Poll: Butt Dimensions for your cue?

What size handle do you prefer on your playing cue?

• Smaller or thinner handle than normal

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Standard size handle or most common dimension

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Over sized handle dimension

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I own 4 cues and one of them is noticeably thinner feeling in my hand. I always thought I preferred a thinner handle on my cue, but after owning a few different cues I found that I prefer a standard to over size handle on my cue over a thinner handle. I was wondering what most people prefer standard to oversize handle or thinner handle on your playing cues?

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butt demension

Depends on the height of the woman, I mean the length of the cue.:D

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Personally I like a slightly slimmer butt...not really skinny just a hair under the norm. For example i wouldn't want the handle any skinnier than say whats on a cuetek.....

I have large palms but short fingers so i find it more comfortable with the slimmer handle...

As opposed to me Joel Weinstock who taught me to build cues and also is a fine player really likes a thicker handle on his personal cues...

Its really just arbitrary everyones going to feel a little diff on that.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a rubber grip (tube) on the gripping area of my cue -- just like carom players use. (In my avatar photo, you can see that the cue I'm using has a yellow rubber grip installed on the grip area.) As such, I prefer a slightly thinner butt. The rubber grip, when installed (rolled on), adds a little more than a 1/16-inch to the butt's dimensions (perhaps 3/32-inch?), and that's pretty significant.

-Sean

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I use a rubber grip (tube) on the gripping area of my cue -- just like carom players use. (In my avatar photo, you can see that the cue I'm using has a yellow rubber grip installed on the grip area.) As such, I prefer a slightly thinner butt. The rubber grip, when installed (rolled on), adds a little more than a 1/16-inch to the butt's dimensions (perhaps 3/32-inch?), and that's pretty significant.

-Sean

Sean if you like those grips but the thickness ever proves an issue...go to a local medical supply store and buy some PENROSE TUBE

it comes in differient dia and is about 2ft long/pc.....its really cheap and is super thin and has some great grip and holds up pretty good

stuff is probably 2 or 3 condoms thick lol (still thin :) )but is strong and tacky perfect for a cue grip

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean if you like those grips but the thickness ever proves an issue...go to a local medical supply store and buy some PENROSE TUBE

it comes in differient dia and is about 2ft long/pc.....its really cheap and is super thin and has some great grip and holds up pretty good

stuff is probably 2 or 3 condoms thick lol (still thin :) )but is strong and tacky perfect for a cue grip

GG:

Penrose tube, eh? Gosh, I never thought of that! I'll have to give that a try. I noticed that some Penrose tube have ribs along the length of the tube, while others don't:

19.jpg

...so I'll have to try both types. Anyway, what an idea -- thanks!

-Sean

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm experimenting with soft grips, haven't reached a conclusion yet. They add lots of girth, but the foam is a nice interface.

What I would like to try are the octagonal butts made by Poison, and the hexagonal ones made by a Canadian cue maker.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
GG:

Penrose tube, eh? Gosh, I never thought of that! I'll have to give that a try. I noticed that some Penrose tube have ribs along the length of the tube, while others don't:

19.jpg

...so I'll have to try both types. Anyway, what an idea -- thanks!

-Sean

Never tried the kind with ribs but I've used the smooth b/f like in the pic....pretty good stuff it was joel weinstock who i first saw use the stuff about 5-6 years ago i guess....i've seen the grips that the carom players use and if they are the nutz then the penrose drain/tube is the Triple nutz!

Thanks for the rep and hope you enjoy the new grip when you get it

Attachments

• drains.jpg
    drains.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 847

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Most butt diameters are at 1.25 inches, give or take.
My third wife's butt was considerably bigger than that. As a matter of fact it was so big that when I would tell her to haul ass, she would have to make two trips.
Her butt was so big her high school graduation photograph was an aerial shot.
I miss her though. She was once, twice, three times a lady. :grin:

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a thicker butt.

I wish I would have had (or gotten) a caliper when I had my Dale Patten cue, which is the cue I think of when I think of the best player I had.

I'm going to say it was thicker than 1.25. The cue was also shorter (57" maybe?), lighter (sub 19 oz.), and had thinner shafts.

Aside from the length, I wish I would have had the exact specks so I could get somebody to duplicate that cue. Actually my 1st wish would be to still have it, but maybe somebody would be able to make something like it that would be even prettier!!!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I like a thicker butt.

I wish I would have had (or gotten) a caliper when I had my Dale Patten cue, which is the cue I think of when I think of the best player I had.

I'm going to say it was thicker than 1.25. The cue was also shorter (57" maybe?), lighter (sub 19 oz.), and had thinner shafts.

Aside from the length, I wish I would have had the exact specks so I could get somebody to duplicate that cue. Actually my 1st wish would be to still have it, but maybe somebody would be able to make something like it that would be even prettier!!!

I recently sold a cue because I didn't like the thinner feel of the handle. I have 3 other cues that are a more standard size and I couldn't get used to the smaller handle on the cue I sold. I'm sure if I only had one cue I could get used to the thinner handle.

James

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
For those who keep stats:

My Josey is 1.279" or 32.49 mm dia. at the butt cap piece
My Jacoby is 1.281" or 32.53 mm dia. at the butt cap piece

both linen wrap.

I dunno if this is thick or thin, but found it interesting that the two cues would be so close in size.

I'll avoid the other innuendos. In that area, I think shape is more important than size...lol.

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I like thinner butts. Thicker ones inhibit hip action! Uhhhhh wrist! Well you know what I mean!