Owning A Pool Table

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A table is a hobby all by itself. Like an old car. Take it apart, put it back together. Change the cushions if you want...or don't. Get a cheap stapler (air) and some cheap staples. Learn everything you can...just because learning is good.

The kind of table really doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a place where you can learn to make shots. Sooner or later, if you take the opportunity seriously, you will learn how to make every shot on the table.

A table of your own is the best teacher money can buy. If it's 2 in the morning, I'll be shooting pool with the greatest players of all time. No wife, no dog, no cat, no children, no grands, just me and Mosconi in a battle to the death. Eat your heart out, Fats!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the dumbest thing I’ve heard this year.

Owning a pool table is the best thing to ever do.
And spend the money to get a good one and
make it the right size for the room it will be in.
Go smaller table rather than play with short cues.

Nothing wrong with a 7’ Diamond or equivalent.
Make the pockets tight and you will get better and
also provide a source of home entertainment too.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once again I'm wondering if you people can help me out. Is it a good idea for a person who is into pool get a pool table? I have a friend over here that has been playing for about 15 years and he has never owned a pool table. He said it was cause he was scared that if he got a pool table that he would get tired of the sport or bored of it. Any of you think this is right or...does having a pool table lengthen the experience of the sport?

Ridiculous either you love it or don't. If you do get a table

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play, the table will pay for itself.
I save $10 and 30 minutes of travel time every time I use my home table. I still like to get out but play at home about 5 times a week.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. If you have a table you can practice now and get an edge on the people who don't have a place to play.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't own 1, but I've always found the contemplation of 1 piece or 3 piece slate to be something serious

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Yup. If you have a table you can practice now and get an edge on the people who don't have a place to play.

And then you'll start hearing "well I don't have a table at home like you do"

At which point you can remind them you were born naked and poor just like they were and nothing you can do about their life choices.

As you take their money:wink:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Holy thread necromancy - owning a table is great if you can.

BUT

I still don't get enough time on it as I would like. By the time I'm home from work, dinner taken care of, exercise done, house chores buttoned up, family time spent, dog walked etc. - - it's like 11:00 or 11:30PM and I'll pop downstairs to shoot for like an hour.

On the weekends, I usually get a few more hours in.

The biggest perk is all I have to do is walk downstairs if I get free time - no need to head out the door and hope a good table is available. The equipment is always in good shape, I have a Ballstar so the balls are always as clean as I like em. If I want to clean the cue ball, I pop it in the Ballstar for a quick polish.

But I still probably get less time on the table than a bunch of the guys at the pool hall put in a week. But, that's how I can afford the table and balance the other things that are important to me.

Last edited:

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a 7 foot diamond 18 months ago. best thing i have ever done. i play 3 hours a day, 7 days a week. sometimes i listen to the radio, sometimes to the tv i have hanging on the wall. very relaxing, alot of fun, and i have improved to a pretty good player.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to say that while I've loved having a home table I haven't taken enough advantage of it in the two years or so I've had it. It's a GCIII set up to play tough. Though the pockets are a reasonable 4.5" it will punish you for a poor stroke.

Mostly I've used it to bang balls around but will have a friend over once a week. Drills have really bored me playing alone. I haven't put proper effort in and my practice has just been lazy. Now that I'm sticking mostly to home, trying to observe the distancing from others that's being called for, I'm approaching my alone time with new vigor. My inner introvert is rediscovering the pleasures of shooting by myself and I'm addressing flaws that have come from just being lazy about the game.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Have to say that while I've loved having a home table I haven't taken enough advantage of it in the two years or so I've had it. It's a GCIII set up to play tough. Though the pockets are a reasonable 4.5" it will punish you for a poor stroke.

Mostly I've used it to bang balls around but will have a friend over once a week. Drills have really bored me playing alone. I haven't put proper effort in and my practice has just been lazy. Now that I'm sticking mostly to home, trying to observe the distancing from others that's being called for, I'm approaching my alone time with new vigor. My inner introvert is rediscovering the pleasures of shooting by myself and I'm addressing flaws that have come from just being lazy about the game.

This is why I love to play straight pool if I'm playing alone. Every time I get into third rack, the pressure really starts to mount and makes me focus more on trying to get to 50+.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I love to play straight pool if I'm playing alone. Every time I get into third rack, the pressure really starts to mount and makes me focus more on trying to get to 50+.

It's actually my favorite game but I've never practiced it alone. Now's the time, I think.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol....

My Living/Family room is my Game Room, Kitchen & Dining Room. It has full dinette set with 6 chairs, a 6 legged 10 foot Arcade Snooker Table & an 8 foot Pool Table. It is 35 x 45 in size.

My Buddy's home has 35 x 45 room with a 9 foot Diamond, a 7 Foot Diamond, a 9 foot 6 legged Brunswick Kling Pool Table & a Brunswick 6 legged Arcade Snooker Table. It's a grand place to be...

I think both of those might still qualify as 'pool halls' in a lot of places! :thumbup:

td

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have room, can afford it, and enjoy pool enough to consider the thought of owning a table, then it's one of the nicest privileges there is!

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have room, can afford it, and enjoy pool enough to consider the thought of owning a table, then it's one of the nicest privileges there is!

Well said & proof positive for planning to become an owner. You may have to build an extra bedroom, for your friends & their all-nighters...