Did someone change what "Amateur" means?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe all these guys turned Pro after July 2011...

US Amateur Open 10-Ball
July 29 - 31, 2011
Emerald Billiards
New Iberia, La

1st
Johnny Archer
$2,000.00

2nd
Thorsten Hohmann
$1,000.00

3rd
Shane Van Boening
$700.00

and so on.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Sometimes, "Amateur" events become "Open" events due to lack of full field, some pros show up and the TD wants them in, etc. I was in a big "amateur" tournament back in the early 90s once, where the TD announced that 4 pros wanted to enter...he told us that if we didn't object, he'd let them in, but if we did object, he'd cancel the tournament as he had too many byes (lack of full field). It was BS, but no one objected, and ironically, none of the pros placed higher than 4th.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably started when the Olympics lowered the standards for who could compete. It used to be if you accepted money for that sport anywhere in the world you were no longer an amateur. Now professional basketball players compete in Olympic basketball!?!

Over in the photography realm, one is an amateur until he makes 50%+ of his/her income from photographic efforts and endeavours.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over in the photography realm, one is an amateur until he makes 50%+ of his/her income from photographic efforts and endeavours.

Golf has a similar definition, if 50% or more of your income is based on your "golf skill or golf knowledge." Then again, pool has "semi-pro", whatever that means.

Anyway "US Amateur Open" means Open, not Amateur, so there you go.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
When I see a tournament called an Amateur Open my brain says Open.

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member

When I see Amateur my brain says amateur.....Why use the word then when instead you will be playing some of the best pool players thats ever lived...?

Don't get me wrong here... I'll play in a cheap tourny with the best in the world everyday of my life till I go broke...but, I don't want to travel somewhere thinking if I play good I have a chance here and then SVB walks up to the table... I would be like "excuse me uhh" lol

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When SVB has played in tournaments here at Fargo Billiards everyone wants to play him so you can say you played the best

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amateur

I think it was either the second or third Hopkins event I played in that Rodney Morris won the Amateur side. Everyone was saying at that time "why isn't he in the pro side?". There have been many others, but alas, I am old and my memory is slowly slipping away......

Bob

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Golf has a similar definition, if 50% or more of your income is based on your "golf skill or golf knowledge."

Not even close to 50%. Well unless you only make about $1500 a year. ;)

Any finacial gains, voucher or otherwise may not exceed I believe $750 in virtually any capacity. Winnings, instruction, compensation for knowledge. It's possible to even lose Amatuer status without exceeding the monetary restrictions.

As it should be IMO.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I see Amateur my brain says amateur.....Why use the word then when instead you will be playing some of the best pool players thats ever lived...?

Don't get me wrong here... I'll play in a cheap tourny with the best in the world everyday of my life till I go broke...but, I don't want to travel somewhere thinking if I play good I have a chance here and then SVB walks up to the table... I would be like "excuse me uhh" lol

I agree, good post.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably started when the Olympics lowered the standards for who could compete. It used to be if you accepted money for that sport anywhere in the world you were no longer an amateur. Now professional basketball players compete in Olympic basketball!?!

This kinda pisses me off too. That whole Dream Team thing was a bit of a joke.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That should mean any level, no handicap, non pro. So if you're a C, feel welcome to sign up but you'll be playing against an A player even.

In this case though, it was named funny. non-pro 8 ball but Open 9 ball tourney at same place.

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Generally in most sports, open means open to anyone. Tennis, bowling, golf etc.

Whereas amateur should mean no professional or those who are capable of that level of playing, competitors.

Open is intended to allow an amateur 'in' and amateur is intended to keep 'pro' out.

Amateur and Open should not be able to exist in the same sentence.