*(&$# this forum!!!

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:cool:

When I found this forum I was playing pretty good. I was running out a lot and beating most. Then I read a post where Mark Tad talked about aiming and the movement in the tip being responsible for inconsistencies in ball striking. Suddenly I noticed my tip. It was moving around like the end of a Lance going full tilt towards a knight during a joust!

Then I thought, why the heck am I looking at the tip anyway, so I read a thread about what you look at last...next thing you know, it was taking me about 45 seconds to pull the trigger while I tried to look at the cue ball, no the cue, no the object ball, no....ARGH!

I figured if I could only aim better. I read a thread about ball slices and contact points. And who the hell is Hal Houle anyway! And what does he know....I'm serious, WHAT DOES HE KNOW? Inquiring minds want to know.

Then I thought possibly deflection and squirt were to blame. Do I need a predator shaft? Is my shaft whippy or stiff? How do I tell? I've had the same Cue for 15 years, what if it's the wrong one for me?!?!?!

Never mind that a one-piece house cue plays better.

Finally after months and months of being in a slump. I was so desperate that I gave up on the free water and I just went out, got drunk and played pool. Forgot everything I've learned and now I'm back to making balls and running out. Pool is comfortably boring again.

But it WAS a fun ride. So next time my practice sessions get boring, I'll start reading threads on pre-shot routines and the benefits of pausing at the end of the backstroke so that I'll have lots to work on, but until then, I'll see you on the table.

Cheers,
Regas

Purdman

Banned
sixpack said:

When I found this forum I was playing pretty good. I was running out a lot and beating most. Then I read a post where Mark Tad talked about aiming and the movement in the tip being responsible for inconsistencies in ball striking. Suddenly I noticed my tip. It was moving around like the end of a Lance going full tilt towards a knight during a joust!

Then I thought, why the heck am I looking at the tip anyway, so I read a thread about what you look at last...next thing you know, it was taking me about 45 seconds to pull the trigger while I tried to look at the cue ball, no the cue, no the object ball, no....ARGH!

I figured if I could only aim better. I read a thread about ball slices and contact points. And who the hell is Hal Houle anyway! And what does he know....I'm serious, WHAT DOES HE KNOW? Inquiring minds want to know.

Then I thought possibly deflection and squirt were to blame. Do I need a predator shaft? Is my shaft whippy or stiff? How do I tell? I've had the same Cue for 15 years, what if it's the wrong one for me?!?!?!

Finally after months and months of being in a slump. I was so desperate that I gave up on the free water and I just went out, got drunk and played pool. Forgot everything I've learned and now I'm back to making balls and running out. Pool is comfortably boring again.

But it WAS a fun ride. So next time my practice sessions get boring, I'll start reading threads on pre-shot routines and the benefits of pausing at the end of the backstroke so that I'll have lots to work on, but until then, I'll see you on the table.

Cheers,
Regas

Come on Regas, tell us how you realy feel!!! LOL
I know the feeling my friend. Too many cooks ruin the dinner.
Don P. :D

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That post now takes its place among the best I've read. Talk about paralysis by analysis.

Thanks for that one,
Dave

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donald A. Purdy said:
Come on Regas, tell us how you realy feel!!! LOL
I know the feeling my friend. Too many cooks ruin the dinner.
Don P. :D
ROFLMAO
The only sport even close in having a million theories (all of which f*&k you up) is golf. When the right brain kicks in, the left loses control of the muscles. Or, is it the left brain. Dammit. Here I go again . . . . . :confused:

BigRigTom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sixpack said:

Cheers,
Regas

I feel your pain.
Been there done that!

Purdman

Banned
Gremlin said:
Regas,

Sorry you had to experience it first hand. I read nothing on this forum about the technical part of pool. It destroys your game. :)

Geez Gremlin, now you went and ruined it for us instructors. You had to spill the beans didn't ya. I thought you were my friend. Seriously, I haven't charged for a lesson in 3 years. BCA Certified, guaranteed to ruin your game.
That will be my new slogan.
Purdman :D

3RAIL KICK

Registered
Yeah Buddy

sixpack said:

Cheers,
Regas

I AGREE. WHEN I THINK ABOUT HOW TO PLAY, I CAN'T. I PLAY BEST WHEN I HAVE A BAD COLD AND AM TAKING ROBITUSSIN.

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3RAIL KICK said:
I AGREE. WHEN I THINK ABOUT HOW TO PLAY, I CAN'T. I PLAY BEST WHEN I HAVE A BAD COLD AND AM TAKING ROBITUSSIN.
Man after reading that can u write a note for me .I called out of work 2- day .... :D :D

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
Hoooraaayyyy!...six Pack Is A Pool Guru!

Finally!...Damn!...I mean I thought I was the only one that got it!

Ya know,

The first 'Team' I ever had the pleasure of being a member of..., well we had a slogan when things weren't going as planned...

I'm at the table...dogging...I look over to my team, and say...

'somebody tell me to play fu!@ing' pool!'

Their reply...

'Play Fu!@king pool'...

Sometimes it really is that simple... :D

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
3RAIL KICK said:
I PLAY BEST WHEN I HAVE A BAD COLD AND AM TAKING ROBITUSSIN.

