how are ya'll doing in league ?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a pretty good week.. Bought a new playing cue and break cue. I thought it would be like starting over this week. But I won in 8 ball on Wednesday Night 3-0 and I won last night in 9 ball 15-5. Feeling pretty good even though I am still adjusting to speed with the new Cue.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won 12-8 in 9, played a makeup match against a really strong 5 and won 5-0 for a 3-0, then played the last 8 ball match for this week against a strong 6. Must have been past my bed time or I had a few too many drinks because I played the worst match I have in a while and lost 4-2. Dogged so many shots.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a pretty good week.. Bought a new playing cue and break cue. I thought it would be like starting over this week. But I won in 8 ball on Wednesday Night 3-0 and I won last night in 9 ball 15-5. Feeling pretty good even though I am still adjusting to speed with the new Cue.

What did you get?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did you get?

I bought a Mezz Playing Cue with a EX Pro Shaft. I have to admit I am really liking it. I bought a BK Rush for breaking. I am not sold on it yet.

I wanted to ask in here instead of the main forum. For us league people. Do you guys ever inspect racks? If you dry break twice or 3 times. Do you ever go over and lean over. Take a look? Bad Sportmanship to question or look?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Mezz Playing Cue with a EX Pro Shaft. I have to admit I am really liking it. I bought a BK Rush for breaking. I am not sold on it yet.

I wanted to ask in here instead of the main forum. For us league people. Do you guys ever inspect racks? If you dry break twice or 3 times. Do you ever go over and lean over. Take a look? Bad Sportmanship to question or look?

I think looking is fine. I watch them rack and if I see it moving a lot ill check, or if I have racked and find it difficult. Sometimes they get pissed but its a reasonable thing to do and if they get pissed then you are well on your way to victory anyway. I dont look a lot, most people do their best I think.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They will continue to get great racks and Ill deal with whatever they give me.I don't come out to argue with idiots that would cheat me to win.I take it as a compliment.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never look at racks except tri cups or higher. Here is an incident that will tell you how much attention I pay to the rack.

Playing 8 ball in tap league . After winning a couple racks I get up and break the next rack. When I look over the table I see a half dozen solids and one lone stripe...the 9 ball. I stare in disbelief and then it dawns on me. I look. Back at every one and say....hey I thought we were playing 8 ball. My opponent had racked for 9 ball lol.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing 8 ball in tap league . After winning a couple racks I get up and break the next rack. When I look over the table I see a half dozen solids and one lone stripe...the 9 ball. I stare in disbelief and then it dawns on me. I look. Back at every one and say....hey I thought we were playing 8 ball. My opponent had racked for 9 ball lol.

LOL. That’s good... I have to laugh at that one.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't look so much for loose balls in a rack as I know how tough a well-played table can be to get a perfect rack on, but I do check to see where the front ball is in relation to the spot. If it's obviously too far forward or backward from the spot I'll ask for a re-rack.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had masters yesterday. I faced a 7/7 the first match and lost 7-4. I started a thread again ut this match concerning him spotting the 9 in one rack after he had scratched when pocketing it. Still find it funny. I lost my second match 7-1 vs a 7/8. He was playing on a whole different level than I was. Kinda happy I won 1 rack lol.

I left there and went to double jeapordy league. I faced a 7 in 8 ball and he win 5-1. I just could not do anything with him. About a half hour later I faced him again in 9 ball where he is a 7 in that also. It was a whole completely different match. I won 38-27 in 13 innings with both of us playing a couple safes in those innings. Just amazed at my game here. Break worked good.. Stayed on the right side I the next ball most if the time and had no trouble visualizing the contact point when aiming . All 3 of those seem to hold me back a lot of times but everything was firing on all 8 cylinders so to speak.

I had usapl tonight and am rated a 502 this week. I faced a 532 in 8 ball and we tied at 4 racks apiece but I won the match based on points required to win. I faced a 395....apa 4/4 in 9 ball. He won the flip and made the 9 on the snap the first rack. I won the next 6 in a row to win the match. It was a pretty decent night for me tonight. I cant say it enough.....i am really digging this usapl league.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I beat another SL6 last night five games to two (8-ball). 27 innings, he played 15 defensive shots and I played 5. He was playing safes when he didn't need to (and not really good ones at all) and got out-foxed by my own safeties/2-way shots.

Best part is that he was a young, cocky kid which made it obvious from the lag that he wanted to bury my ass. After I won the first game he semi-slammed his cue down on the adjoining table before he grabbed the rack. He won the second game, but after I took the third game, he pulled some balls out of a pocket (to rack) and slammed them down onto the cloth hard enough to startle me. At this point I knew I had HIS ass. A few racks later after I went ahead 4-2 (and me on the hill), he threw his cue down on the next table so hard I'm surprised it didn't break. All he could do after I won the last rack (and match) was to give me a weak fist-bump...not a word said. Those are the kind of matches that I get satisfaction out of winning the most.

