dont know what john have in mind with the rights and the promotion .
strike while the iron is hot , and its getting colder every week .
i wish him all the best with the sale and i hope the 626 makes it to the record books .
standing ovations for the run !!!
keep in stroke everybody

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda sounds further back up in the thread that he wanted to keep the rights to the video as a revenue stream.

As a result, perhaps his sponsors have taken a hands off approach on the video.

Lou Figueroa

who knows

Sounds like it, Lou.

My point was that WITH the (relatively major) sponsorships set up well ahead of time for months - AND the fact there was a reasonable expectation for John to beat the record - I’m very, very surprised the distribution wasn’t thought out and ready for execution within 72 hours of the feat...esp by Predator.

And like WM’s record run, it would be a shame for the significance of it all to be buried under the thumb of Father Time.

This grand game of 14.1 and John’s record run is deserving of the highest honor - from us all. Save the scrimping and bs copying for lame crap, people. Or is that $20 lotto ticket you bought with near zero chance of anything other than embarrassment more valuable?

I’m a buyer of John’s video at whatever price. Matter of fact - 10 of them at a minimum. I’ll give 9 legit copies from John S away to my friends.

~ K.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't know even a tiny bit about what sponsor arrangements were in place before, during or after the run but if Predator is the official cue and any sort of deal was in place sponsoring the run this is a cluster F.

If both John and Predator can't make hay out of this then something is horribly wrong. Predator clearly has marketing savvy, look how many bar box bangers buy their stuff. If his picture holding their cue isn't already all over bars, the net and in magazines and the video isn't already for sale, a big opportunity has been squandered.

That being said....the fact that people think the big money to be made from this is DVD sales tells me all I need to know. Appearances, endorsements, clothing lines...how is there not even a blog entry on the Reco/Predator site?
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know even a tiny bit about what sponsor arrangements were in place before, during or after the run but if Predator is the official cue and any sort of deal was in place sponsoring the run this is a cluster F.

If both John and Predator can't make hay out of this than something is horribly wrong. Predator clearly has marketing savvy, look how many bar box bangers buy their stuff. If his picture holding their cue isn't already all over bars, the net and in magazines and the video isn't already for sale, a big opportunity has been squandered.

Well they might make a bail or 2 but the fact is look at the list of pro players they already have , Blistard with World Class players ,
Darren Appleton
Joshua Filler
Eklent Kachi
Chris Melling
Albin Ouschan
Jasmin Ouschan
Daryryl Peach
Ralf Souquet
Jung Lin Chang
Mark Grey
fan Yang
Chezka Centeneno
Carlo Biado
Kristina Tkach
And more

I highly think JS moves the needle much anymore than this group of champions already does and will in the future

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Well they might make a bail or 2 but the fact is look at the list of pro players they already have , Blistard with World Class players ,

Darren Appleton

Joshua Filler

Eklent Kachi

Chris Melling

Albin Ouschan

Jasmin Ouschan

Daryryl Peach

Ralf Souquet

Jung Lin Chang

Mark Grey

fan Yang

Chezka Centeneno

Carlo Biado

Kristina Tkach

And more

I highly think JS moves the needle much anymore than this group of champions already does and will in the future

Marketing opportunities don't just happen...they are made. Nobody's heard of any of those guys. But they have heard of Willie Mosconi...they shouldn't be selling a guy named John who made 600 and something balls in a game nobody plays anymore. They should be talking about The Guy who just beat Willie Mosconi with a Revo shaft.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like it, Lou.

My point was that WITH the (relatively major) sponsorships set up well ahead of time for months - AND the fact there was a reasonable expectation for John to beat the record - I’m very, very surprised the distribution wasn’t thought out and ready for execution within 72 hours of the feat...esp by Predator.

And like WM’s record run, it would be a shame for the significance of it all to be buried under the thumb of Father Time.

This grand game of 14.1 and John’s record run is deserving of the highest honor - from us all. Save the scrimping and bs copying for lame crap, people. Or is that $20 lotto ticket you bought with near zero chance of anything other than embarrassment more valuable?

I’m a buyer of John’s video at whatever price. Matter of fact - 10 of them at a minimum. I’ll give 9 legit copies from John S away to my friends.

~ K.

I agree, K.

They should have been ready to go with a plan for immediate production, distribution/sales, and publicity.

