Mickey Holiday

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pt and Jay thanks for the Foreaker stories. Baby Face was married at one time to a lady that used to play on the Arizona Women's Billiard tour Madelyn Roberts. She said she was a lot younger than him. She played pretty decent and a great musician.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I came off a long break from pool in 1977...drove to Joe Farhat’s place just to be a spectator.
It fired me up to start working on my game again. Lot of champions there...Sigel won a match
11-0...made six 9-balls on the break. Saw the Bushwhacker beat Mataya..getting the 8.
Mike Carella won the tournament...he beat a kid named Dave Charette in the finals.
....anybody heard of Dave Charette since?...lost track of him...he beat a lot of good players
in that tournament.

I didn’t realize how much I missed the action scene till I walked into the Velvet Rail..
..somebody was trying to get down on a two-move checkmate..made me smile.

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe Frady ?

Saw Joe Frady's name. I remember when you saw Joe's name a lot in tournament results. Wonder what happened to Joe, or if he still plays

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Joe Frady's name. I remember when you saw Joe's name a lot in tournament results. Wonder what happened to Joe, or if he still plays

I knew and played Joe Frady for many years.
I learned a lot of pool from him.
An absolute monster of a player when he was on.
Sadly he passed away a couple years ago Dementia and Alzheimer's got him.
He was about 71 way too young.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came off a long break from pool in 1977...drove to Joe Farhat’s place just to be a spectator.
It fired me up to start working on my game again. Lot of champions there...Sigel won a match
11-0...made six 9-balls on the break. Saw the Bushwhacker beat Mataya..getting the 8.
Mike Carella won the tournament...he beat a kid named Dave Charette in the finals.
....anybody heard of Dave Charette since?...lost track of him...he beat a lot of good players
in that tournament.

I sweated that tourney as well. Always enjoyed watching Mike Carella play with his "hunched over" style. Man, he could hit 'em hard and straight.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for posting this. I thought it was a great letter worth sharing on here. There were guys like Mickey in every corner of the country back then, good "shortstops" who were capable of giving anyone a tough time on the table. These were guys I played and learned from.

You're welcome, I love reading this type of stuff. :thumbup:

Anyone in the Detroit area hear of Gary McKenzie? He seems to know some people but I don't think he was as good as some of these guys, but you can tell he could play some pool back in the day, he's 74 now.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is what I always heard, just burned out playing. I knew him [Mark Beilfuss] enough to exchange greetings and watched him play many times at the Velvet Rail. At sixteen years old, his skill level at 14.1 was nothing short of amazing. Rained 100 ball runs making it look easy as if anyone could do it. Wow, what a player.
Plenty more info on Mark Beilfuss here:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=189422

Arnaldo