Old
  (#46)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-20-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
Think like a sniper. Take the cue and look down it from behind the butt, with the tip on the table in front of the ball. Then stoop somewhat and make sure it is pointed where you think it is. Adjust now.

Remember the driver learner, looking over the hood to the immediate road and over steering. Learning to drive to the lane well ahead is the adjustment needed. Getting down before getting lined up is like the learner looking over the hood at the immediate road. The sniper perspective is gone and the gunfighter shooting from the hip comes to mind. The problem for gunfighters has a label - Boot Hill.

My advice - holster that thing and get out your rifle.
thanks pard
as larry said above
appreciate yur perspective
*tips hat*

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#47)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2020, 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=evergruven;6585221]this makes me think of my own alignment routine
I don't know what it looks like until I'm down
so I get down, but if it doesn't look/feel right
I adjust my body (mostly my feet) until it does
if it looks or if I feel really off
I get up and start over

this process seems to work ok for me
but I don't think I see other folks do the same pre-shot shuffle
anyway, I think it's good that I'm actively trying to unify my body and cue
but can I improve my stance, I wonder?

I totally agree with this. I HAVE to get down to see/feel the shot. Being 6'6''

When I walk up to the shot, I aim a certain part of my torso the same way every time to create the same shot line-walk-up feeeeeeeeeeel.

Once I'm down on the shot, I observe my shot line and the obj. ball, and most important I make SURE I'm swinging the cue straight at my target spot on the cue ball while I look up and back.

If I'm aiming a little too much left or right, I rise up and move both feet at the same time, either left or right. I then get back down and ck it again.

I've found with my transition from Maple to the LD shafts I often get up off the shot allot, most every shot, I'm rebooting my walk-ups.

Having played 50 yrs with maple shafts that flex, my walk-ups were already ingrained. Those maple shaft walk ups, allowed for the squirt.

As I keep at it with the LD shafts its beginning to get easier, I'm beginning to get that LD shaft feel. I'm closing in on it being correct the first time I'm down.

This will take allot more hours at the table, till my walk-up in relation to the cue ball and the shot line becomes more natural and second nature.

Soon I'll not be up/down allot on each shot, like I am now. Getting the feeeeeeeeeeel of the LD's w/o squirt is new to me. Doesn't feel natural yet.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#48)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2020, 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Island Drive;6585272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
this makes me think of my own alignment routine
I don't know what it looks like until I'm down
so I get down, but if it doesn't look/feel right
I adjust my body (mostly my feet) until it does
if it looks or if I feel really off
I get up and start over

this process seems to work ok for me
but I don't think I see other folks do the same pre-shot shuffle
anyway, I think it's good that I'm actively trying to unify my body and cue
but can I improve my stance, I wonder?

I totally agree with this. I HAVE to get down to see/feel the shot. Being 6'6''

When I walk up to the shot, I aim a certain part of my torso the same way every time to create the same shot line-walk-up feeeeeeeeeeel.

Once I'm down on the shot, I observe my shot line and the obj. ball, and most important I make SURE I'm swinging the cue straight at my target spot on the cue ball while I look up and back.

If I'm aiming a little too much left or right, I rise up and move both feet at the same time, either left or right. I then get back down and ck it again.

I've found with my transition from Maple to the LD shafts I often get up off the shot allot, most every shot, I'm rebooting my walk-ups.

Having played 50 yrs with maple shafts that flex, my walk-ups were already ingrained. Those maple shaft walk ups, allowed for the squirt.

As I keep at it with the LD shafts its beginning to get easier, I'm beginning to get that LD shaft feel. I'm closing in on it being correct the first time I'm down.

This will take allot more hours at the table, till my walk-up in relation to the cue ball and the shot line becomes more natural and second nature.

Soon I'll not be up/down allot on each shot, like I am now. Getting the feeeeeeeeeeel of the LD's w/o squirt is new to me. Doesn't feel natural yet.
I'm pretty sure that part of the reason I adjust so much
is that I just haven't put the hours on the table, in total
I think if I continue to want to get better and keep playing regularly
the game will come more naturally, and I won't need to adjust as much
I guess the concept is the same
you have a new cue
so it's taking time for you to figure things out too
one thing I like about pool tho
is that improvement can be very measurable
I think we're on the right track

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#49)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
for most pool players their trunk is angled to the shot line and their head position has their nose not pointing parallel with the shaft ie their eyes are not equidistant to the object ball contact point when down on the shot
So if you are not square when in the shooting position
Why align square?
That was my thinking when I started the thread
I personally align with my right foot on the shot line and left foot forward
My head looking a little left of my chest not in a T
Then I step into the shot
My pre shot routine is consistent
I was curious to know if there was a better way
The responses so far have given me something to think about
Dr. Dave posted a video with standing square and walking in. Try it that way, because we are made to sight on objects by squaring off to them. Starting square has even improved some of my students with visual impairment or a glass eye.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority)

Old
  (#50)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
...... The other principle is that once the body learns the feel of the alignment, the body must move to the aligned cue. Moving the cue to the body because “it feels right” destroys the alignment that went before. The eyes must find the line of aim and stay there and then the body moves to the aligned cue where it needs to be.
Well put. This is key right here. The pool cue leads the way. Then the body sets up based on the cue position.

The reason players develop a chicken wing is because they place their body down first and then bring the cue to the body. When you place your body down first, the tendency is to straddle the line of the shot because your head is naturally centered between your shoulders, leaving no room for the pool cue other than to pull it under your chest.

Result ---- Chicken wing!

Old
  (#51)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2020, 02:49 AM

I found this yesterday. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPy...A&index=2&t=0s

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Old
  (#52)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2020, 04:06 AM

The thing that has helped me the most is not to focus on getting my head directly over the shot line while standing.

I find that for me, that results in a lot of foot movement to get balanced as I get down into my stance.

Instead I just worry about getting my foot on the line and then bend down into my stance. So instead of my head coming down vertically,it is going down and to the right.

At least that's what it feels like.

I'll try to take a video later to review.

Old
  (#53)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2020, 05:27 AM

Video in reference to my post above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG0sBLf9ec

I lay the stick down on the table to represent the shotline. While you can't see my back foot, it's not hard to tell that it is on the line.

Meanwhile, my head is slightly to (my) left of the line. But everything looks to be in alignment once I get down into my stance.

For the record, I can visualize the shot while standing just fine even though my head doesn't appear to be directly over the shotline.

*Side note* I notice a tendency to pull the cue towards my body on my backswing. What would cause that and how do I fix it?

Old
  (#54)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-16-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post
Video in reference to my post above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG0sBLf9ec

I lay the stick down on the table to represent the shotline. While you can't see my back foot, it's not hard to tell that it is on the line.

Meanwhile, my head is slightly to (my) left of the line. But everything looks to be in alignment once I get down into my stance.

For the record, I can visualize the shot while standing just fine even though my head doesn't appear to be directly over the shotline.

*Side note* I notice a tendency to pull the cue towards my body on my backswing. What would cause that and how do I fix it?
Your elbow might be a little “tucked” toward your body...

pj
chgo

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: