Identifying Players in Old BW Group Picture

middleofnowhere

Registered
Wow this is an amazing cast of actors! Thank you to all who offered info on the names of the players. I wish invitationals like these still existed to promote pool and comraderie....
Thanks again to all who offered suggestions!
In old movies it can be hard to identify actors sometimes if you don't already know. They had the studio system and each studio usually had their own version of the popular actors of the day and they look alike.

Here is an example

https://www.biography.com/people/john-barrymore-9200404

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0929925/

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
3rd guy on left

Some think Bob Hope. I thought earlier it could be Dick York. Now I'm adding Jack Lemmon to the list of possibilities.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Capture.jpg...................

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy behind the 'fifth from the left' MUST be Groucho

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys did a good job of nailing most of them, even though some questions remain. Berle could play pool. He hung around the New York poolrooms as a kid and did some hustling. Al Sunshine told me he could play. Fats was a good friend of his as well.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still wondering if the gent on the left is Slamming Sammy Sneade. It sure does look like him. Friend of mine (who has now past away) was one of Sneade's best'est friends and toured around with Sammy when they were young and out hustling the golf world,,sorta a coincidence they had to do that to make money back then, isn't it, The old gent refereed to above John Yeman and was called Slickem Yeman, He would do golf clinics around the area here in Southwest Va and had one hell of a repertoire of Golf trick shots, he would perform. I used to bend elbows with him at the local Elks lodge and listen to the stories about he and Sneade being on the road together and running around taking down scores and all comers,

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I see your name it makes me think of the Incredible Hulk!!

:thumbup: Lou Ferrigno

Yes, I get a lot of that. For awhile, back in the 70's, I'd get, "Are you related to Ed Figueroa, the Yankee's pitcher?" A few years back, I had a brief flurry of association with Nelson Figueroa, a pitcher for the Mets.

I'd be at the pool room and, as I am located in Cardinal Nation, the game would be on the big screen TV. We're playing the Mets. I am trying to practice and Joe Buck -- the Cardinal's broadcaster, whom I can normally ignore -- pierces my brain with, "Figueroa winds up and it's a strike." I miss.

I set up a tricky back cut I've been working on and Buck intones, "Figueroa was just recently called up from the minors." I jaw the ball.

So I try to work on my banks. And Buck puts one right down the middle of my central cortex, "Figueroa puts one in tight and hits Pujols!"

I order a beer and watch the rest of the game.

Lou Figueroa

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
Yes, I get a lot of that. For awhile, back in the 70's, I'd get, "Are you related to Ed Figueroa, the Yankee's pitcher?" A few years back, I had a brief flurry of association with Nelson Figueroa, a pitcher for the Mets.

I'd be at the pool room and, as I am located in Cardinal Nation, the game would be on the big screen TV. We're playing the Mets. I am trying to practice and Joe Buck -- the Cardinal's broadcaster, whom I can normally ignore -- pierces my brain with, "Figueroa winds up and it's a strike." I miss.

I set up a tricky back cut I've been working on and Buck intones, "Figueroa was just recently called up from the minors." I jaw the ball.

So I try to work on my banks. And Buck puts one right down the middle of my central cortex, "Figueroa puts one in tight and hits Pujols!"

I order a beer and watch the rest of the game.

Lou Figueroa

I'm glad you didn't get angry at my post. Who knows what could/would happen!! ;)

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Black and White pictures

Went to Tin Eye, to see where it may have been posted before. Out of 27.5B pictures/images, it came up with nothing.It does appear to be Milton Berle and the guy next to him is also an actor that I've seen on several other movies....the rest, your guess is as good as mine