how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Got to play 9-ball last night, it was one of those nights.... I was shooting pretty well (for me) and in the midst of that, I would slop something in. I shrugged my shoulders, said sorry...kept shooting. No issues...

Thing is, I kept doing it. Running a few balls and then crapping something in. It got to happening so often that it was embarrassing. Two or three rails, into the side. It was goofy...suffice to say, I won pretty handily. I don't even recall the spread, I didn't want to go looking at the scoresheet. The other team was good about it, we were all laughing at it.

Then it kept going on the next match, my teammate did his first one and said he "Bruce'd that one", meaning me. But after he kept crapping them in as well, it wasn't just me... :p

Crazy night. Next time it'll happen to me, instead of me being that guy...

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we had our World Pool Qualifier this weekend for APA. My team played great. I even run 3 racks in a row Friday Night playing a 5. It was hard giving up that many balls. He got out to a 25-5 lead. So I had to run some balls to catch back up, plus cover the handicap. My win let us advance only playing 3 matches.

We played great again Saturday morning. I was really proud of my crew. Saturday night did not fair so well. We lost in 4. It was brutal. The team we played just couldn't miss. There was a 2 that broke and run. Oh well. Try again next year.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we had our World Pool Qualifier this weekend for APA. My team played great. I even run 3 racks in a row Friday Night playing a 5. It was hard giving up that many balls. He got out to a 25-5 lead. So I had to run some balls to catch back up, plus cover the handicap. My win let us advance only playing 3 matches.

We played great again Saturday morning. I was really proud of my crew. Saturday night did not fair so well. We lost in 4. It was brutal. The team we played just couldn't miss. There was a 2 that broke and run. Oh well. Try again next year.

Nice shooting coop. Our 8 ball starts this Friday. Then 9 ball next week. Same team in both. Hope we do good.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Nice shooting coop. Our 8 ball starts this Friday. Then 9 ball next week. Same team in both. Hope we do good.

Our States tourneys are coming up, not this weekend but the one after. We also qualified in both 8 and 9, hoping to have a good result in at least one of them... Good luck everyone!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our States tourneys are coming up, not this weekend but the one after. We also qualified in both 8 and 9, hoping to have a good result in at least one of them... Good luck everyone!

Good luck to you also dub. Kinda worried about this weekend. Had my 2-4's both raised to 5's over the last 2 weeks. I know that means they at shooting good but in my opinion they would be classified as weak 5's compared to established 5's such as myself. I guess we need to continue to rely on what got us to this point. Good shooting and smart coaching.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope you do too pal. :) Best of luck to you and your team.

Thanks. Guess I will post how I did Sunday. Played 8 ball against a very good 5 and lost hill-hill. Not making any excuse but I was upset about 4 players not showing and never gave me notice and it did affect my game.

I played the same guy 9 ball and it was turning into quite a battle. When we were tied at 16-16 I decided I needed to step it up and get my head in the game.

Now what I am about to say probably seems unorthodox but it works for me. I swapped cues and started playing with a predator that I had given to my then girlfriend who still plays for me. I am strictly a maple shaft guy but I played with that predator good enough to pull ahead and win 38-26.

Swapping cues seems to trigger something in my head and forces me to start focusing better. Have thought about trying to get that cue back from her and getting a revo shaft ...when finances allow . Just to see what the hullabaloo is all about. I love the looks of that cue..first generation blak 4 but never realm cared about the 314 shaft ...or any ld shaft for that matter.

But like I said .....would try the above combo just for the heck of it. I love playing with different cues all the time. Maybe that's why i am not consistent lol.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But like I said .....would try the above combo just for the heck of it. I love playing with different cues all the time. Maybe that's why i am not consistent lol.

I do the same thing.. I have found a cue I really like though and now I keep switching shafts and tips. I am playing great. But I think I would do better if I would stop waffling on which ones I like better.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swapped cues and started playing with a predator that I had given to my then girlfriend who still plays for me.

As you may remember, we are between session in our leagues, so I haven't been playing much, and when I have it has been rotation games (poker pool and 10-ball) with 4 or 5 others, so I haven't been able to get into any kind of rhythm.

Yesterday my wife was gone, so I decided to put in some practice time on our home table. I was TERRIBLE still. I couldn't get consistent leaves, I was missing easy angles. I really think that I had been shooting pretty well, so I started to over think everything and be "perfect" instead of just shooting my game.

I finally changed up my stance and went with a more traditional stance instead of how I usually have my feet spread wide. Next thing I know, I'm pocketing balls like crazy. Nothing I couldn't do before, but everything I haven't been able to do for several weeks.

I don't think the stance really made any difference at all, I think that it was strictly because I changed what I was thinking about. Since I was focusing on my stance, I wasn't over thinking all of the crap that I typically do with instinct. Man I hope it keeps going like this, cause I was getting seriously frustrated with how bad I was shooting.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do the same thing.. I have found a cue I really like though and now I keep switching shafts and tips. I am playing great. But I think I would do better if I would stop waffling on which ones I like better.

