Larry Nevel

gpeezy

for sale!
Man that dude is a monster in those regional tournaments. I'm curious what people are paying to get him in the calcutta. He's made a good living this year playing those.

wade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
about 2 or 3 month's ago i bought him in 3 different tour. and he usually goes in the $500 and up range.

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gpeezy said:
Man that dude is a monster in those regional tournaments. I'm curious what people are paying to get him in the calcutta. He's made a good living this year playing those.

He bought himself for $800 in Maryland earlier this year. It was kinda funny to watch him get upset when people kept outbidding him. He goes in the first open bid 98% of the time and usually for no less than $500.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
I apologize for the side-track, but it seems the question has been adressed.

Can someone succinctly explain a calcutta to me? I don't have the slightest clue of what it is.

Thanks!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nims said:
I apologize for the side-track, but it seems the question has been adressed.

Can someone succinctly explain a calcutta to me? I don't have the slightest clue of what it is.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, well we don't have the slightest idea of succinctly! ;)

During a tourney, one can put money into a pool by 'buying' a player. You 'buy' by bidding. Is is often agreed that the winning bidder mus offer the opportunity for the player he 'bought' to repuchase 50% of self. The calcutta funds are pooled and paid out to winning bidders at the end of the event (at values similar to as tourney itself, order-wise- though usuallly not as far down the field.

The 'blind' bids are offered at the start and allow winning bidder to choose any player :D Players not bought are put in 'the field', and offered for bid at end.

Calcuttas are illegal in many States.

How be dat?

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
Oh yeah, well we don't have the slightest idea of succinctly! ;)

During a tourney, one can put money into a pool by 'buying' a player. You 'buy' by bidding. Is is often agreed that the winning bidder mus offer the opportunity for the player he 'bought' to repuchase 50% of self. The calcutta funds are pooled and paid out to winning bidders at the end of the event (at values similar to as tourney itself, order-wise- though usuallly not as far down the field.

The 'blind' bids are offered at the start and allow winning bidder to choose any player :D Players not bought are put in 'the field', and offered for bid at end.

Calcuttas are illegal in many States.

How be dat?

Great explanation. I think I'd have to see it in action to gather anymore. Are they legal in CA?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nims said:
Great explanation. I think I'd have to see it in action to gather anymore. Are they legal in CA?

I don't even know what CA is...

Joking- I don't know, though I expect the fruits and nuts who know will wake soon.

Edit- I see you are a fruit or nut. Umm, no offense intended? hahaha

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
I don't even know what CA is...

Joking- I don't know, though I expect the fruits and nuts who know will wake soon.

Edit- I see you are a fruit or nut. Umm, no offense intended? hahaha

I'm a fruit and/or nut by transfer only. Originally a Boston Baked Bean!

-James
San Diego,CA by way of Boston,MA

p.s. Whenever I see your avatar I think of Claudio Sanchez
4393d7220a98e-65-1.jpg

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Calcutta

is another word for "waste of money" :D

no seriously though most of the time you're taking a big chance... usually you try to either get a blind bid and go with the best player in the house. (Nevel usually)

OR you pick a guy who you know can play and get him for cheap. Then you hope he gets a good draw and plays "way over his head"

Most of the time the "cream rises to the top" so you hope to atleast finish in the top two or else its a bust.

I know personally... many times.. why do i keep doing this? :confused:

But yea around the South... Nevel has been killing it. I was his first victim 2weeks ago. :mad:

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I can tell you that he would not be my first pick tommorow at Randolphs in Hickory. He might win his fourth tournament in a row this weekend on the Viking tour stop (last three wins on Shannons tour) but a local player has made me money every time I bought him in the calcutta. And he will go for about a fourth or less than Larry, usually 80 dollars. No I ain't telling who because Mike Janis will try to buy him tommorow. LOL

Leonard

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
poolcuemaster said:
Well I can tell you that he would not be my first pick tommorow at Randolphs in Hickory. He might win his fourth tournament in a row this weekend on the Viking tour stop (last three wins on Shannons tour) but a local player has made me money every time I bought him in the calcutta. And he will go for about a fourth or less than Larry, usually 80 dollars. No I ain't telling who because Mike Janis will try to buy him tommorow. LOL

Leonard

Brian Capps or Adam Pendley are real safe bets at Randy's. Enjoy the event Leonard...I'm "on call" to take my wife to the delivery room so I'm going to miss it.:)

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NIMS:

Calcuttas are fun, and give you a chance to be more involved. We do them at Hardtimes in Sacramento at the Jamboree every June. Come on up, you will have a great time.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Just a quick note on calcuttas. It's usually not wise to piss off your horse by not offering him a chance to buy himself or half of himself. Remember, he has to play well for you to make money.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shssssssss Kevin

Varney Cues said:
Brian Capps or Adam Pendley are real safe bets at Randy's. Enjoy the event Leonard...I'm "on call" to take my wife to the delivery room so I'm going to miss it.:)

Don't think I would hesitate to buy either of these players if you know what I mean there KV, hope you get a Christmas or New Years babyboy.

Leonard