Ya, we've had a thread on this topic too. Hopefully nobody went out and got pharmaceutically confused after that one :D

Dave

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
sixpack said:

Cheers,
Regas

Wait a minute! Couldn't it be that all the time and energy you "wasted" was responsible for your recent success?

What I mean is, even though your reading here resulted in your playing like crap for a while, couldn' it have actually made you a better player in the long run?

It is sometimes necessary to integrate new knowledge and suffer for a while before the it pays off. It isn't that you gave up on learning that made you play well again; it's that the learning was finally integrated into YOUR shot.

If you continue to do this learning (as opposed to stopping it, as suggested here), you will be on the infinite path to growth, a good thing, imho.

Some laughed at this quote before, but it applies here:

"Adopt pliable adaptability, therefore change is no change." --Bruce Lee

Jeff Livingston

sixpack said:

Cheers,
Regas

And all you had to do was read everything Bob Jewett has to teach about the game to get back on track. (ooops....never expect to hear from Regas again) :D

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Curious... I was going to start a thread about what the right balance is between conscious and subconscious pre-shot routine and shotmaking. But I guess... there you have it!

RAZOR ROG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was hilarious! Maybe that's why Corey Deuel went on a golf binge a while back. Probably not. ;)

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
Wait a minute! Couldn't it be that all the time and energy you "wasted" was responsible for your recent success?

What I mean is, even though your reading here resulted in your playing like crap for a while, couldn' it have actually made you a better player in the long run?

It is sometimes necessary to integrate new knowledge and suffer for a while before the it pays off. It isn't that you gave up on learning that made you play well again; it's that the learning was finally integrated into YOUR shot.

If you continue to do this learning (as opposed to stopping it, as suggested here), you will be on the infinite path to growth, a good thing, imho.

Some laughed at this quote before, but it applies here:

"Adopt pliable adaptability, therefore change is no change." --Bruce Lee

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

Absolutely! After studying the difference between Tiger woods and the rest of the PGA tour, the difference I found is in his purposefulness. I think of it as, if you try harder, and play worse, then you don't know what you're doing. In other words, when you try harder you're trying harder to do it the wrong way. Your mental image of what you're trying to do doesn't match either the way you're actually doing it or the way you should be doing it. That is why a lot of golfers and pool players like to say to 'let it happen'. What that really means is let your natural ability take over. You can be good this way but not great. AND you can't exceed your natural ability. Tiger is willing to 'break' his game to get to the next level. That is essentially what I did.

The post is tongue-in-cheek, but there is a valid point in it about the frustration of working on your game. The problem that I identified in my game that caused this slump/cure was that no matter how hard I tried, I was missing long shots. I've always been excellent at making long shots, so it was alarming. To make it worse, this problem went away when I shot hard or used a lot of English. I could play good that way, but not great. It's a limitation to HAVE to use english on a spot shot. While fixing the head position and address position on the cue ball, I broke several other things that are now falling back into place so even though I feel like I'm just getting back to my pre-work level, but in reality I'm setting the foundation for getting to a much higher level.

Case in point, a few days ago I beat the 9-ball ghost 6 games in a row in the 9' tables. I've done better on the barbox, but not on the big box.

Cheers,
Regas

ashmouth

Registered Offender
sixpack said:

Cheers,
Regas

Nice post Regas... maybe while you're here, you could dig up a thread on proper way to make a spot shot and forward it to Matt K.! LOL

See you at the rack,
Brian

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ashmouth said:
Nice post Regas... maybe while you're here, you could dig up a thread on proper way to make a spot shot and forward it to Matt K.! LOL

See you at the rack,
Brian

Hey Brian,

LOL

You can lead a horse to water...

I don't know why he wasn't interested in it. That half-ball method has saved me a bunch when I wasn't shooting great.

Cheers,
Regas

PM me your number so I can give you the prices on the shirts.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sixpack, yours are the frustrations of improvement in anything having a long learning curve. One step backward to go two steps forward.

Still, you make a good case for avoidance of information overload. It's best to be focusing on a few things at a time when you strive for success.

Your expereince also tends to evidence that when it comes to improvement, you need a game plan. Despite the superabundance of wisdom on this forum, you cannot expect to succeed if you're continually willing to tweak your game at a moment's notice just because of something you just read or learned.

The best way to develop a game plan for improvement is to entrust your game to a qualified instructor, who will give you a plan and make sure you stick to it. To me, it sounds like you need a little more direction and a little more continuity in your developmental plan.

ashmouth

Registered Offender
sixpack said:
Hey Brian,

LOL

You can lead a horse to water...

I don't know why he wasn't interested in it. That half-ball method has saved me a bunch when I wasn't shooting great.

Cheers,
Regas

PM me your number so I can give you the prices on the shirts.

I think it was more of a timing/pride thing... you know how it is when you're losing $$$ and someone offers to show you how to make the shot after you just missed the money ball (regardless of the good intentions of the person offering the advice)... just one of those things.... ya know.

I'll PM you now with my #.... thanks for offering to get the team shirts for us!

Laters,
B