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marketing opportunities don't just happen...they are made. Nobody's heard of any of those guys. But they have heard of Willie Mosconi...they shouldn't be selling a guy named John who made 600 and something balls in a game nobody plays anymore. They should be talking about The Guy who just beat Willie Mosconi with a Revo shaft.

Since there is already a gazillion Revo shafts out there already because of those so called unknown players ,, I don't see where the big opportunity is , in fact it's all but forgotten already , who really cares about a record in a game nobody plays anyway

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do people actually think this makes a difference?

willie set the record in 1954 after playing straight pool just about every single day since the great war ended

if we follow that logic, then we must conclude that john schmidt's run is even MORE impressive because he had at least ten fewer years to practice

Nobody!!!! wants to admit that part, nobody. Especially people that have been running numbers that pale in comparison but, somehow they still like to talk chit.

WM "may" have ran 1000 balls. Hell, he "may" have ran more but, John "did" run 626 and he has proof.

Does it really not matter like 1 stroke says? I disagree whole heartily, big time. Does it matter to him? Maybe not? Then again, does he matter? I doubt it.

On the other hand, does John S matter? Yep! Further more, does John's 626 run matter? Yep! Moreover, does 14.1 matter? Not just yep, but hell yes!

Is 14.1 dead? Nope. Its in the down side of the cycle of life. You know, it's like fashion. Its in style today, not tomorrow but, comes back in later.

When, not if 14.1 comes back in style, John will still be the what he already knows which is the holder of the world record 14.1 run "with proof".....not just, so and so saw so and so....run so and so balls.

Nope, he has proof and thats the truth but some:

can't handle the truth.....lol

Jeff

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Nobody!!!! wants to admit that part, nobody. Especially people that have been running numbers that pale in comparison but, somehow they still like to talk chit.

WM "may" have ran 1000 balls. Hell, he "may" have ran more but, John "did" run 626 and he has proof.

Does it really not matter like 1 stroke says? I disagree whole heartily, big time. Does it matter to him? Maybe not? Then again, does he matter? I doubt it.

On the other hand, does John S matter? Yep! Further more, does John's 626 run matter? Yep! Moreover, does 14.1 matter? Not just yep, but hell yes!

Is 14.1 dead? Nope. Its in the down side of the cycle of life. You know, it's like fashion. Its in style today, not tomorrow but, comes back in later.

When, not if 14.1 comes back in style, John will still be the what he already knows which is the holder of the world record 14.1 run "with proof".....not just, so and so saw so and so....run so and so balls.

Jeff
I think the discussion is about whether it can be monetized.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a Predator 626 model coming

I ask a predator rep about that a few days ago while checking on an order and they said "thats not the first time thats been said".

I ask them to go into detail but they wouldn't but, they did say it was likely to happen.

When....is the 1st question and what is the 2nd question? That's what I was asking at the time and they said they were not at liberty to say.

Jeff

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see a Predator 626 model coming

Sadly, John did not run 628 which is twice 314.

As for the general thrust of the thread, how many pool players know how to really promote themselves? The only ones I can think of are the exhibition players and The Black Widow.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what kind of ad revenue they have already lost out on by not immediately putting the run on YouTube.

This run by Caudron in an even deader game than 14.1 has already gotten 115,000 views:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhmeFnGZVZU

It is borderline delusional in 2019 to believe you can make more money by keeping a run like this on lockdown and selling DVDs to senior citizens, rather than turning it loose and taking advantage of a global audience and a YouTube algorithm that will surface the run to the front page of every pool fan in the world.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff
lol please slide over my way so I can get close enough to catch your second hand smoke
You got a better chance of hitting the lottery in 3 states at the same time than 14-1 coming back in fashion ,
You seriously need to get out and take a peak around in the pool rooms and see how many play the game and listen to how many times you hear a peep about it , in fact if it wasn't for me asking one of the Roy's Basement backers about DO taking a run at it the other day I wouldn't have even heard his named mentioned anywhere other than here since the record was broken,
There is zero doubt in my mind if any of the old timer games becomes fashionable it's one pocket by a landslide

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more comment...

John Schmidt owns the record and no one can take it away from him. I don't think he should own the run itself. 626 is part of pool history and the video should be available for pool fans and non-fans alike to learn from and enjoy.

Augusta National has put all of the Masters broadcasts online, where they can be watched for free. (Of course, it's not totally free - viewers pay with their attention, and in turn Augusta makes money from ads.) John should do the same. It will do more to promote him, promote the game, and promote his sponsors than trying to sell DVDs to the already-converted.