Slate Question

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jviss: good job, we have to stick together to stop the attacks. some mechanics are using this forum to hit people up for money. that's clearly not what "ask a mechanic" section was intended to do. then i politely responded and was attacked by, trent. weird.... the moderator should take some action here. this has been going on long before i started posting and it's driving away potential posters.

I wasn't addressing my post to anyone in particular, I was just reminding everyone of what I see as the proper rules of conduct here. Note, I'm not a moderator or anything, just an interested citizen.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
jviss: good job, we have to stick together to stop the attacks. some mechanics are using this forum to hit people up for money. that's clearly not what "ask a mechanic" section was intended to do. then i politely responded and was attacked by, trent. weird.... the moderator should take some action here. this has been going on long before i started posting and it's driving away potential posters.

Tell you what there buddy, just for you, I recommend ALL mechanics stop helping people like you for FREE!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

You seem to think you're ENTITLED to all the free information you want, and now you want to band together with others to do what.....force your free information:rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
some mechanics are using this forum to hit people up for money. that's clearly not what "ask a mechanic" section was intended to do..
Just for the record, I've been a member here since 2006, and have NEVER charged for information, and as a matter of fact....I am the ONLY person whose stood up and said enough is enough, your FREE information DOES have a limit of questions!!! All of us who make a living working on pool tables have better things to do OTHER than helping people like you who just keep on asking for free over and over and over again. At some point in time, people like you NEED to realize, we who post free information here....do NOT work for you, but when you get the attitude like you have, and start getting upset because your ATTENTION needs are not being satisfied, then I get to feeling like, OK....if you want anymore information with your 500 free questions, then I'll treat you like a customer and start CHARGING you for my help, as I do any other customer!!!!

I guarantee you, you've just shit in your own mess kit buddy, your free advice is over, you've successfully ABUSED IT!!!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Not one person is gonna say "Where has slatemate been? We really loved his posts...."

No one has cussed or threatened you. You just don't wanna hear the truth.
You are not going to change my mind or anyone else's.
You are not a mechanic, you post all the time about every single "issue" you have concerning a pool table, that means you should be PAYING someone to handle your pool table needs.

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent, OP does not have a table. He wants to build a "practice run" of long, narrow slate with a pocket at one end, to practice his stroke. Apparently since a full size table won't fit in his dwelling. Only reason i felt "competent" to reply. :wink: I've worked with all the materials, and spent my life trying to build assemblies that stay flat and straight.

My guess is he does not need the slate liners for cloth attachment, but wants to figure out how to support such a "contraption". IMO, it can be done if he has the means to level it.

I'll butt out, now.
Unless OP is in upstate NY ans wants to buy my 9' long x 18" wide CI assembly table, which is near surface plate flat if leveled? (May have a full length T-slot to fill, can't remember, it's in storage....)

smt

You are all good man! Not that I am a "mod" either, but, I try to be a good contributor to the forum. You always post very detailed information.

Trent from Toledo

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Gentlemen, no one is forcing anyone else to answer their questions. If you feel that you can help someone out with your experience and inclined to spend some time answered them, then please do so. If not, then just let the post be. No one is forcing anyone else to answer (or continue answering) people's questions.

Glen, no one is questioning your expertise here, but when you feel that you are being taken advantage of, then just stop answering. You don't need to be combative.

SlateMate

Banned
Gentlemen, no one is forcing anyone else to answer their questions. If you feel that you can help someone out with your experience and inclined to spend some time answered them, then please do so. If not, then just let the post be. No one is forcing anyone else to answer (or continue answering) people's questions.

Glen, no one is questioning your expertise here, but when you feel that you are being taken advantage of, then just stop answering. You don't need to be combative.

what does it take to get one of these guys banned? Trent is still after it and Cobra is trying to hit people up for cash for advice..... wonder NOT why there are so many lurkers but few posters here.

oh wait.... what's this? Trent just gave you guys some money. what a joke....

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
what does it take to get one of these guys banned? Trent is still after it and Cobra is trying to hit people up for cash for advice..... wonder NOT why there are so many lurkers but few posters here.

You offer nothing and ask for everything. Anything you have "tried" to offer has been BAD information.

You have no reason to be here.

Trent

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

You implying that a user gets special treatment because they are a gold member is a good way to get started down that road to being banned.

How about you let us moderate the forums and decide if and when someone needs to be warned or banned.

