Rule question: three fouls and rebreak

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After three consecutive fouls, does the opponent have the choice to accept the table as is? The rules I first encountered (at bca-pool.com, and also at http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=119&pagetype=rules#4.11) state that the offending player has to rerack the balls and perform an opening break shot.

However I have seen other rules, eg in Phil Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool appendix, that state the opponent has the choice of accepting the table or making the offending player rebreak.

Is there an official rule that applies here? Or is it up to the tournament/league etc as to how the post-three-foul situation is handled?

Thanks,
Chris

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the rules have been updated to say the there is no choice. Three fouls and you rerack.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the rules have been updated to say the there is no choice. Three fouls and you rerack.

Yes, in terms of world-standardized rules (WPA), the current set of rules (effective 1/1/2008) no longer allow the choice.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Which is a good thing. For the life of me, it seems committees, politicians, organizers, and the like, once they catch up on whatever it is they do, they get bored and start fixing things that aren't broke.

By bastardizing that rule and giving the incoming player an option, they eliminated a big strategic move. At least they were bored once again, and fixed it back. :smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which is a good thing. For the life of me, it seems committees, politicians, organizers, and the like, once they catch up on whatever it is they do, they get bored and start fixing things that aren't broke.

By bastardizing that rule and giving the incoming player an option, they eliminated a big strategic move. At least they were bored once again, and fixed it back. :smile:
Since I was the main editor of the current rules and at least partly responsible for the change back, I resemble that remark.:wink: I'm not sure why they made the change to "incoming player chooses" way back when.

The traditional (and current) rule does allow one rare strategy that is not available otherwise. Suppose you are on two and you have a very tough shot that might be a foul. If you make it and foul, you get the protection of the rerack.

cstrombe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification. I had always thought it was forced rerack until recently, where I heard commentators in some of the streamed matches mention that there was a choice, then saw Capelle's book. Forced rerack makes more sense strategically as you mention.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The traditional (and current) rule does allow one rare strategy that is not available otherwise. Suppose you are on two and you have a very tough shot that might be a foul. If you make it and foul, you get the protection of the rerack.
I just thought of a possible situation that this applies to. The tough shot is a kick with a lot of side to a ball hung in a pocket. Maybe you will scratch but if you make it there is an easy shot next. And if you miss the ball completely, there will be a rerack.

Last edited: