Shooting Right Handed With a Dominant LEFT EYE

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't agree at all with asking the recessive eye to take over to avoid an awkward stance. Maybe I misunderstand what was written but that's what it sounds like to me.

It is extremely difficult to switch to your recessive eye and it just doesn't make sense to me to put yourself through that just to avoid a difficult stance.

Some players have no choice but to train themselves to use their recessive eye due to a pathology in their dominant eye, such as near blindness. But to think that you can just switch off on demand is just playing with fire, in my opinion.

Hi Fran, thanks for your input.

It´s actually very easy, you do it all the time.
"Connect the dots".

What´s hard and difficult is a matter of opinion.

In the beginning of my pool playing I had a very hard time to make a stopshot, now it´s very easy. What happened in between Hard and Easy was that I took a step towards to make it possible - I trained. If you're not willing to take that step then you can´t close the distance.

Please ask yourself were you already "connect the dots" and how you do it.
Example would be you and I right now, we are connecting.
Another one that is close to this "dot" would be playing with your opposite side, for me that is left.

You can connect to every part of your body, very good for relaxing imo.

When you hit a wall, find away to pass it. Just allow it to happen, don´t use force that is negative (hard).

The things we are capable to do is the limit we put on it, the only limits that exists is that it´s limitless.

Regards

Chrippa

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

"Connect the dots".

In the beginning of my pool playing I had a very hard time to make a stopshot, now it´s very easy. What happened in between Hard and Easy was that I took a step towards to make it possible - I trained. If you're not willing to take that step then you can´t close the distance.

Another one that is close to this "dot" would be playing with your opposite side, for me that is left.

When you hit a wall, find away to pass it. Just allow it to happen, don´t use force that is negative (hard).

The things we are capable to do is the limit we put on it, the only limits that exists is that it´s limitless.

Regards

Chrippa
Agree 100 %

If you know how to use your Binocular Vision you can throw that dominant eye out the window and play pool.

Keep a soft eye and fire away.

Too many people making it difficult or to understand the game.
This leg here, this eye there, elbow here, eye little more right, other eye a little more right, right foot, left foot, this nut here, the breast here.

Call your mama before you shoot and get the OK you look like an opinion,
Call mama and make sure your elbow looks like the video tape you paid 1000 bucks for. You are watching video for 5 years and everyone around you has gone up 3 balls.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Connect the dots".

Regards

Chrippa

Thanks for your input, Chrippa.

Your post is very positive and very uplifting, and I'm with you all the way that we shouldn't allow others to enforce their limitations on us, but.....

Sorry. You can't just switch eyes from one shot to another and expect consistency. You can try, and with some close, easy shots, you may even get away with it, but I would never never never recommend that to anyone I'm trying to help with his game.

Plus, I don't think that switching eyes can alleviate an awkward stance situation.The problem with awkward stances usually isn't with getting the head over the cue. It's the other body parts, where the problems lie. Some players switch hands, some use a bridge, As for me, whenever possible, I manage to wedge a knee or foot somewhere on or against the table to keep me stable in an awkward stance. There are always ways to get creative. The great Cisero Murphy was known for one leg up on the table. It did the job very well for him.

Last edited:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input, Chrippa.

Your post is very positive and very uplifting, and I'm with you all the way that we shouldn't allow others to enforce their limitations on us, but.....

Sorry. You can't just switch eyes from one shot to another and expect consistency. You can try, and with some close, easy shots, you may even get away with it, but I would never never never recommend that to anyone I'm trying to help with his game.

Plus, I don't think that switching eyes can alleviate an awkward stance situation.The problem with awkward stances usually isn't with getting the head over the cue. It's the other body parts, where the problems lie. Some players switch hands, some use a bridge, As for me, whenever possible, I manage to wedge a knee or foot somewhere on or against the table to keep me stable in an awkward stance. There are always ways to get creative. The great Cisero Murphy was known for one leg up on the table. It did the job very well for him.

Thanks Fran,

So if I understand you correctly you connect yourself to the table and the layout using different parts of your body to produce the best possible connections to get the best result, would that be a correct summary of some of your words?

Is the eye a part of the body?
Did you have to train to achieve the best possibly stance?
Did it just come to you and you did it perfect the first time?
To get consistency what do you have to do?
Is it you that find it difficult to connect the eye?

The limit, the wall will stay within as long as you keep it in the dark. Shine on it and the bogeyman will vaporise.

Do you want to find a flaw or do you seek enlightenment in your search for being a better Fran than you was "yesterday".

The pupil will find the teacher when the pupil is ready, are you ready Fran?

I can´t teach you anything only you can.

