Is there a better way to Christen a new table?

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a Brunswick Gold Crown IV last month, the Wife asks about the old one. Quick thinking like I am, I told her that the old one, like the other 3, was never quite right.

I went on to explain that I heard a rumor that a Wife is supposed to roll the first ball across the table to Christen the table, she says, like a ship? Yes honey, like a ship but we don’t want a bottle of bubbly to break on the table so that is why it’s done this way.

The set up in now in place. I proceed to remove the first year Gold Crown that I have enjoyed and begin to set the new one up, she’s all excited for that first roll, she knows she can roll a ball just right, once she does I can never get another table, this is it for the next 30+ years.

This table has a built in 22 point leveling system plus the four leg levelers. Within no time, the ball rolls across the bare slates with perfection, good thing she’s not there to see that. I proceed to put the felt and rails on and clean up. At dinner, she is all excited, she knows for sure she will win this one.

Upon viewing the table, she says it looks pretty, she wants a ball and she wants it now, biggest smile on her face.

I hand her a ball, she rolls it and boy did it roll funny, when it slowed down it literally rolled into a circle.

Yes, I won this battle, the tears almost rolled out of her eyes, she said I got a junk table.

I am sure many know the rest of the story.

Thanks for reading, good day.
picture.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I got a Brunswick Gold Crown IV last month, the Wife asks about the old one. Quick thinking like I am, I told her that the old one, like the other 3, was never quite right.

I went on to explain that I heard a rumor that a Wife is supposed to roll the first ball across the table to Christen the table, she says, like a ship? Yes honey, like a ship but we don’t want a bottle of bubbly to break on the table so that is why it’s done this way.

The set up in now in place. I proceed to remove the first year Gold Crown that I have enjoyed and begin to set the new one up, she’s all excited for that first roll, she knows she can roll a ball just right, once she does I can never get another table, this is it for the next 30+ years.

This table has a built in 22 point leveling system plus the four leg levelers. Within no time, the ball rolls across the bare slates with perfection, good thing she’s not there to see that. I proceed to put the felt and rails on and clean up. At dinner, she is all excited, she knows for sure she will win this one.

Upon viewing the table, she says it looks pretty, she wants a ball and she wants it now, biggest smile on her face.

I hand her a ball, she rolls it and boy did it roll funny, when it slowed down it literally rolled into a circle.

Yes, I won this battle, the tears almost rolled out of her eyes, she said I got a junk table.

Man, thats tough! Did you use Simonis or felt? I have seen some funky rolls on a level table with "felt" and also, was it near a seam when the funky roll occurred?

Trent

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You dirty rat , you gave her one of those trick cue balls........lol
You are a braver man than I Gunga Din, my wife would barbecue me for months for something like that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

What 22 point leveling system would that be?

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What 22 point leveling system would that be?

I was wondering if you had something to do with it. Sure is nice. Is this what you designed for Brunswick? The pockets are 4", tight for me but we are surprised how nicely the balls go in.

At least you didn't fall for the story like my wife did, I just read this to her a minute ago, she's on the way out the door to catch a flight to California and I knew she didn't want to be late, no time for her to fire up a BBQ but she is laughing now.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, thats tough! Did you use Simonis or felt? I have seen some funky rolls on a level table with "felt" and also, was it near a seam when the funky roll occurred?

Trent

Take your own balls next time before the next customer does this to you and you leave without collecting your money.

Good humor is always good, in fact, you should carry some lopsided balls just to scare your customers.