Is $500 for Jet JWBS-CS14 bandsaw a good deal?

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am saving up for a Grizzly ultimate or deluxe 14 inch bandsaw but there is a Jet bandsaw that is being sold locally. It's upgraded to include the jet miter and rip fence, upgraded power switch and also come with Jet roll around base - selling for $500. Is this a good deal? I've read fairly good reviews on this bandsaw. Should I snatch this up tonight?

sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6024369133

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You can buy mine so I can buy the Laguna.
It's a pain in arse to change blades and line it up perfectly.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Nearly every piece of equipment I own is used and here are my rules.

Make a list of everything you could possibly want and learn everything you can before one of them pops up. This includes how to test.

Never pay more than 50%.

Show up with cash. Making an offer and then coming back is always a bad idea, unless it's something that needs a trailer. Then leave a deposit and get a receipt. Sellers can be desperate and seeing cash motivates.

To address your specific point. Grizzly 555 is well revered and for 150.00 more, I'd get that instead. That's if you want new. I've seen 555's for 400.00 as well. I've spent time with Grizzly and Jet tech support and they were both pretty good.

Laguna=another Taiwan(unless you want to pay 4k for an 18 inch Italian) saw painted a different color. Maybe the CS, which pretty much drove them into the ground, has improved. I have a Grizzly 514x that I bought 7 years ago and it's been fine.

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I will use the bandsaw mainly for cutting lumber into turning blocks for cuemaking. cutting point blanks and maybe a bandsaw that cuts cleanly and capable of making very thin cuts for veneer type work.

I thought that Jet was a better quality than grizzly and that is why i ask the experts here. I am glad to get your opinions as I was really interested on this saw but now not so much. For sure it's going to be far better than my craftsman 9 inch bandsaw but for my budget of $500 - $700, I want the best quality I could get.

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nearly every piece of equipment I own is used and here are my rules.

Make a list of everything you could possibly want and learn everything you can before one of them pops up. This includes how to test.

Never pay more than 50%.

Show up with cash. Making an offer and then coming back is always a bad idea, unless it's something that needs a trailer. Then leave a deposit and get a receipt. Sellers can be desperate and seeing cash motivates.

To address your specific point. Grizzly 555 is well revered and for 150.00 more, I'd get that instead. That's if you want new. I've seen 555's for 400.00 as well. I've spent time with Grizzly and Jet tech support and they were both pretty good.

Laguna=another Taiwan(unless you want to pay 4k for an 18 inch Italian) saw painted a different color. Maybe the CS, which pretty much drove them into the ground, has improved. I have a Grizzly 514x that I bought 7 years ago and it's been fine.

The Laguna is great, old models were italalian made standard, now only hd model is Italian, Randy ive used them and it is definately worth the extra money.
Plus Laguna has hq in Irvine so support is local.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
The Laguna is great, old models were italalian made standard, now only hd model is Italian, Randy ive used them and it is definately worth the extra money.
Plus Laguna has hq in Irvine so support is local.

Well, their support is what got them into trouble...
You can come try out my 19" Grizzly and see if the Laguna is worth 2k more. I spoke to them back when I was shopping. I have never used a Laguna, so I'm not qualified to say, but they left a bad taste in my mouth so I never plan on buying from them.

My bandsaw and dust collector are the only machines I've purchased new and are both Grizzly.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Grizzly

Here is a video wood shop tour, Jake has a gang of grizzly and other equipment. He swears by his 17 inch grizzly, he loves it so much he bought two.
Neat the laguna equipment too.

https://youtu.be/5NngZW9mvSk

Rob.M

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
So after looking at the specs side by side, I would say the best bang for the dollar is the Grizzly. first, it has a 4" dust collection port compared to the 2" the Jet has. Also, the Grizzly comes Brand new with roller guides...and 3rd, it comes with a Warrantee, where as the Jet which has been 'upgraded' whether it was done right or not....with NO warrantee.
Now considering the Grizzly brand new is only about just a shy under $200 more including shipping right to your front door, I would hold out and get the Grizzly. I own tools from both companies and they both perform well, but The new Grizz has it over the used , modified Jet in this deal.
Dave

Last edited:

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after looking at the specs side by side, I would say the best bang for the dollar is the Grizzly. first, it has a 4" dust collection port compared to the 2" the Jet has. Also, the Grizzly comes Brand new with roller guides...and 3rd, it comes with a Warrantee, where as the Jet which has been 'upgraded' whether it was done right or not....with NO warrantee.
Now considering the Grizzly brand new is only about just a shy under $200 more including shipping right to your front door, I would hold out and get the Grizzly. I own tools from both companies and they both perform well, but The new Grizz has it over the used , modified Jet in this deal.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I've decided to go with a brand new Grizzly. Saving up until I can get one. The only question remains is which wheel is better, cast
iron or aluminum wheels?

mark smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can buy mine so I can buy the Laguna.
It's a pain in arse to change blades and line it up perfectly.
:thumbup:
Joey

I bought the Laguna SUV 14" (not the 14-twelve) about 3 years ago. I sold my 14" grizzly for less than the cost of the Resaw King blade I have on the Laguna. Have never regretted this upgrade. This saw is not Italian made but it produces table saw quality cuts for squareness and dimension.

JC

Coos Cues
Dave

Both tires fell off of my new grizzly within a year or so. Seemed inappropriate to me.

I admit I don't always relieve the pressure when done but still.

JC

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Both tires fell off of my new grizzly within a year or so. Seemed inappropriate to me.

I admit I don't always relieve the pressure when done but still.

JC

That sucks. It also sucks when you forget to retension a 250.00 blade and power up the machine...