Connect the dots is a very fun game that I surely love and Pool is a great game to learn to navigate on. Very often I find myself in the ditch but the more I train on it it´s easier to stay on the road. One thing I use for myself is smiling, everything opens up when you are happy and in joyful state and the "connections" comes more easy.
The "hardest" in the beginning was to accept and take responsibility for that it was I who put myself in the ditch. But to dig deeper isn´t any option for me anymore. I want to learn and for that I`m willing to fall, it´s nothing wrong it´s just a result.
To remember the basics of learning, take a look at kids and know that in fact you are a kid also. Take away a year from our age and we do not exist.

regards

Chrippa

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Fran,

So if I understand you correctly you connect yourself to the table and the layout using different parts of your body to produce the best possible connections to get the best result, would that be a correct summary of some of your words?

Is the eye a part of the body?
Did you have to train to achieve the best possibly stance?
Did it just come to you and you did it perfect the first time?
To get consistency what do you have to do?
Is it you that find it difficult to connect the eye?

The limit, the wall will stay within as long as you keep it in the dark. Shine on it and the bogeyman will vaporise.

Do you want to find a flaw or do you seek enlightenment in your search for being a better Fran than you was "yesterday".

The pupil will find the teacher when the pupil is ready, are you ready Fran?

I can´t teach you anything only you can.

Connect the dots is a very fun game that I surely love and Pool is a great game to learn to navigate on. Very often I find myself in the ditch but the more I train on it it´s easier to stay on the road. One thing I use for myself is smiling, everything opens up when you are happy and in joyful state and the "connections" comes more easy.
The "hardest" in the beginning was to accept and take responsibility for that it was I who put myself in the ditch. But to dig deeper isn´t any option for me anymore. I want to learn and for that I`m willing to fall, it´s nothing wrong it´s just a result.
To remember the basics of learning, take a look at kids and know that in fact you are a kid also. Take away a year from our age and we do not exist.

regards

Chrippa

We are all pupils in life, Chrippa.

One of the best ways to teach is through example.

How about listing some examples of shots that you shoot where you switch your sighting to your opposite eye?

I think that will help make things clearer.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are all pupils in life, Chrippa.

One of the best ways to teach is through example.

How about listing some examples of shots that you shoot where you switch your sighting to your opposite eye?

I think that will help make things clearer.

Hi Fran,

I can do it with every shot, some better some... just like the other eye. Just matter of training.

Same as, what shot can you make with your opposite side?

Chrippa

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, or if someone else care to listen...

I get what you mean, how about this to try it out, thin left cuts (if you are right dominant that is). You can also do it when shooting left (or opposite) on every shot. But like I said, every shot will work. But in the beginning it will for sure not work as great as shooting with your "normal" side. Then again, what is great? I for one is very happy to shoot some shots with a good outcome with my left because before I started to train it was very "hard" to do so. Hmmm what I´m trying to say is that we are always great if we compare to ourselves, the progress we do, - like a child. We don´t say to a 1 year old child how clumsy she is when falling do we?

It´s no biggie at all, both your eyes gets connected to things all the time so you can train your ability everywhere. You are already doing it, the different is only to "command" it and by knowing that you already command it and knowing that your already are doing it it will make it easier - that is if you allow it/take down the wall/ see the possibility etc.
Otherwise - well believe do have a great thing to do with everything.

When developing "other sides" of you will not make a mess with the "right side" it will only improve it imo.

Try it and maybe you will pick something new up.

Chrippa

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I just the other day learned from my lesson with Gene Albrecht's & his Perfect Aim (which is NOT an aiming system or method at all or anything like that) that I am of this group for pool.

I had always thought, no... 'known' that I was right eye dominant. Well...Gene showed me beyond dispute, that for pool, I am left eye dominant.

I agree with Fran regarding the stance & 'anchoring' to the table etc.

There was no real talk of stance in my lesson with Gene except while in the up position to allow my new dominant eye to be in the best position to correctly see the line of the shot properly.

After the lesson I shot for about 1 1/2 hours with no thought or change to my shooting stance, at least not consciously.

Our eyes are what? 1.5 to 2 inches apart, maybe 3" for some.

Our head is on a swivel that is at the top of our neck. I made no conscious adjustment to my shooting stance after Gene showed me how to utilize my newly found left dominant eye.

Sometimes we put up roadblocks & sometimes someone like Gene removes a roadblock that we did not even know was there.

Best Wishes, Merry Christmas, & Happy Holidays to Everyone,
Rick

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chrippa, You still haven't explained why you need to switch eyes, nor have you given specific examples of shots when you do switch eyes.

I'm just not getting where you're coming from on this, so you're going to have to add me to the non-believer list.

Good luck with your game, though, and happy experimenting. Experimenting is always good.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Chrippa, You still haven't explained why you need to switch eyes, nor have you given specific examples of shots when you do switch eyes.

I'm just not getting where you're coming from on this, so you're going to have to add me to the non-believer list.

Good luck with your game, though, and happy experimenting. Experimenting is always good.

Have you ever spoken with Gene Albrecht?

If not, I would respectfully suggest that you might wish to do so.

