New Scoring System

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is for the people that actually play in the APA (not just to bash it). How is the new scoring system? I asked in another thread but no one answered, so I am asking again. Is it helping to hold down the sandbagging, etc.? How do the people that are currently playing APA like the system? What are the pros and cons?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in my estimation it is too early to tell.

remember, your handicap is based on your 10 best out of your last 20 matches... or something like that.

imo , sandbaggers are gonna sandbag no matter what the scoring system is.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I usually walk up to a girl and ask, "does this damp rag smell like chloroform to you"?

Oh, not that kind of scoring.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
For the weaker players, it's a bonus. In the past, if I won a match 6 - 1 or 5 - 1, I got all the points. The new system rewards the losing player. Either by limiting me to 2 points rather than three or giving the losing player one point. Other than that, I see no problems. Then again, I only play eight ball. No one around here seems to want a nine in nine ball. Long term will it make a difference? Of course only time will tell.

Lyn

AlinEdm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few observations as my eight ball division nears the end of the first session with the new scoring:

We’re seeing that it gives a clearer picture of the strength of the teams. In our eight team division there is a nine point difference between 1st and 4th and also a nine point difference between 4th and 5th.

I think it’s fuelling the drive to compete. The players on the team I’m with are all wanting to get the three point win or at least try to dig up a point if they’re in a deep hole.

One team in particular who does not like the change rightfully pointed out that it’s possible to win the night with a losing win/loss record but this hasn’t happened yet.

The bad apple team who tried working the system routinely forfeited match-ups to avoid a 3-0 loss. Another team called them on their lack of sportsmanship and now they just don’t show up. They’re not missed but the additional five possible points above the 10-0 forfeit score are.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the weaker players, it's a bonus. In the past, if I won a match 6 - 1 or 5 - 1, I got all the points. The new system rewards the losing player. Either by limiting me to 2 points rather than three or giving the losing player one point. Other than that, I see no problems. Then again, I only play eight ball. No one around here seems to want a nine in nine ball. Long term will it make a difference? Of course only time will tell.

Lyn

But doesn't this keep teams from putting up real weak players against top players?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
But doesn't this keep teams from putting up real weak players against top players?

On thr contrary, we've seen quite a bit more "throwing off" under the new system.

The 2 or 3 only has to win one game to get to the hill. Even the better players can hang an 8-ball, or scratch on it, or early 8 every now and again. The better player really has to concentrate to win five or six games in a row, and not let down.

I'm still trying to match up closer skill levels, when I can, cuz its more fun playing that way. I don't enjoy watching my 3 have to try to survive the other teams 7 for six games. Nor do i like watching my 7 have to do the same. My team all prefers to play against someone closer to our speed. Our team is in the minority, tho.

To the OPs question. I agree with everyone that it is too early to tell. Still, it appears that the 5's and 6's can't lay back too much lest the risk letting their opponents get to the hill.

It sure has changed the strategy. Trying to anticipate the other teams moves is much more difficult, now that teams throw off so much more.

Banks

Banned
Imo, much more now depends on how the low s/l players do. Two games is a win, one game is hill and no games is a total blowout. Good 6s or 7s should still win more often without being zipped, so their scores will probably balance out more. Just my thoughts from what I've seen of it so far.

CoachDitka2001

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it may reduce sandbagging a bit, it would reduce it a LOT more if they just let people in on some of the unknown parts of the ranking system. People will always sandbag, but I always got a laugh out of people running up innings when winning a match thinking it was going to do something for them.

-Coach

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best part of this system bennifits 2's & 3's, because they usually lose but now if they win 1 game they at least get 1 point, so it doesn't make them feel like complete losers. The worst part comes into play at the end of the season. Teams that have no chance just dump and if your team is in the middle of the standings can now jump up to first because you are now getting 3 points for a win. I think it would be a much better system if you didn't get 3 points for a shutout.