I know aha you mean. I swapped to the McDermott with the g core shaft about 2 months ago and as playing good with it until Sunday night.

Not sure what cue I will take for cities. Its a toss up between them he meucci or the Adams / helmstetter....or maybe a players or just might shoot with the predator I swapped to Sunday night.

Heck I may take them all...just in case lol.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in our 8 ball world qualifier this weekend and had an uncharacteristic bad tournament. I played below my level for some reason. All mental and not having al my best players probably had something to do with it.

We lost in 4 matches Friday night...was not even close

Last night we did a lot better and darn near pulled off an upset in my opinion.

We lost 7-7 with them winning 3 of the 5 matches. It came down to the last rack ....hill-hill with one of my 3's playing a darn good 5. I coached my 3 pretty good in my opinion .....just wish he coulda been allowed one more time out lol.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not in a league yet, so that can't be me..

Nope, not you, in MA and not in a league. He is 78. He asked me if there were tournaments for 78 year olds around LOL, he does fine in ours with a bunch of B players. He really only loses consistently to the players that usually cash, and can beat them at times.

Our local USAPL Vegas trip team tournament is coming up next week, 9 ball and then 8 ball. I think we have a chance for a trip in both days which is nice, so if we loose one day, have another chance next day.

We had another playoff round today (Sunday 3rd) and almost won, we won both 9 ball matches then had two weaker players (about D players both about 250 Fargo) lose in 8 ball and we lost by points at the end. Funny thing is that our team already qualified for the Vegas tournament so not sure what the point of us playing this week was in the first place.

I keep moving up and down in ratings even though I keep winning LOL. Because it's Fargo they also count tournaments, but last Fargo rated event I won 4 matches to two loses so not sure why that would have brought me down. Can't seem to get out of the 550s range, but I feel like I am improving and close to a breakthrough where I can finally stop missing easy shots I am in position for.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So it looks like I might just get a chance to meet up with some y'all..... My 8-ball team just qualified for Vegas! Pretty damned pysched!

We try for 9-ball tomorrow....heh....

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing usapl qualifier tonight. I won my first 2 8 ball matches. Ran into a buzz saw my third match . It was a 50-45 race . Me going to 45. He won 56-10. dont understand an apa 7/9 only spotting me...an apa 5/5 only 5 points but it is what it is I guess. We are in the finals of the losers bracket rich now. We win we go to the finals. Not looking good going into the 4th match .

Still have usapl 9 ball to do this weekend. Also have apa 9 ball cities next week.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it looks like I might just get a chance to meet up with some y'all..... My 8-ball team just qualified for Vegas! Pretty damned pysched!

We try for 9-ball tomorrow....heh....

Forgot to say congrats and good luck in Vegas dub. Just bummed rich now because we are going to have to forfeit out of usapl 9 ball qualifier. There will only be me and one other that would show tomorrow. Dang shame because we had a dang good team this session. No one on this team seems to be interested in making an effort to go to vegas

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Forgot to say congrats and good luck in Vegas dub. Just bummed rich now because we are going to have to forfeit out of usapl 9 ball qualifier. There will only be me and one other that would show tomorrow. Dang shame because we had a dang good team this session. No one on this team seems to be interested in making an effort to go to vegas

Thanks! Was hoping you would be there too.
I read your other USApl thread...craziness....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won USAPL 9 ball Vegas trip

After about 5-6 seasons on a USAPL team, finally won a championship round with a team for 9 ball, whee....!

The team got to the finals in both 8 ball (I think with 7 teams) and in 9 ball (with about 11 teams). We won the 9 ball event, even though I played some of my worst pool possible at my level in my match LOL. The team-mates pulled it out though with winning the other 4 matches even though my points loss was very high which would have meant we could have lost even winning all those other sets.

My son played the last set and he had to get to 35 points or we would loose. He got that in the fifth rack of the set after winning two of first the games, then having two breaks where he sunk 3 balls each time, along with making some other balls in the other games he did not win. He then won another game for another 14 to fully seal our win.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After about 5-6 seasons on a USAPL team, finally won a championship round with a team for 9 ball, whee....!

The team got to the finals in both 8 ball (I think with 7 teams) and in 9 ball (with about 11 teams). We won the 9 ball event, even though I played some of my worst pool possible at my level in my match LOL. The team-mates pulled it out though with winning the other 4 matches even though my points loss was very high which would have meant we could have lost even winning all those other sets.

My son played the last set and he had to get to 35 points or we would loose. He got that in the fifth rack of the set after winning two of first the games, then having two breaks where he sunk 3 balls each time, along with making some other balls in the other games he did not win. He then won another game for another 14 to fully seal our win.

Congrats hang . :grin-square:

We are in our usapl 9 ball finals tonight. Let you know how we do.