What are some of your most memorable moments in billiards?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making hundreds of friends all over the country through playing pool.
I have met and talked to hundreds of pros, but I also have many friends who can't run 5 balls in a row.
I won a weekly tournament about 25 years ago when I was probably the weakest player in the field, one of them gave me the 5 ball gambling several others were the 7 better .
I went undefeated.
So that was like hitting the lottery.
I met and hung around with George Rood for about 12 years, he taught me a tremendous amount about 1 pocket and even more about life.
I sat and talked with Buddy Hall and WW Woody when they first came out with Rags to Rifleman for a couple of hours, I had all my old pictures of players with me and they got a kick out of seeing everyone.
Grady used to come to the place I played and we always had a laugh riot however long he was there.
I have been to many tournaments and seen some amazing pool in 50 plus years.
I always wanted to play great, but in retrospect I am happy with my place in the pool world, being a great player costs more than I ever wanted to pay.
I also still enjoy playing just to have fun against a great player or a bad one.
I have been privileged to play some really great players, I hope they have fond memories like I do.
There are a thousand other things and people but they will have to go in the book.

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
Third, the match between Efren Reyes and Jason Miller at the DCC finals. It was One Pocket, and Jason Miller that year was "killing" the field and was playing unbelievable. That was before he played Efren. Efren beat him 3-0 in less than 45 minutes, in the most amazing display of one pocket and cue ball control. Easily the best pool match I have ever seen before or since. I immediately became an Efren fan.

Great stories.

I just watched the Accu-Stats DVD of that match, it ran only *28 minutes*. The Semi-finals went 45 minutes, when Efren beat Alex Pagulayan, 3-1.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
many, but one that sticks out was watching the World 9 ball finals a few years back, Peach vs Gomez, plus some of the other matches, all streamed live

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stories.

I just watched the Accu-Stats DVD of that match, it ran only *28 minutes*. The Semi-finals went 45 minutes, when Efren beat Alex Pagulayan, 3-1.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the correction. I thought if wasn't accurate I wanted to error on the long side because it was truly unbelievable.

I don't have the Accu-Stats of it, but probably should get it.

Thanks again and best of rolls,

Ken

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big moment

Winning around $300 playing rotation against some guy from the midwest
At times sq Billiards lounge early 70s --- it was the best I ever played
You remember those nights everything was clicking..
McP.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many good memories over the years.

My first nine ball tournament - playing a kick to throw a nine ball combo in for 1st place against a much better player.

Back to back break and run 5 packs on two consecutive matches and two different tables in a bar table 8 ball tourney. I won and bought 1/2 of myself in the Calcutta for $5.00

Big table 9 ball tourney played 2 ball in from middle of table and a 3 cushion billiard with CB to make 9 ball for the match win.

Lost to a young gun who kept trash talking me and took me out of my game. Came back to meet him in the final and needed to win 2 sets. Won 5-0, 5-1 leaving him 2 hooks and one 9 ball that rattled. Sweet!

None of the above tops playing ( partners) quarter game, short rack snooker with Boyd, Eddie, Jim, David, Harold (Worst Jr.), Tom, George Ellis and the rest of the gang. RIP to those gone before me. See you down the road.

TD

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I have had a couple shots that were very memorable. One shot was while playing 9 ball. I banked the 8 ball off a side cushion into the 9 and got it in. That was probably one of the hardest shots I have had to make. I have also made a amazing masse shot while playing 8 ball. The 8 ball was inside the jaws of a corner pocket and the cue ball was center diamond against the rail with a object ball in the way of the 8 ball and less than a inch away from the CB. I massed the shot around the object ball and hit the 8 in without scratching. I only had about a foot of space between the 8 ball and the cue ball. It was like curving the cue ball a half circle. I have tried setting that exact same shot up a couple of different times to see if I could do it again and I haven't been able to do it yet. I also did the masse with my playing cue.