Hypothetical Pivot Point

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me with this: If a certain cue has a pivot point of 10 inches, the cue ball will deflect more by using a 6 inch pivot point... then less deflection with an 8 inch pivot point...and less with a 9 inch pivot point...and to zero deflection by using a 10 inch pivot point. Is this correct?

If this is correct then my question is: What happens with this same cue if you use a 12 inch pivot point??? Then a 14 inch pivot point??? Does deflection stay at zero or does it start to increase???

Thank you my friends...

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me with this: If a certain cue has a pivot point of 10 inches, the cue ball will deflect more by using a 6 inch pivot point... then less deflection with an 8 inch pivot point...and less with a 9 inch pivot point...and to zero deflection by using a 10 inch pivot point. Is this correct?

If this is correct then my question is: What happens with this same cue if you use a 12 inch pivot point??? Then a 14 inch pivot point??? Does deflection stay at zero or does it start to increase???

Thank you my friends...
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue.html#pivot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Help me with this: If a certain cue has a pivot point of 10 inches, the cue ball will deflect more by using a 6 inch pivot point... ...
Dr. Dave's site gives a complete picture but let me make a comment on just this part....

If a cue has a 10-inch pivot point and you use a 6-inch pivot, you will pivot the cue through a lot more angle to get to the same side-spin spot on the cue ball. Normally that will mean that you have over-compensated for squirt.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you my friends...

It is not an issue of deflection, deflection will be the same. What the effect does is that it helps compensate for the deflection. It is a pretty important difference.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave's site gives a complete picture but let me make a comment on just this part....

If a cue has a 10-inch pivot point and you use a 6-inch pivot, you will pivot the cue through a lot more angle to get to the same side-spin spot on the cue ball. Normally that will mean that you have over-compensated for squirt.
For those who want more info or demonstrations, see:

backhand english (BHE) and front-hand english (FHE)

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thank you my friends...
FYI, the answer to this question is demonstrated at the 3:02 point in the following video:

NV J.9 - "Got English?" – How to Aim Using Sidespin, With Game-Situation Examples

Enjoy,
Dave