Calling the 9-ball question

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Grady had some good ideas about rules.
"Call the pocket on all shots. If you luck in a ball it gets spotted. The opponent has the option of making you shoot again after all misses or spotted balls."
Wish all the tournaments would adapt that.
Our league is like someone earlier commented, no 9 on the break (gets spotted) and you have to call the 9 or the 8 if its your spot(money ball)....if you snapped your opponents money ball (8), it stays in, its part of your run. When you miss, it comes back out and spotted. You can call-combo the money ball and win, but if you slop it elsewhere you lose your turn and your opponents shot. Same on the 9 ball, if you slop it in you lose your turn and shoot from where the cue ball finished....confused? We all are each time it happens to us in league.....seldom shoot for money but on a hill to hill match, and tournaments it should always be "9 ball last ball in"......that it, I'm out.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, yes, very much so, especially considering the level of work Scorsese has produced both before and after. But, again, this is all simply my opinion. Some agree with me, some to a lesser extent, some not at all. I'm fine with that.

There was another thread about COM... it wasn't a well made movie, considering
Scorsese's rep. Really didn't do justice to the book, or Fast Eddie's story... too
much Cruise hot dogging.

But for a realy bad pool movie, see Kiss Shot! Boy, is that a POS... I think it cost
like $300 to make.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But for a realy bad pool movie, see Kiss Shot! Boy, is that a POS... I think it cost like $300 to make.
I know for a fact that it cost quite a bit more than that. I was one of the many extras in the tournament scene and each extra got $75. And had to provide his own tuxedo. That scene was filmed at the Fairmont hotel in San Jose.

The movie also gives me a Bacon number of 2 since Dorian Harewood was the male lead and he was with Kevin Bacon in part of the Roots series.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
two matches of the 3000 you have probably seen and only one of them on the money ball-Saving that does not overcome the hundreds of straight-ins that were forgotten to be called imho.

Oh yea that shot was a super lucky one, it's one thing to miss the ball totally but then get a good hit, it's another to go from giving the other guy ball in hand on a whiff to making the 10 ball in the right pocket by cutting it in after going 3 rails. I think I did a post on it with a diagram when I saw it happen. Lucking balls in a pro match, happens quite a bit. Mosconi Cup, I think it was a match between Sky or another of the younger players, maybe Bergman, and Nick Van Der Berg, Nick missed a shot in the side, it went off the point into the corner. Next shot, he misses a scratch by less than a mm in the side, and does the same thing again in the same rack with just barely missing a scratch. He shit out of that rack as good as any APA 3 LOL

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know for a fact that it cost quite a bit more than that. I was one of the many extras in the tournament scene and each extra got $75. And had to provide his own tuxedo. That scene was filmed at the Fairmont hotel in San Jose.

The movie also gives me a Bacon number of 2 since Dorian Harewood was the male lead and he was with Kevin Bacon in part of the Roots series.

Was that the movie with Whoopi? I watched a bit of a pool movie with her and thought she was not that bad in the part.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that the movie with Whoopi? I watched a bit of a pool movie with her and thought she was not that bad in the part.

Yeah, Whoopi... she tried her best.. just wasn't convincing as a pool player.

I thought that might have been Kimmer and Bob in it.. there's a few other
pros lurking. It's just a bad TV movie.

Recently saw The Baltimore Bullet.. that one's OK as well.. a bit of a mess.