Real Meucci original vs new Meucci original

Direwolf

Registered
I need to know how to tell if a cue marked Meucci original is indeed an original or one of the new crappy repop originals that muellers and others are selling. What are the telltale signs? Thanks in advance

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they are coming with any shaft but the older original shaft(s) that's a good indicator. I've got a restored MO with the original shaft/ferrule you can tell the difference right off the bat.

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Meucci Original's

I have played with the Exact cue. One being a Meucci Original and one being a "M" cue.
There was a Big difference in the playability.

I have added a few since this picture.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1454737085588.jpg
    FB_IMG_1454737085588.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3,277

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Differences

I need to know how to tell if a cue marked Meucci original is indeed an original or one of the new crappy repop originals that muellers and others are selling. What are the telltale signs? Thanks in advance

There are only a few of the newer models with original in the name. If you want to get technical you can check the weight bolt. They have changed from the original ones to the new models. The rubber butt bumper/stop is also a little different in size. If it comes with a Red dot shaft that fits perfectly it was made from the late 90's onward. Black dot shafts even later. Meucci original logo changed in the late 1988/1989 to the cursive Meucci logo when they changed factories and production became a lot more commercial. It happened again in the mid 1990's when many experienced employees didn't want to move with the factory, quality control dropped after that.... I've been told that in the 80's they were a lot more selective with material for shafts, etc... The good shafts never warped even in extreme heat and cold. So if you can find an older model with the classic shaft that fits perfectly and isn't warped you have something special. Ferrules in the 80's/early 90's hit great had a lot of feel but cracked very often.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
making new "Meucci Originals" was one of the crappiest moves this company ever made.

They knew how poor their cursive "Meucci" models had become and the low regard people had for them so they knocked off their own cues from the glory days and, of course, created confusion. :rolleyes::frown::rolleyes:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Why do you need to know?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you need to know?

Some one is probably trying fo sell him one and is trying fo pass it.off as an "original" original..

Due to getting off work late the other night and not having time to co home and get my cues cod league I had the opportunity to shoot with a team mates "new" original.during my match

I think I would have bee better off crabbing a cue off the wall than playing with his cue....this coming from some one who shoots with a meucci.....with a black dot shaft

While I will have to say the cit and finish on his cue was superb...for a meucci. I hated his pro shaft and kamui hard clear tip combination.. I shoot with a kamui lear soft on my black dot shaft and love it. I play wel enough with it to be raised to a 6 recently lol

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
the old ones won lots of $$$, hit a ton and ruled pool for as long as travis trotter while the new ones look familiar

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Signs

Cheap plastics.
Plywood shafts .
Delamination issues.
different butt cap
The hit
the sound of the hit.
the wrap section

And no return policy.......

Direwolf

Registered
Thanks for the replies. I own three originals that I know are truly originals because I have had them for quite a long time. I'm not what you would consider a Meucci fan at all but am in no way opposed to picking one up on the cheap to resell. I had read about someone having Meucci make some using the original logo some time ago and that they were popping up on eBay being touted as "originals". This never really concerned me until I saw muellers listing new Meucci "originals" using the old model numbers for sale on their site. I just wanted to know any easy way to tell the difference just in case I ran across one of these cues so I would know what to look for. Thanks again.