Gene has spent much time with the eyes & what works best for executing a pool shot.

All My Best Wishes & Merry Christmas,
Rick

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever spoken with Gene Albrecht?

If not, I would respectfully suggest that you might wish to do so.

Gene has spent much time with the eyes & what works best for executing a pool shot.

All My Best Wishes & Merry Christmas,
Rick

What I'm disputing here is the concept of switching eyes due to awkward stances at the table.

I'm right-handed and shoot with my right eye. If I switch to my left hand to execute a particular shot, I don't have to switch the cue placement to under my left eye as well. I'll shoot the shot with a cross-dominant eye with a slight stance adjustment. 10 Seconds later, I'm back to shooting right-handed. No mess, no fuss.

Chrippa is suggesting to train your non-shooting eye so you can switch back and forth between eyes at will.

There are so many potential problems with that, it would take too long to describe them, so I'll just say no. I don't recommend that.

End of story.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Fran, my reading skills dont interpret what others and I have wrote in the same way as you is my guess.
Please read it again and answer the questions written by me ( either here or for yourself) and maybe you will find a possibility to interpret/connect a bit differently.

If it's the "end of your story" I wish you all the best and if someone will continue I welcome there opinions.

Regards

Chrippa

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Head position becomes a result of footwork, hip movement and shoulder rotation.

I'm a big fan of looking at the shot as square as possible, even the 15 degrees could be improved upon (imho). Head position is a result of footwork, hip movement and shoulder rotation used to set up to the shot line......this is something that I constantly seek to improve, if I'm not improving I may be going backwards, slowly, but surely.

To have the squarest look possible there's one important component, and that's moving your upper body down to the shot by moving your hips back, away from the shot. When this movement doesn't happen it forces the player to tilt their head slightly (because the right hip doesn't completely get out of the way of the cue).

Footwork, and "clearing the hip" are tough to learn without guidance. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to give my input, although it helps to have video for demonstration.

hey CJ, one thing I do that probably is different, when im down on shot, my head is turned slightly to right (maybe 15 degrees) to get my left eye over cue, and it frees up some space between my cue, back hand, and body.

My nose is put to about 1:30 on a clock, with 12 o'clock being line of aim.

I don't know that I would recommend this to anyone, but maybe its something to experiment with. (for cross dominant players)

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally feel that head positioning over the cue is never exactly the same for any player. Some have it square and under their left eye, others have it square under their right eye. Me, I have it slightly to the left of my chin but my head isn't square to the shot. My left ear is closer to my bridge than my right ear if that makes sense. My left eye is also slightly lower on a horizontal plane that is, than my right eye, only by about 1cm or so bit it makes the world of difference.

Luckily most players will learn over time to get their head in the right place. Often the ones that don't are too fixated on their stance and the hips get in the way for getting the head just right, especially for a cross dominant player like my self. I remember a lesson I had as a kid. I always played with my head square to the shot and centre chin above the cue because that's what most seemed to do on tv...the instructor set up a straight in shot maybe 9ft apart and said put your head over the cue so it looks straight. I did and this is the currant head position I use now. I based my stance on the fact in cross dominant and ensured I could get the hips clear of my grip hand when cueing. As CJ has said, it all starts with the foot work. But the footwork should be dictated by your ideal head position and footwork should then be utilised to get your head in this ideal position every time.

Sbrogdon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old thread..

I have to say I agree with changing eyes while shooting. I am left eye dominant and right handed. I tried every way I could to find a comfortable stance with putting my left eye over the cue but could not do so. Now, what I do is line up the shot with my left eye, and while going down into the stance I allow my vision to shift to my right eye to the shot line. It lines me up perfectly and I am getting my consistency back after trying to many other ways with bad results.

Just saying...

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say I agree with changing eyes while shooting. I am left eye dominant and right handed. I tried every way I could to find a comfortable stance with putting my left eye over the cue but could not do so. Now, what I do is line up the shot with my left eye, and while going down into the stance I allow my vision to shift to my right eye to the shot line. It lines me up perfectly and I am getting my consistency back after trying to many other ways with bad results.

Just saying...

Yup. Works every time. :wink:
Good for you, enjoy your new approach.

PM sent.

Have fun :)

John

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Odd but I just rather recently was shown that I am left eyed for pool.

I played rather well right eyed but was starting to have issues with long straight in shots. That's what led to finding out that for pool I am left eyed.

What I now doing is see the line with my left eye & I look at the OB all the way until down on the shot & still looking at the OB. Then I give a glance to the CB to place the tip & go right back to the OB.

That's working really well for me

This past Thursday while playing one pocket, I must have gotten distracted by some part of the game & got down on a couple of shots that did not look or feel right. So, I closed my right eye & it showed that my alignment was off. Somehow, I was seeing it incorrectly with my right eye.

Good Luck to everyone figuring out what works for you.

Rick