So, I'm 7-1 this session playing all but one match against SL5's and 6's. Somewhere in the vicinity of 14-1 since I became a SL6 several years ago (before my hiatus due to health/caregiving issues). I am bound sooner or later to move up to a 7...but I do not consider myself to be a 7. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Maniac

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well saw my first example of pretty obvious sandbagging last night. The team we were playing won the last session of 8 ball pretty handily, this session they are in dead last and not even close to first place. (They have already qualified for cities). First match, they put a SL 2 up against my SL7. Now I realize this can be a good strategy if the 2 actually has a chance. This girl had zero chance. The only chance she had of winning was if a doggone meteorite fell on my guys head and made him scratch on an 8 ball.

We won the match 7-0. Then I put a SL 3 up against their best player a SL6. Their guy breaks and runs the first rack for the first game, then wins the 2nd game in 2 innings. Then its like he realized he might get bumped to a 7, so he started dogging shots, trying crazy combos, obviously trying to get the inning count up. He shot at an 8 ball hanging in the jaws 4 TIMES before finally scratching the match away.

Next I played a SL 4 against their 2nd best shooter an SL 5. Same scenario. their guy wins the first two games in a total of 4 innings, then he started looking like my8 year old shooting. Missing object balls completely, trying 3 rail kicks when he had an easy shot elsewhere...we won the match.

All this time I am not saying anything but I looked over at their captain and he just gave me a smile and a little wink. I followed him outside when he went to smoke. I politely told him that I understood what he was doing, and that while it couldn't be proven, it wasn't in the spirit of good competition, and that if they were going to dog the last match, just forfeit and let's get home early. He was shocked by the accusation and assured me that he didn't coach his team to throw matches wink, wink. He assured me he would encourage his last man to play full speed.

I sent a pretty strong 4 up against one of his SL 2's. The SL 2 boat raced my 4 in 2 straight games total of six innings for the two games....an SL 2.

First time I have seen first hand a team so blatantly trying to work the system. I would hate to play this team at cities. They cna shoot lights out and no team will know how to match up with them because they are all ranked too low...

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

If I notice that I'm getting bad racks, or its someone who has a history of poor racking, I will stand about halfway up the table while they are racking, chalking my cue and such. That way I can watch the rack and get a reasonable view of it, if it's on the spot, if the first rows are frozen.

If someone is particularly poor at it, and I can make the rack tight easily on that table myself, then I know they are either messing with me or just don't care. In those instances, I might check a little more closely.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well saw my first example of pretty obvious sandbagging last night. The team we were playing won the last session of 8 ball pretty handily, this session they are in dead last and not even close to first place. (They have already qualified for cities). First match, they put a SL 2 up against my SL7. Now I realize this can be a good strategy if the 2 actually has a chance. This girl had zero chance. The only chance she had of winning was if a doggone meteorite fell on my guys head and made him scratch on an 8 ball.

We won the match 7-0. Then I put a SL 3 up against their best player a SL6. Their guy breaks and runs the first rack for the first game, then wins the 2nd game in 2 innings. Then its like he realized he might get bumped to a 7, so he started dogging shots, trying crazy combos, obviously trying to get the inning count up. He shot at an 8 ball hanging in the jaws 4 TIMES before finally scratching the match away.

Next I played a SL 4 against their 2nd best shooter an SL 5. Same scenario. their guy wins the first two games in a total of 4 innings, then he started looking like my8 year old shooting. Missing object balls completely, trying 3 rail kicks when he had an easy shot elsewhere...we won the match.

All this time I am not saying anything but I looked over at their captain and he just gave me a smile and a little wink. I followed him outside when he went to smoke. I politely told him that I understood what he was doing, and that while it couldn't be proven, it wasn't in the spirit of good competition, and that if they were going to dog the last match, just forfeit and let's get home early. He was shocked by the accusation and assured me that he didn't coach his team to throw matches wink, wink. He assured me he would encourage his last man to play full speed.

I sent a pretty strong 4 up against one of his SL 2's. The SL 2 boat raced my 4 in 2 straight games total of six innings for the two games....an SL 2.

First time I have seen first hand a team so blatantly trying to work the system. I would hate to play this team at cities. They cna shoot lights out and no team will know how to match up with them because they are all ranked too low...

If that team was in my area and dead last in a division.. Or any where in the bottom half of the division at the end of the session they would not make it to cities.

Rules state that once you qualify you must finish in the top half of your division each session or lose eligibility. That rule is in place to prevent such incidents as you describe.

