Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Hard or Soft "HIT"
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
ridewiththewind
♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
ridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-29-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparovII View Post
To me one of the benefits of a well designed, laminated shaft is, of course, lower deflection but also the increased stiffness allows for a longer pro taper and a smaller diameter tip, if that's what you prefer. I happen to like the 12-13" pro taper with a 12.75mm tip that's offered on the Predator 314 and some of the other premium laminated shafts.To me, it's simply more comfortable and allows for an effortless follow through. What I give up in feel I make up for it with better playability. Conversely, I have tried conventional shafts with long pro tapers and smaller tip diameters and most of them feel too whippy and their play is less consistent.The "holy grail" is to be able to offer a low deflection shaft with a long pro taper with the great feel of a fine conventional shaft. I've heard about and tried some custom made shafts on some of the best cues and I still haven't played a conventional shaft that offers the same low deflection of a Predator 314 or Z shaft. They feel better than a laminated shaft but they inevitably deflect the cue ball more and have a shorter or conical taper, which I don't feel comfortable with.

You know, it is possible the have a dense, or old growth shaft turned to a Predator taper, if you find the right maker. What you need to understand is that each maker has their own theory as to how a cue should play/feel. Therefore, they will pick a shaft taper which they feel gives the optimum performance when married to their butt. If they get it right...they will garner a reputation for producing consistently solid players. That is not to say that they are not capable of producing a shaft with a taper different than their norm...one needs to only ask. Some will, some won't.

I am not a big fan of the laminated shaft...I feel you are doing a maker a disservice when you don't let them build their cue.

Case in point would be SW....they are known for a very specific type of 'hit'...and have made a very good living so far sticking to those specifications. If you put a lam shaft on a SW...it just ceases to hit like a true SW should hit. Just sayin'...

Lisa

There are 350 varieties of shark, not counting loan and pool.
L. M. Boyd

What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?
- Jeph Jacques

Old
  (#17)
jeff olney
AzB Silver Member
jeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond reputejeff olney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-11-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewiththewind View Post
You know, it is possible the have a dense, or old growth shaft turned to a Predator taper, if you find the right maker. What you need to understand is that each maker has their own theory as to how a cue should play/feel. Therefore, they will pick a shaft taper which they feel gives the optimum performance when married to their butt. If they get it right...they will garner a reputation for producing consistently solid players. That is not to say that they are not capable of producing a shaft with a taper different than their norm...one needs to only ask. Some will, some won't.

I am not a big fan of the laminated shaft...I feel you are doing a maker a disservice when you don't let them build their cue.

Case in point would be SW....they are known for a very specific type of 'hit'...and have made a very good living so far sticking to those specifications. If you put a lam shaft on a SW...it just ceases to hit like a true SW should hit. Just sayin'...

Lisa
Lisa, i test wood hardness by the pitch sound it makes when tapping two pieces together. ebony and coco is high pitch, maple although hard is a lower pitch. just a tip can make a hardwood play soft or a softer wood play hard. Jeff O

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: