Cyclop Balls and Cloth Wear

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Diamond pushes their Cyclop balls.

I think that they still use Simonis cloth on their tables.

Simonis claims that their Aramith Tournament (Duramith) reduces table wear.

I read that the Cyclop balls don't hold as much chalk as other balls because they are less porous.

Do they also result in less cloth wear since they are smoother?

🎱

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't care. They're plug ugly. (TV edition) :poke: :wave2:

I would think, theoretically yes, but given all the variables of the game, most likely nothing imperically measureable. Might be true, but I vote for marketing hype...

Last edited:

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't have to get the "ugly" Cyclops balls - they also make a home edition using regular colors. The Cyclops balls have a phenolic content equal or greater than Aramith Tournament Balls(Duramith). I have both sets and prefer to use the Cyclops on my table because they stay extremely clean - more so than the Tournament balls. I have the new Cyclop cue ball - one large red dot. The cue ball retains very little chalk. I think because they stay so clean, my Simonis cloth stays cleaner - and I assume there is less wear and tear on the cloth.

TheBook

Silver Member
Don't have to get the "ugly" Cyclops balls - they also make a home edition using regular colors. The Cyclops balls have a phenolic content equal or greater than Aramith Tournament Balls(Duramith). I have both sets and prefer to use the Cyclops on my table because they stay extremely clean - more so than the Tournament balls. I have the new Cyclop cue ball - one large red dot. The cue ball retains very little chalk. I think because they stay so clean, my Simonis cloth stays cleaner - and I assume there is less wear and tear on the cloth.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a set of the Duramith and seen a great price on line for the Cyclop balls. They are from a retailer and the picture shows the CB with the eye.

🎱

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't care. They're plug ugly. (TV edition) :poke: :wave2:

I would think, theoretically yes, but given all the variables of the game, most likely nothing imperically measureable. Might be true, but I vote for marketing hype...

Every TV edition from every maker is flat out ugly.

With that being said, my cloth (Simonis Tournament Blue) has held up extremely well using the Cyclop set of balls for over a year now. In fact, I was hoping it would wear out sooner so I could switch it back to green.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
The cue ball retains very little chalk. I think because they stay so clean, my Simonis cloth stays cleaner - and I assume there is less wear and tear on the cloth.

Where do you think all that chalk goes? If it is not on the cue ball, the only other place is the cloth. It could well be that that is better for the life of the cloth, (especially if you clean your cloth often) but they can't both be cleaner.

Thank you kindly.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis claims that their Aramith Tournament (Duramith) reduces table wear.

Remember Simonis and Aramith are the same company now

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Cyclop balls are tacky to the touch and play as expected IMO. Too sticky. I prefer any other brand of ball with an Aramith red circle cue ball. Pure winnage.

Lesh

TheBook

Silver Member
Cyclop balls are tacky to the touch and play as expected IMO. Too sticky. I prefer any other brand of ball with an Aramith red circle cue ball. Pure winnage.

Lesh

I have a Rempe Training Ball and it is sticky to make the chalk stick to it showing where you hit the ball. Wonder why the chalk doesn't stick to the Cyclop if they are sticky?

🎱

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I have a Rempe Training Ball and it is sticky to make the chalk stick to it showing where you hit the ball. Wonder why the chalk doesn't stick to the Cyclop if they are sticky?

🎱

No clue, but it tosses the object balls and grabs the table in a pronounced manner. I could get used to it..... but I suppose I could get used to playing with a Meucci too, but why would I? I like new things, new innovations. I even adopt them and make them part of my life, but the Cyclop balls are superfluous and can be easily avoided. i DO however, like to play cyclop object balls with a normal cue ball. No complaints there.

Lesh

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you think all that chalk goes? If it is not on the cue ball, the only other place is the cloth. It could well be that that is better for the life of the cloth, (especially if you clean your cloth often) but they can't both be cleaner.

Thank you kindly.

It could just stay on the tip with the rest of the chalk.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply.

I have a set of the Duramith and seen a great price on line for the Cyclop balls. They are from a retailer and the picture shows the CB with the eye.

��

Where did you find them for a great price on-line?

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting

No clue, but it tosses the object balls and grabs the table in a pronounced manner. I could get used to it..... but I suppose I could get used to playing with a Meucci too, but why would I? I like new things, new innovations. I even adopt them and make them part of my life, but the Cyclop balls are superfluous and can be easily avoided. i DO however, like to play cyclop object balls with a normal cue ball. No complaints there.

Lesh

When I bought my sets (I have a regular and TV set), I also owned a set of Centennials along with a set of Aramith Pros. I found the Cyclop to be the best of all 3 sets as far as rolling the truest, holding less chalk and staying cleaner longer and they are the only set that did not suffer from brown pocket marks off my Diamond table.

I clean the table, balls, and pockets on at least a monthly basis. I wonder why your experience is so much different than mine or people I know that play with them on a regular basis?

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
It could just stay on the tip with the rest of the chalk.

Seems unlikely. If one looks at slow motion videos, one will see a lot of chalk coming off the tip at impact. In order for a cleaner ball to result from chalk not leaving the tip, the cohesion of the chalk to itself would need to be stronger than the force from friction AND from deceleration of the cue at impact, which seems dubious. An easy test would be if people don't need to chalk up nearly as often.
[chalk which remain on the tip also are the ones that stick to the ball more. (i.e. more chalk is being applied)]

Thank you kindly.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Ntwa

NWTA = Not Worth Talking About

Were I don't like the Cyclop (I have not tried new cueball). Talking about cloth wear between ball types is marketing or almost unmeasurable.

TheBook

Silver Member
Where did you find them for a great price on-line?

The price for the TV set of Cyclop Balls is $160 from Sears, free shipping. I don't see any option for the traditional set.

Here is the link

http://www.sears.com/diamond-billia...id=ITx160401SRSRETCRTTriggeredSRSCriteoBrowse

Here is a direct link to the actual store that they are comming from. There is the also the option of the traditional color set for the same price. The site is Gameroom Guys. The balls are new, not used

http://www.gameroomguys.com/Parts-Accessories/New-Pool-Balls/?range=25,42,42

🎱

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
At the DCC, standard design Cyclops were used on almost all the tables....
..Alex said he missed a couple spin shots early because the spin threw the object ball more....usually, it's the opposite with new balls.
So, in a bank match, I had the cue ball and the object ball froze on the same long rail..about a diamond apart...I banked it two rails back down the same long rail like it was a hanger.....so the balls make that one feel a lot easier.

I was satisfied with them...although in the straight pool section, they found a 3-ball that was rolling off....a little better quality control would be nice.

I agree about the sets with unusual colors....they drive me nuts.
I feel experienced pool players associate colors with numbers...
...what's wrong with keeping them traditional...it's not like the colors are an improvement....they are just different.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not seen the Cyclops TV set for less than $195 anywhere else - better make sure they are new rather than tournament used.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the DCC, standard design Cyclops were used on almost all the tables....
..Alex said he missed a couple spin shots early because the spin threw the object ball more....usually, it's the opposite with new balls.
So, in a bank match, I had the cue ball and the object ball froze on the same long rail..about a diamond apart...I banked it two rails back down the same long rail like it was a hanger.....so the balls make that one feel a lot easier.

I was satisfied with them...although in the straight pool section, they found a 3-ball that was rolling off....a little better quality control would be nice.

I agree about the sets with unusual colors....they drive me nuts.
I feel experienced pool players associate colors with numbers...
...what's wrong with keeping them traditional...it's not like the colors are an improvement....they are just different.

Are you sure it was the Straight Pool? They were using Aramith balls which was a sponsor of the Straight Pool