Another thing. There is such a thing as a handicap review sheet. They can be filled out describing exactly what you observed . If your area does not have them you can either write your observations on the back of the scoresheet or on a piece of paper .

In the case of the 7 deliberately missing a hanging 8 ball 4 times. One of 2 things would happen if I observed it. .

1. I would snap a picture of the shot after missing I the second time and text it to my lo describing how many times he missed said shot.

2. I would probly call him a fvckin sandbagger to his face and not be smiling when I said it.

I dont tolerate that crap when I see it and I have reported it. I dont just complain like a lot of people do saying this guy ir that girl shoots better than their handicap. I report facts I observe such as you described the 7 doing. as I said.. Not just co.plain some one who good ...or bad. Anyone can have a good night or bad night. There is a difference though between having a bad night and deliberately running up innings.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that team was in my area and dead last in a division.. Or any where in the bottom half of the division at the end of the session they would not make it to cities.

Rules state that once you qualify you must finish in the top half of your division each session or lose eligibility. That rule is in place to prevent such incidents as you describe.

Another thing. There is such a thing as a handicap review sheet. They can be filled out describing exactly what you observed . If your area does not have them you can either write your observations on the back of the scoresheet or on a piece of paper .

In the case of the 7 deliberately missing a hanging 8 ball 4 times. One of 2 things would happen if I observed it. .

1. I would snap a picture of the shot after missing I the second time and text it to my lo describing how many times he missed said shot.

2. I would probly call him a fvckin sandbagger to his face and not be smiling when I said it.

I dont tolerate that crap when I see it and I have reported it. I dont just complain like a lot of people do saying this guy ir that girl shoots better than their handicap. I report facts I observe such as you described the 7 doing. as I said.. Not just co.plain some one who good ...or bad. Anyone can have a good night or bad night. There is a difference though between having a bad night and deliberately running up innings.

Thanks for the advice. I did have a discussion with my LO, he told me that if that happened again, to start marking any obviously intentional missed shot as a defensive shot, then they would not get credit for the inning, so there would be no viable reason to dog the shot...:confused:

f that team was in my area and dead last in a division.. Or any where in the bottom half of the division at the end of the session they would not make it to cities.

That is a great rule!

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
After 5 1/2 years of not hitting a ball for various medical reasons, I'm in first place, mostly on instincts.
I did get a free lesson from a champion player the other day which got my stance & lineup back together, and I feel more comfortable stroking the ball.
He freed up my stroke because I was all scrunched up.
I couldn't properly stroke through the ball the way I was lining up, but now it's just a matter of more practice.
Feels comfortable stroking through the ball again, but I missed three super easy shots last night...very frustrating.
I need to make some kind of adjustment for the nappy cloth they use on these Valley tables.

Senior 3man 8ball VNEA

Screenshot_20180313-125629.jpg

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing OK in League this session so far...we are bringing the team out of the basement but it is taking time. I won in 8 ball this week and lost in 9 ball against a former teammate (cut him a little slack he probably didn't deserve but that is OK)...so 2-2 in 9 ball so far and 3-1 in eight ball. We are off this coming Monday with a bye...boy do I ever hate having byes in league play. Would rather play straight through and have 3-4 weeks off between sessions.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing OK in League this session so far...we are bringing the team out of the basement but it is taking time. I won in 8 ball this week and lost in 9 ball against a former teammate (cut him a little slack he probably didn't deserve but that is OK)...so 2-2 in 9 ball so far and 3-1 in eight ball. We are off this coming Monday with a bye...boy do I ever hate having byes in league play. Would rather play straight through and have 3-4 weeks off between sessions.

I hate byes also. Not sure about your area but in ours byes are a result of having an odd number of teams in the division. In that case some one has to sit out each week.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I hate byes also. Not sure about your area but in ours byes are a result of having an odd number of teams in the division. In that case some one has to sit out each week.

That's the only reason we have bye's here, odd number of teams

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of my students asked me about the mental game, and how to stop falling apart when you’re building a big lead. I gave him some Cornerman sage, sensei , Miyagi advice, and he went on to win his next two matches from the lead, crushing it for the wins. He was very happy to report to me, thanking me for such great advice.

Problem is that I’d been failing to heed my own advice. I’ve had many matches recently where I lead big, only for my opponent to come back. I actually lost recently 9-7, when I had a 5-1 lead.

I took my own sage advice last week, and when I got the big lead, I went into beast mode and got the shutout 9-0 in 9-Ball. Shutouts, 9-Ball snaps, and B&Rs make money in my leage. I think that one match might have made me $50.

So I thank my student for teaching me my own lesson.

Freddie <~~~ goals

Last edited: