WOW!! Seriously!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a 5 oncee in a tourney vs a pro. Had multiple 3s in events.

It must happen more often than every 5-10 yrs, we just don't hear about it. Of course, in a big tourney is a far smaller group of players, even though those big tourney players are obviously the best.

Last AK state tournament I played in, a guy had me down 4-0 in a race to 7. I got to the table on a dry break, ran out. Broke and ran the next 4 racks for 4-5. I broke dry, he missed, I cleaned up that rack and broke and ran the last one to win. I placed 5th/6th in that tournament with the biggest package run of 4.

Im not saying packages dont happen in tournaments, or that short races (3-5 etc) dont get ran out sometimes. But the larger pro tournaments, it does not happen often. :thumbup:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I would say running out an 8-pack after winning the lag, in a race-to-8, in 10-ball, on a Diamond with 4-1/8" corner pockets, may be one of the most impressive match performances in a long time. The only asterisk in my opinion is that they were using a magic rack - which breaks the balls up just a little bit too predictably.

Most of his breaks he made 2-3 balls and had a great shot at the 1-ball. Only one of the 8 racks did he have to hit a really nice shot to break out a ball which was tied up with another ball, and in the last rack he had to elevate slightly and spin the cue ball in order to make the 1-ball. Other than that, for a player of his caliber, after those awesome breaks was just basically reading a roadmap!
This is a match where I thought Shane might have run an 8-pack, but after finding the video again, he won 8-0, and ran a 6-pack -- which was still a very impressive match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eixplk-11C0

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Mike Tyson among others would completely disagree with you there. :thumbup:

Point is, it was a winner breaks race. The winner of the lag pulled off a huge anomaly. Running a set involves more than just being able to run the required number of balls, it requires some luck with spreads etc on the break. It just doesn't happen often in pro pool, once every 5-10 years I would guess. Maybe one of the forum statisticians keeps track of these things and can give their numbers. Last 2 times occurances I remember being talked about was Gabe Owen at the 2006 US Open, and Richie Orem in Reno, 2007 IIRC.

Instead of people being like, oh wow, we just got to see something rare and cool, like a baseball pitcher throwing a perfect game, people are saying the other guy should get a chance too. :confused:

No, he should not get a chance, it was a winners break race, the winner broke and ran the race, match over. The opponent lost.

My analogy of a boxer losing by knockout and getting another chance to tie/win after he has already lost was spot on.

I liken conversations like this to all the times I have heard league players claim 9 ball is too easy, and 10 ball should be the game. I watch as they usually cant run 3 balls consecutively, and have never ran a rack in their lives, unless it was a cosmo or some cosmic fookin fluke. But yep, 9 is too easy for them. :thumbup:

Yep, that's what people be like.

Jeff Livingston

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
when doing some 'packages run' comparisons, we have to give big respect to the difference between 9b & 10b.

Having that extra ball causes a lot more difficulty, breaking, obstructing, etc.

Watching Kaci break and run the set made me feel like I was watching something very monumental, almost historic. :thumbup:

If I can string a 3 pack in 9b I'd tinkle myself over the excitement. :wink:

As for the alternate breaks vs winner breaks formats, put me in the winner breaks column forever. Look at how much attention this 8 pack has gotten. :cool:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when doing some 'packages run' comparisons, we have to give big respect to the difference between 9b & 10b.

Having an extra ball causes a lot more difficulty, breaking, obstructing, etc.

Watching Kaci break and run the set made me feel like I was watching something very monumental, almost historic. :thumbup:

As fir the alternate breaks vs winner breaks formats, put me in the winner breaks column forever. Look at how much attention this 8 pack has gotten. :cool:

