Cue repairs

Gurnee_Steve

OK guys, be nice to me...this is my first post.

I live in northern Illinois and want to get a new tip on my cue. I've got a Runde with 2 shafts, both ivory ferules. I took one shaft into a local shop that sells tables and asked to get a Moori medium. The guy hacked it. Where in northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin can I go where they're used to working on high-end cues?

Tanks.

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gurnee_Steve said:

I live in northern Illinois and want to get a new tip on my cue. I've got a Runde with 2 shafts, both ivory ferules. I took one shaft into a local shop that sells tables and asked to get a Moori medium. The guy hacked it. Where in northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin can I go where they're used to working on high-end cues?

Tanks.
Look up Jon Spitz. He's a local cue maker in the Wauconda or Round Lake area, as I recall--he plays sometimes at On Cue in Gray's Lake, where I play in a league. I believe he does tips and repairs. I haven't used him, but I have seen many of his cues and he does nice work.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gurnee_Steve...Why not take it to Schon in Milwaukee? It's less than an hour from you, and Evan Clark and Runde WERE Schon Cues, for years, until Runde left. For certain they handle work on high end cues...especially ones that were made by them.

BTW...Welcome to the board!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Gurnee_Steve said:

Tanks.

Gurnee_Steve

brechbt said:
Look up Jon Spitz. He's a local cue maker in the Wauconda or Round Lake area, as I recall--he plays sometimes at On Cue in Gray's Lake, where I play in a league. I believe he does tips and repairs. I haven't used him, but I have seen many of his cues and he does nice work.
Thanks brechbt. I go to On Cue maybe once a month. Next time I'll ask about Jon. Every time I'm in there they ask me about joining a league...this fall I think I might do it.

Gurnee_Steve

Scott Lee said:
Gurnee_Steve...Why not take it to Schon in Milwaukee? It's less than an hour from you, and Evan Clark and Runde WERE Schon Cues, for years, until Runde left. For certain they handle work on high end cues...especially ones that were made by them.

BTW...Welcome to the board!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Thanks Scott. My wife and I love to go to Milwaukee...it's like a mini-Chicago, but affordable! I've been up to Romaine's a couple times to test hit their demo Schon's but I never thought about going to the shop where they're made. I'm definitely gonna look up the address and stop by next time I'm up there.

davidwoj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have no problem recommending Jon Spitz, he has done some repair work for me in the past. He's a good guy that's easy to work with.

Here is a link to his website: http://www.willadcock.com/spitz_1.htm

He used to post here under the name wood2wood (I think), not sure if he still does.

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
Gurnee_Steve said:

Tanks.

Steve, welcome my friend...
You've been watching for too long, I'm glad you decided to join the ruckus.:p

Fellas, I know this man personally, he's a great guy and he will definately have a positive impact here on AZ...

Gurnee_Steve

RackRunner said:
Steve, welcome my friend...
You've been watching for too long, I'm glad you decided to join the ruckus.:p

Fellas, I know this man personally, he's a great guy and he will definately have a positive impact here on AZ...
Thanks for the PR buddy and I'll shoot some right back at ya.

I've bought 2 Runde cues from Rackrunner and love them. He's not only an honest guy with a great sense of humor...he shoots pool Lights Out, and I mean pitch black!!

Gurnee_Steve

Randy9Ball said:
If you're near McHenry, you could go to Darrin Hill's shop.
Randy9Ball,

I went to Darrin Hill's cue shop in McHenry last Friday. Wow, thanks for the suggestion. A very personable guy who loved to show off his shop and cues in process. He put new Moori's on both of my shafts and I love them. He put them on the lathe and trimmed them beautifully to the shape I requested. Then he took out a couple nicks and polished each shaft. They're like brand new. When I get some extra cash I might go back and have him make me a cue. Thanks again.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Gurnee_Steve said:
Tanks.

Gurnee_Steve said:
I went to Darrin Hill's cue shop in McHenry last Friday. Wow, thanks for the suggestion. A very personable guy who loved to show off his shop and cues in process. He put new Moori's on both of my shafts and I love them. He put them on the lathe and trimmed them beautifully to the shape I requested. Then he took out a couple nicks and polished each shaft. They're like brand new. When I get some extra cash I might go back and have him make me a cue. Thanks again.

Happy to hear you found a competent cue guy that spent some extra time on your shafts.

Last edited:

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gurnee_Steve said:
Randy9Ball,

You're welcome Steve! Darrin's a great guy to deal with and a fantastic cuemaker.

Regards,

Randy

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Gurnee_Steve said:

Are we really that hard on newbies???????????????;) ;)

Welcome to the forum! Will look forward to more from you.

Steve