Walter Tevis, Netflix, and oh my …

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Granted, the new Netflix series — “The Queen’s Gambit” — is about chess, not pool.

But, based on a Tevis novel, ‘Gambit’ shows that there are parallels between the two sports. Sharking and barking. Strategy and stamina. Experience v. natural talent. Booze and other drugs. Mentors and rivals. Choking under pressure. Money to be made at the top. Prop bets like speed chess. Going on the lemon. The international nature of the game.

And, ‘Gambit’ is a good old-fashioned road story — transportation costs, hotels, meals. New venues, new competitors. Faithful and fickle fans.

As in Tevis’s “The Hustler”, the narrative revolves around character.

“The Queen’s Gambit” is a good yarn, spotty as every series is, but worth checking out. (Plus, haven’t several of you pointed out parallels between chess and one-pocket?)

Sunny

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Granted, the new Netflix series — “The Queen’s Gambit” — is about chess, not pool.

But, based on a Tevis novel, ‘Gambit’ shows that there are parallels between the two sports. Sharking and barking. Strategy and stamina. Experience v. natural talent. Booze and other drugs. Mentors and rivals. Choking under pressure. Money to be made at the top. Prop bets like speed chess. Going on the lemon. The international nature of the game.

And, ‘Gambit’ is a good old-fashioned road story — transportation costs, hotels, meals. New venues, new competitors. Faithful and fickle fans.

As in Tevis’s “The Hustler”, the narrative revolves around character.

“The Queen’s Gambit” is a good yarn, spotty as every series is, but worth checking out. (Plus, haven’t several of you pointed out parallels between chess and one-pocket?)

Sunny

yea!
nice post, I just read about this..
between that, and me missing "the office"
I might have to pony up for netflix (again) ^_^

tusmadpark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea!
nice post, I just read about this..
between that, and me missing "the office"
I might have to pony up for netflix (again) ^_^

It was good. The wife and I watched it all last weekend. One thing not mentioned was that it is set in Lexington, KY, being from Louisville that was cool and like the road scene in the Hustler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe It depends on what level you play at.
For everyday chess and pool players, they are very similar. But for elite players at both games, they are quite different.

My reasoning is that chess, for the vast majority of great players is mostly memorization.
Memorization of opening and defensive lines sometimes 30 moves deep , memorization of tactics, memorization of end game scenarios , usually when the game has been simplified by trades, to only a few pieces, or a known, forced pawn endgame structure.
In One pocket , you memorize the strokes , shots ,speed and some scenarios and positions and common safeties, but a large part of the game is figuring out the position you are left with , and what you have the best chance to succeed at, as an answer to the problem. A large portion of that, is because you are not confined to 64 squares every game, and your next move is not dependent on your opponents intermediate move, when you have made a ball in your pocket.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe It depends on what level you play at.
For everyday chess and pool players, they are very similar. But for elite players at both games, they are quite different.

My reasoning is that chess, for the vast majority of great players is mostly memorization.
Memorization of opening and defensive lines sometimes 30 moves deep , memorization of tactics, memorization of end game scenarios , usually when the game has been simplified by trades, to only a few pieces, or a known, forced pawn endgame structure.
In One pocket , you memorize the strokes , shots ,speed and some scenarios and positions and common safeties, but a large part of the game is figuring out the position you are left with , and what you have the best chance to succeed at, as an answer to the problem. A large portion of that, is because you are not confined to 64 squares every game, and your next move is not dependent on your opponents intermediate move, when you have made a ball in your pocket.

Well said. Let me put it this way. You will NEVER see the same game of One Pocket played twice! Each and every game is unique with an infinite variety of options to choose from inning after inning.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In chess, the battle is over control of the middle of the board.
Every conceivable opening has been duly considered with a reply.
Hence, the memorized gambits and strategies which is unlike pool.

The two have minimal commonality as pool has many game variations.
Chess is the same all the time but it does use a time limit in tournaments.
There’s a version called Rapid Transit Chess but the game is the same.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
But, based on a Tevis novel, ‘Gambit’ shows that there are parallels between the two sports. Sharking and barking...Booze and other drugs...Going on the lemon.

Sunny

Sounds like we've got trouble, right here in River City.

Kdogster

Registered
I'm planning to check out the first episode of Queen's Gambit this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

I'll share a chess hustler story from my days...

I was a member of a college chess club my freshmen year. Our president was a low grand master (maybe 2300 rating) and a grad student. He was always willing to play us mere mortals. I think he liked to remind us that we were still chumps, since a lot of chess people have huge egos. The president also brought his girlfriend to all the meetings. She was an absolute stunner and blonde to boot. She never participated in the club matches and didn't say much, either. She mainly just sat next to her boyfriend and waited patiently for the meeting to be over. Since we met Friday nights up in the Math building, I assumed she came along so they could head out afterwards to some party. Needless to say, I think she did more for club member retention than anyone could.

One of the meetings, this unknown guy pokes his head into the classroom where we met, and he starts laying into the president telling him that he is a poser and he can't back up his rating. He pulls a wad of cash out of his jeans pocket and says let's see if you got the guts to play somebody truly good for some real money. The president didn't seem too fazed by the brash challenge from this guy. He told him that it's against policy to bet for money in events sanctioned by the university. He whispered something to his girlfriend, and then he said, "Ok, I'll make you an offer. If you can beat my girlfriend, I'll consider playing you afterward and we can figure something out on the bet." The unknown guy was a little perturbed, but he agrees to it.

It turns out the president's girlfriend was more than a pretty face. She ends up beating the guy in a best of 3 match in speed chess. All of us club members were in total shock watching her frustrate this guy. She was probably an expert level chess player and we had absolutely no idea. The guy who got beat was nearly turning red with embarrassment. He gets up and starts heading for the door. The president says to him in a nice way, "please come back to a future meeting. You showed some nice game and I'd be glad to pay for your club membership." The guy gives him the finger and steams out of the room. That was one memorable night at chess club!