Interesting brass spacer on a cue...

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I just picked up a local deal McDermott D-1 cue, which is actually in amazing condition. Seller told me it was his dad's cue, who passed away recently and was an avid pool player. From the overall condition of the cue and how nice the shaft and tip look, this guy took great care of his equipment.

Anyway, the cue looks almost untouched, except for this little brass spacer sandwiched between the butt/shaft.

Comparing to another D-1 I have, this weight seems to make the classic McDermott hit feel a bit more sterile and give the cue a tad bit of forward balance (which I'm guessing is the point). I don't think I like it much as I come from the camp that think old McDermott D-series cues are the bomb, just the way they came from the factory...

Anyway, have any of you seen or used spacers like the one in the attached photo before?

Attachments

• D-1 Spacer.jpg
    D-1 Spacer.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 484

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like an add on not original. Perhaps the shaft is not the original and needed a spacer. Maybe the pin was replaced and does not fit correctly. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen washers added like this for weight. Most likely this was done by the user, it's kind of a "hack". It can be tapped and screwed on and/or glued on, and/or just a loose washer.

A minor curiosity and hopefully not glued on.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
adjustment of the balance point or to give a stiffer hit than the McDermott Implex joint normally gives. This is absolutely not a stock item. I have one of them there D-series sticks myself.

Lesh

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I have seen washers added like this for weight. Most likely this was done by the user, it's kind of a "hack". It can be tapped and screwed on and/or glued on, and/or just a loose washer.

A minor curiosity and hopefully not glued on.

It's glued on like a mo-fo... Might have to see about having it removed. Would probably take a fair amount of heat, and I don't want to damage the joint. Will show it to the house pro at Strokers tonight and get his thoughts.

Not a big fan of the change in hit, but being that I'm tall I could get used to that extra 1/4" inch. The Butt of this cue is 1/4" longer than my D-26. And when I put one of my long shafts from the D-26 on this cue, I end up with a cue almost 61" long, which I do like.

Going to play with it a bit and not do anything hasty... but I will probably end up removing it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's glued on like a mo-fo... Might have to see about having it removed. Would probably take a fair amount of heat, and I don't want to damage the joint. Will show it to the house pro at Strokers tonight and get his thoughts.

Not a big fan of the change in hit, but being that I'm tall I could get used to that extra 1/4" inch. The Butt of this cue is 1/4" longer than my D-26. And when I put one of my long shafts from the D-26 on this cue, I end up with a cue almost 61" long, which I do like.

Going to play with it a bit and not do anything hasty... but I will probably end up removing it.

If you want it off, talk to a cue repair guy with experience.

Heat could be used, but it could be turned off and the joint faced in essentially one operation. I would be concerned about heating it as well.

Let the repair man decide.

Maybe just leave it alone as a conversation point? And as you say, the length improvement.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, you should just leave that thing alone.

Unless it starts getting trouble and get rid of it.

or maybe keeping it will ruin your stroke for life and you will always always look for a forward balanced cue that doesn't exist... and not find it. Enter enter

oh hell **** it. Quit pool. It's a silly thing to know how to do anyway.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

or maybe keeping it will ruin your stroke for life and you will always always look for a forward balanced cue that doesn't exist... and not find it. Enter enter

LOL! Now that's funny! :thumbup:

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member

LOL! Yea, right.... So true.... Us men, with our silly balls and sticks. ;)

Used the modded D-1 as a break cue last night.... Just WOW!

Otherwise, it hits like crap. But it spreads balls around the pool table and parks the cue ball like an ace. Much better results than I get with the J/B cue I normally use...