And because you think someone should be banned instead of warned is not a good reason to keep reporting older messages again and again.

Mike (the guy who decides on users being banned)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
hey Trenty: i just saw your pic on facebook. a bit of advice, don't try insulting people in person...

Here we go Mike.

Me with one of my Anniversary's :
11187771_345563205653714_7423366519503249991_o.jpg

Last edited:

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Me with one of my Anniversary's :

Nice table. Is that a 8 footer? Buyer of my last home bought mine with the deal. Will be moving again soon (hopefully)......1st grandchild on the way and looking to move closer. Just sold my Diamond last week prepping for this planned move. Will be looking for a new table once settled again......I'm thinking another Anniversary or maybe a Centennial. I think my son talked with you recently about tables.....his new man cave will be ready soon.

Here's a pic of the one I had.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_657.jpg

Anyway, do you have any scrap slate? If so, maybe I could hire you to make what I'm looking for.....see my last thread referenced in post #5 of this thread. It would require sawing. Not sure if you do stuff like that. Thanks.

DTL

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Nice table. Is that a 8 footer? Buyer of my last home bought mine with the deal. Will be moving again soon (hopefully)......1st grandchild on the way and looking to move closer. Just sold my Diamond last week prepping for this planned move. Will be looking for a new table once settled again......I'm thinking another Anniversary or maybe a Centennial. I think my son talked with you recently about tables.....his new man cave will be ready soon.

Here's a pic of the one I had.

View attachment 512545

Anyway, do you have any scrap slate? If so, maybe I could hire you to make what I'm looking for.....see my last thread referenced in post #5 of this thread. It would require sawing. Not sure if you do stuff like that. Thanks.

DTL

OS 8' , a client of mine in Detroit, he actually moved to Miami with that pretty table!

I have a 5-6 sets of 8 ft slate, brand new. I am sure something could be arranged. Call me tomorrow (419)491-7476

Trent from Toledo

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
sawing strips of slate

Take some old scrap 3-piece slate as illustrated and saw as diagrammed. End pieces sawed at slight angle (not straight through the gate as from the foot or head spot) for a more realistic shot into a corner. OR, make the shooting surface out of granite as discussed above.

Make a simple but sturdy wooden bench the same height as the bed of a pool table and embed the slate into the table. Have a mechanic put simonis on and make a pocket for each end with about 1 foot of rail on each side.....one end for right handed players and the other end for lefties.

I need this to be done for use with another totally separate project - a stroke training machine or device. This contraption is gonna be somewhat bulky and will sit beside and behind the shooter.....not practical for use with a real pool table. Every shot will be a straight-in shot down the narrow runway (4.5") of playing surface. Stroke trainer will have guides for the stick and elbow/forearm unit.....lasers, too.

I know, I'm a f'ing nut. Oh well, I'm retired and bored. Need something to occupy all my free time.

DTL

slate.jpeg

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Take some old scrap 3-piece slate as illustrated and saw as diagrammed. End pieces sawed at slight angle (not straight through the gate as from the foot or head spot) for a more realistic shot into a corner. OR, make the shooting surface out of granite as discussed above.

Make a simple but sturdy wooden bench the same height as the bed of a pool table and embed the slate into the table. Have a mechanic put simonis one and make a pocket for each end with about 1 foot of rail on each side.....one end for right handed players and the other end for lefties.

I need this to be done for use with another totally separate project - a stroke training machine or device. This contraption is gonna be somewhat bulky and will sit beside and behind the shooter.....not practical for use with a real pool table. Every shot will be a straight-in shot down the narrow runway (4.5") of playing surface. Stroke trainer will have guides for the stick and elbow/forearm unit.....lasers, too.

I know, I'm a f'ing nut. Oh well, I'm retired and bored. Need something to occupy all my free time.

DTL

View attachment 512641

It is not that its "nuts", its rather how much do you want to spend! :)

Trent from Toledo

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This contraption is gonna be somewhat

Hee, hee - that was originally said in a heartfelt loving way; just so you don't take it wrong. :D In order to relate why i, a non table tech, felt competent in some areas to reply. I often build contraptions.

It does look like a fun project, as Trent said, if you want to afford it.

Why cutting the slate on a diagonal?
Also, if for training, any reason not to go across the slate and make it longer?

And just to be clear, no interest in getting into or between any parties deal here. I just like thinking about this type of stuff, especially when i am booked up and supposed to actually be doing other work....:sorry:

smt