Pool in High Def

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just curious if anyone has ever seen a broadcast on TV of pool in HD? I know 2-3 weeks ago, ESPN2 showed International Speed Pool on HD. Everything was in HD, literally, even the pocket cams. I'm curious as to why I haven't seen an HD broadcast of a 9 ball tournament. Surely 9 ball is more popular than speed pool?

Don't know if anyone else saw the International Speed Pool tournament on ESPN2HD, it looked much clearer.

Got this from http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/print.php?sid=891 :
"The 2008 ESPN ZONE BILLIARDS SHOOTOUT was held October 1 in Las Vegas. Bobby McGrath defeated Dave Pearson for the INTERNATIONAL SPEED POOL CHALLENGE crown and the $40,000 purse. ESPN Zone Las Vegas was host to the event, which was taped for three 1-hour telecasts on ESPN and the first ever to be broadcast in High Definition."

So I guess it is the first ever HD broadcast for pool.

Last edited:

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing at a time buddy... I would be glad just to see more 9 ball matches on tv period. HD at this point would be unreal.

ATM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever pool is on espn2 its also offered at the same time on espn2hd on Comcast here in Ct., 9ball, speed pool, trick shots, whatever. I do a search and save them with the dvr.

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
Whenever pool is on espn2 its also offered at the same time on espn2hd on Comcast here in Ct., 9ball, speed pool, trick shots, whatever. I do a search and save them with the dvr.

That is the same way it is here in South Carolina with Time Warner Cable, CH.25-26 shows regular billiards and CH.950-951 shows same but in HD for more $$$.

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe my question wasn't clear. I know that ESPN2 and ESPN2HD always show the same thing. The thing is, only a few shows are recorded with an actual HD camera. For pool, almost all the shows are recorded in standard camera, so even if you view it on ESPN2HD, it is still shown in the standard format, 480i. Like today, the WPBA San Diego classic was not HD. However, the speed pool challenge played on ESPN2 on April 18th was recorded with HD cameras and shown in 720p, which is the first time I've seen this for pool. Even the pocket cam was an HD camera, and the commentator said something about it being the smallest HD camera available. I guess my question is, if speed pool is filmed in HD, why can't the 9 ball events? Surely the 9 ball events are much more popular.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
For pool, almost all the shows are recorded in standard camera, so even if you view it on ESPN2HD, it is still shown in the standard format, 480i.

You read my mind.

And it all comes down to dollars and cents. Why spend 3x more money to produce something, when it barely makes a profit to begin with? Without demand, why supply?

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You read my mind.

And it all comes down to dollars and cents. Why spend 3x more money to produce something, when it barely makes a profit to begin with? Without demand, why supply?

Yes, your right. Pool will have to significantly grow in popularity to ever be filmed in HD from a business standpoint. I guess its just ironic that the first pool event to be broadcast in HD is speed pool. From my experience, I just feel that speed pool has the least demand of all events.