Will this Slate warp ?

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Guys, I have a 8 ft. American Heritage Britton home table. It is in not a GC but it is in very good condition and plays well. I have heard that because of the amount of overhang around the perimeter, from the frame to the outer edge of backing and slate, which is about 8 inch's, that over time the its possible that the slate can warp due to the weight and amount of overhang. Have any of you ever came across this? If so, I can brace it with some very nice bracing. If not, then I'm not going to do anything. I've had the table 2 years and it is dead level at this point.
Thanks for the advice in advance !!! :thumbup:

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
On most American Heritage tables I've seen (among many other brands, to be fair), the more noticeable warp will be in the middle of the plying surface where the frame is not supported by a leg. A weak frame will sag in the middle under the weight.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On most American Heritage tables I've seen (among many other brands, to be fair), the more noticeable warp will be in the middle of the plying surface where the frame is not supported by a leg. A weak frame will sag in the middle under the weight.

Thanks for the info! Considering that would be under the table, it would be very easy to add some support, either more cross braces or even a couple of column like supports. I've had the table 2 years, right now it is dead level.
Would you suggest doing this?
Look forward to your response!
Thanks again......:thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks for the info! Considering that would be under the table, it would be very easy to add some support, either more cross braces or even a couple of column like supports. I've had the table 2 years, right now it is dead level.

Frame sag and slate sag are two different things. Although the slate will adapt to the frame and sag along with it if it sags, they both can be corrected by either correcting the frame sag, or compensating the slate sag on the frame with wedges to level the slate over the frame of the table.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've not been so lucky. I would never recommend an AH table to anyone I like. AH sent a "technician" to my home in an attempt to fix my table. Plays worse now and less then a month after this fix the seams popped again. Still waiting for AH respond. I give them credit for trying but not for the poor results.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member

If it's dead level right now after two years, I wouldn't mess with it. If it becomes a problem, then address the problem.

A buddy of mine got one brand new in the box. We set it up and he called me two weeks later telling me everything rolled into the middle of the table toward the side pockets. I told him he was crazy. ;-) Sure enough, if you slow rolled a ball at pocket speed across an end rail, it would hook in past the middle diamond on the side rail!!! We took it apart and wedged up the middle of the slate and it seems that it's settled in fine now, but I'd never seen one move that much in two weeks' time!

If it hasn't settled in two years though, you should be in good shape.