Jerry Briesath "A Pool Lesson"

ndakotan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am impressed with the volume and breadth of the knowledge taught in this 3 DVD set. I have seen many of the instructional videos commercially available and there are a lot of good ones, but this set offers a wide range of knowledge and nuggets of information I hadn't heard before.

Jerry explains ball action correctly, shot routine information given is awesome, and his strategy games are awesome.

pmata814

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished watching them last night and I agree they are EXCELLENT!

I'm just a beginner, so maybe advanced players might find they already know the info but I'd like to say this: A lot of the information presented in his dvd's I'd either read or viewed before in other dvd's, but hearing and watching his demonstrations was still an 'eye opening' experience for me. So maybe experienced players might find it does the same for them :).

I can't recommend these dvd's enough.

BTW, for me, the kicking chapter alone was worth the full price and then some! :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

brophog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a beginner/intermediate oriented video, but it modernizes 'How to Play Pool Right' and that was much needed. It really needed to be stretched out into 3 discs and now it has that opportunity.

There's a lot of information packed on these three discs. A lot of it is stuff that is simply overlooked, like how to potentially handle wearing glasses or how to handle hangers. Positional play is taught not only from the perspective of what can I do, but what can't I do. That approach is great, particularly once a beginner starts messing with English and thinking they can do anything from anywhere.

Jerry Briesath is still the most approachable to someone just picking up a cue for the first time. This 3 disc set should be sold as a starter kit with a cue and some chalk.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
I posted this review in a different section of the forum, but I believe it belongs here as well, if not moreso.

My review of the DVD set...

I own a number of instructional DVDs. I can't find an instructor that lives within 50 miles of me so I have resorted to books and dvds. As such, I have wasted hundreds of hours reading books that didn't really live up to the expectations or hype, and videos that have also not lived up to the reviews.

This review is not to tear down the books and DVDs that I have not found useful. The only DVD set I found useful prior to Jerry's was "Mike Sigel's Perfect Pool." That set did a very good job of explaining the fundamentals. But since the master is not really an instructor, and the guy helping the video move along is better known as a pitch man...the dvd video is not perfect. However, I will say it's a worthwhile purchase.

I will preface this by saying the best book on fundamentals is by far Lee Brett's book. And I have read nearly 50 books. All the classics. Lee's is great. I am awaiting his video so I cannot pass any judgement on it. That being said...

if you really want to get the most you can out of one set...save all your money, leave the time tested books behind, forget about all the pros that have lent their names to instructional sets. This DVD set by far the best set I have ever encountered. I expected so much of this set do to the banter on this site that I kind of expected to be let down. ..I was surprised that it surpassed even my most optimistic expectations.

It seems that many, many people equate great talent at any given task with the talent to also pass this gift on to others. This is rarely the case. Eddie Van Halen might be great, but he might not be the best guitar instructor. Mike Sigel may be great...but having the gift to convey this wisdom to others is not his strongest attribute.

In most cases, the best teachers for any subject are generally teachers by profession, and exceptional at what they teach.

This is definitely the case with Jerry's DVD set. I have never seen him in a tournament against Appleton or Reyes. I don't have any of his books. He reminds me of my grandfather. However, he is to pool instruction what Reyes is to playing the game.

Jerry has found a way to deliver deceptively complicated principals and fundamentals in a manner that is so well done you're not even aware of the knowledge being imparted to you. Moreover, the delivery is exceedingly accessible and applicable. To watch him, he is a humble man with a near permanent smile and a visibly sincere joy and love for showing people how to play the game.

I learned more from 5 hours with this set than with probably over 1000 hours of a few professional lessons, books, and dvds combined. I actually plan to go back and watch it with a notebook.

Prior to watching and absorbing the wisdom contained in this set I was happy to have a 6 ball run in 8-ball. I'm just a banger by all means. I ran a rack in 8 ball once in my life. ...After seeing this video I ran a rack of 8 ball twice in the same night. Now...to all you players out there that can do this with ease....cut me some slack. I enjoy the game, but I could never get past the plateau I was on.

Jerry's video explained to me three things that immediately changed my game and how I play it. I finally got a total understanding of the "correct" stroke. I know those of you that can do this, or are in a circle with people that know how to do this, think nothing of it. But in my circle, it was great to learn. I also learned about "tangents" wich improved my cue ball control from "lucky leave" to "wow!" Lastly, I learned a lot about physics.

So there you have it. I would purchase this DVD set if it were 200.00 easy. I spent more than that on lessons and got nowhere near as much out of it as I did from this DVD set.

Jerry should be commended for this undertaking. When I read all the hullaballoo about this dvd being a classic and a bookmark in Jerry's legacy I thought to myself, "that pretty creative marketing." Now, having watched and learned, I couldnt agree more. This set belongs up there at the highest echelon of pool instruction. In fact, I would say this is the best. A set like this is many years overdue.

