Billiard Digest - Player of this Decade?

UKPool

Registered
I have little argument against SVB at all and rightly so.

The nature of the game makes it very hard for someone to dominate unlike other sports but Shane was probably the most consistent player of the decade so deserves it based on that.

In fact he hasn’t dominated at all except at the US Open but his numerous placings at the big events have surely been enough as I can’t think of no one else. This is despite never winning the World Championship which is unthinkable in other sports.

I don’t buy massively into the race to 50/100 games like many on here do such is the culture but more so tournaments. Appleton was brilliant between 2008-2015 winning a world title at 4 disciplines also a world games and Mosconi honours but fell away.

DO I just don’t think did enough but gets a lot of love on this forum as do many Pinoy’s.

Any other honourable mentions?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have little argument against SVB at all and rightly so.

The nature of the game makes it very hard for someone to dominate unlike other sports but Shane was probably the most consistent player of the decade so deserves it based on that.

In fact he hasn’t dominated at all except at the US Open but his numerous placings at the big events have surely been enough as I can’t think of no one else. This is despite never winning the World Championship which is unthinkable in other sports.

I don’t buy massively into the race to 50/100 games like many on here do such is the culture but more so tournaments. Appleton was brilliant between 2008-2015 winning a world title at 4 disciplines also a world games and Mosconi honours but fell away.

DO I just don’t think did enough but gets a lot of love on this forum as do many Pinoy’s.

Any other honourable mentions?
I think Ko Pin Yi has a strong argument. World Champ in 10 ball and 9 ball in 2015, and countless high finishes.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Actually, he was also dominant at the Derby City Classic, in which he won the nine ball in 2012, 2014 and 2016. The field size in the nine ball tends to be about 400 so that's a huge achievement. He also won the coveted all-around, called "Master of the Table", in both 2011 and 2012, denoting the world's best all-around player. He has also won the ten ball event more than once at Derby City. Nobody has come close to achieving what Shane has at the Derby City Classic in the past decade.

Agreed that the long races are completely irrelevant. Player of the decade is about tournament pool.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, he was also dominant at the Derby City Classic, in which he won the nine ball in 2012, 2014 and 2016. The field size in the nine ball tends to be about 400 so that's a huge achievement. He also won the coveted all-around, called "Master of the Table", in both 2011 and 2012, denoting the world's best all-around player. He has also won the ten ball event more than once at Derby City. Nobody has come close to achieving what Shane has at the Derby City Classic in the past decade.

Agreed that the long races are completely irrelevant. Player of the decade is about tournament pool.
Stu, didn’t Alex and Dennis O win more than one MoT this decade too? Would they be in contention if so?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, didn’t Alex and Dennis O win more than one MoT this decade too? Would they be in contention if so?

Yes, they also had a great decade at the DCC. I was only reacting to another poster's suggestion that Shane had truly remarkable results at the US Open 9-ball alone.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best player of the 2000's was Ralf Souquet by a lot. I was shocked when BD voted otherwise.

I checked the Az billiards winnings for the decade and Ralf Souquet had roughly $830,000. Mika had over 1 million. Hard to believe based on this that Ralf Souquet was the best “by a lot.”

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Just saw this...
84b98685f1f8d7b70fb2ee8b3bd7dce3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/150128391777/posts/10156940439366778/