best,
brian kc

Tap tap tap! :thumbup:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The conversation about having the opponent get one inning to duplicate the 'run out the set' rule is absurd to me. In all the years of recorded pool this is the first set I've ever seen run out from the lag. 8 racks of 10 ball is a high run on film as best I can tell. So let me ask- what are the chances that Alex or anyone could match that in one inning? That would be like playing straight pool to 500 and saying that if one player runs 500 on the first turn the second player gets a chance to run 500 as well. What is the point? It is so close to impossible that it is silly to bother putting it into writing. Maybe this happens in bar table tournaments with short sets, but with big table 10 ball this is truly an exceptional case. Two back to back 8 rack runs will never happen unless players perfect the break to the level of bar box 9 ball with the magic rack.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
The conversation about having the opponent get one inning to duplicate the 'run out the set' rule is absurd to me. In all the years of recorded pool this is the first set I've ever seen run out from the lag. 8 racks of 10 ball is a high run on film as best I can tell. So let me ask- what are the chances that Alex or anyone could match that in one inning? That would be like playing straight pool to 500 and saying that if one player runs 500 on the first turn the second player gets a chance to run 500 as well. What is the point? It is so close to impossible that it is silly to bother putting it into writing. Maybe this happens in bar table tournaments with short sets, but with big table 10 ball this is truly an exceptional case. Two back to back 8 rack runs will never happen unless players perfect the break to the level of bar box 9 ball with the magic rack.
As a fan, I want to see the pros accomplish things in play that I could never do. I personally hate alternate break. Is is "fair" for Alex to lose the lag and have a guy run an 8-pack? Maybe. But it doesn't matter. What matters the most is whether something amazing "can" happen and have fans like me loving it. I want to see pros run many racks. Many more than I could do. I periodically run 3 or 4 racks on a bar table (I just ran 3 today), so I love it when I see a pro run many more than that on a tough 9-foot table.

I recall a couple matches where Jayson Shaw came back from a huge deficit to win the match. That was only possible with winner break. I don't believe that it was a 8 game deficit, but it was close. That is what I want to see.

jmarcum1984

Registered
I agree that seeing something amazing, like running an 8 pack, is something to behold. And since winner break to 8 was the format, player A won, hands down. And should be applauded.

My preference is to at least give the other opponent a chance to show his greatness as well. Winner break is awesome and allows some amazing play, and a chance for some great comebacks. Break and run 7, the other player can run a few packs and fight back for an 8-7 victory. Be perfect, and the other player would also have to be perfect (highly unlikely, but at least possible for a major come back). I can't think of another sport in which one person, or team can win without the other person or team participating at all (other than the lag).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I agree that seeing something amazing, like running an 8 pack, is something to behold. And since winner break to 8 was the format, player A won, hands down. And should be applauded.

My preference is to at least give the other opponent a chance to show his greatness as well. Winner break is awesome and allows some amazing play, and a chance for some great comebacks. Break and run 7, the other player can run a few packs and fight back for an 8-7 victory. Be perfect, and the other player would also have to be perfect (highly unlikely, but at least possible for a major come back). I can't think of another sport in which one person, or team can win without the other person or team participating at all (other than the lag).

Sonny got another chance....in his next fight.

17258018-2FB8-4FD4-A317-F56622AEA432.jpeg

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I prefer alternate break. Watching pros using magic rack and making a ball in the same pocket every time and then shooting the one ball into the same pocket every rack over and over. Is not impressive to me. I get it. They figured out how to rack and break. They are great shooters and that does impress me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Personally I prefer alternate break. Watching pros using magic rack and making a ball in the same pocket every time and then shooting the one ball into the same pocket every rack over and over. Is not impressive to me. I get it. They figured out how to rack and break. They are great shooters and that does impress me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

you make a good point but I still think winner breaks is the way to go.

How about winner breaks with refs racking; now that would be perfect . . . . .

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about this. If someone runs the set out say to 8 then the loser gets one opportunity to equal it. If they run 6 then miss they still lose

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How about this. If someone runs the set out say to 8 then the loser gets one opportunity to equal it. If they run 6 then miss they still lose

How about just accept the loss and shake your opponent’s hand?

A good competitor can give it...and he can take it.

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Just thinking that it would have been only fair for Alex to come on the table and have his turn to run 8 racks and match Kaci. Yes, slim chance he would have been matched him, but he should have had a turn, just saying.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just thinking that it would have been only fair for Alex to come on the table and have his turn to run 8 racks and match Kaci. Yes, slim chance he would have been matched him, but he should have had a turn, just saying.

If a man loses a lag and never shoots....he should just get over it.
....why demean a great event?....Kaçi shot marvelous.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap tap tap.....

Having that extra ball causes a lot more difficulty, breaking, obstructing, etc.

As for the alternate breaks vs winner breaks formats, put me in the winner breaks column forever. Look at how much attention this 8 pack has gotten. :cool:

best,
brian kc

LOL........ I Agree!!!!

Not sure if it’s been noted here.... 4 1/8” pockets on that table!!!

And.... winner breaks all the way...... if someone runs a set out on me
Count me satisfied that I got to watch something special! I was lucky
Enough to run back to back sets(they made me change tables in between)
To 5 in a B.B. 8 ball tournament once in my life, and it was a lifetime
Achievement that is very special to me, and will always be cherished.
I’m glad it wasn’t alternate break!! :wink:

Td