Congratulations. My most sincere thanks for this set. Where was it 20 years ago?

So there you have it. Abandon any reservations you may have had concerning this set. if you're on the fence about it, jump off. if you didn't even consider buying it...you better.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Definitely a beginner/intermediate oriented video, but it modernizes 'How to Play Pool Right' and that was much needed. It really needed to be stretched out into 3 discs and now it has that opportunity.

There's a lot of information packed on these three discs. A lot of it is stuff that is simply overlooked, like how to potentially handle wearing glasses or how to handle hangers. Positional play is taught not only from the perspective of what can I do, but what can't I do. That approach is great, particularly once a beginner starts messing with English and thinking they can do anything from anywhere.

Jerry Briesath is still the most approachable to someone just picking up a cue for the first time. This 3 disc set should be sold as a starter kit with a cue and some chalk.

I played my whole life, and I have to say Jerry's DVD's have volumns of info I needed when I was at the top of my game. Its one thing to play the game...quite another to KNOW the game. Having BOTH does a player well.
When Jerry showed me his Set I was looking for 1 more product to start selling. I loved when he agreed we both thought we would do great. See you all in Vegas!!! PM for info.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
i don't consider myself a beginner or intermediate player by any means. I've been playing pool at a fairly high level for over 10 years and I still got a ton of great information from Jerry B.'s videos.

The 3 Disc set far surpasses anything on the market as far as an all around lesson. What he's charging is not nearly enough for all of the information given.

He and Mark Wilson do an excellent job communicating with the viewer, the production is of high quality and I learned a ton. I made immediate adjustments to my setup that gave me instant results. After watching these, I'm already a better pool player in my opinion.

Thank you Mr. Briesath for the wealth of knowledge you have shared.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
i don't consider myself a beginner or intermediate player by any means. I've been playing pool at a fairly high level for over 10 years and I still got a ton of great information from Jerry B.'s videos.

The 3 Disc set far surpasses anything on the market as far as an all around lesson. What he's charging is not nearly enough for all of the information given.

He and Mark Wilson do an excellent job communicating with the viewer, the production is of high quality and I learned a ton. I made immediate adjustments to my setup that gave me instant results. After watching these, I'm already a better pool player in my opinion.

Thank you Mr. Briesath for the wealth of knowledge you have shared.

Once everyone hears about Jerry's DVD set and seeing there are over 50 different topics....well like you said its for every level. I love the way the DVD's are set up...so easy to learn and go back to. For the price I was floored too! I should have Jerry's DVD Set on my website soon....that's on my honey-do list (I'm not your normal wife) you can order with paypal robindodson@ix.netcom.com
The reviews are awesome I remember reading the ones about "Mastering the Jump Shot" how cool it is to read about something you made. So I have been copying the reviews and sending them to Jerry. Thank you for taking the time to post!

rakmskr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool lesson

This DVD in my opinion is the best instuctional video ever made, You can not go wrong buying this set if you want to get better at pool. now rakmskr

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Once everyone hears about Jerry's DVD set and seeing there are over 50 different topics....well like you said its for every level. I love the way the DVD's are set up...so easy to learn and go back to. For the price I was floored too! I should have Jerry's DVD Set on my website soon....that's on my honey-do list (I'm not your normal wife) you can order with paypal robindodson@ix.netcom.com
The reviews are awesome I remember reading the ones about "Mastering the Jump Shot" how cool it is to read about something you made. So I have been copying the reviews and sending them to Jerry. Thank you for taking the time to post!

I have 24 copies left I'm not sure if I will be in Vegas this year... anyone want a copy they are MAP $59.95 I'll throw in the shipping USA only
Use PayPal robindodson@ix.netcom.com

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had mine for quite a while now. I keep reviewing it and always come up with some new info that I missed in previous viewings.

This is a great set with lot's of really good stuff. My wife who is just starting to play (about 1 year now) is already getting better after watching.

Very highly recommended purchase for your video library.

Limpkinw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry got me in to pool back in '92 when he started a Jr league at his local hall. I played for 5-6 years and became a quite capable player on a local level. Due to kids /marriage etc I fell out of the game.
I picked up this DVD when I got back into the game and it was an excellent refresher. I am nearing or at the level I played at before.

Almost every night when I play in my basement I put one of the DVD's on in the background, picking up nuggets of info here and there. Tonight I ran 4 straight racks of 9 ball before missing on the 9 in the 5th game. Without this CD I would still be finding my way back.

Thanks for bringing me into the game Jerry and thanks for bringing me back!

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
I recived Jerrys 3 dvd set today thanks to Ozone.
Jerry has been teaching forever and it shows on the dvd. This is an excellent instruction manual to have in you libary.
Thankyou Jerry Briesath.
Cheers