Pool Cue Shaper

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Willard dime shaper and don't know what I'd do without it. Best shaper out there IMO, especially since the metal is braised on and it won't wear out like sandpaper. Also, the gauge on the side is nice for knowing if your tip needs shaping or not.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
If youre looking for an all in one tool, the Willard is either a nickle or a dime (no flexability, seems to be just a shaper)

The shark looks cool and has way more tools all in one. (this would probably be my preference if in the market because you have an all in one; shaper, scuffer, pick, mushroom blade, etc..)
The other one looks like it would be good for whatever one size you go for and thats it. (no flexibility)

Personally, I have a Cuetec bowtie. I like it because my tips are shaped nickel and it works on the shaping end and keeps them usable for the scuffing end.

Also has a pick to perforate the tips as they get used up from play.

I havent used it all that much since one cue I have is new and the tip is good, the other one has a good tip and hasnt needed any love yet.

Though I have used it on a few house cues and seemed to breath some life in them for breaking and play.

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the majority of cue tools, etc.

My favourite is the

http://shop.last4ever.net/Shop-Shaper-Aluminum-SSA.htm

This provides both dime and nickel. I go back and forth depending on tip size of the cue I am using. I also have one of the:

http://shop.last4ever.net/Pro-Model-Last-4-Ever-Tip-Tool-Nickel-Radius-PN.htm

NOTE: I also like the MEZZ tool that provides 3 radiuses plus gauges. On the MEZZ tool I did glue a piece of leather on the back for burnishing my tip.

http://www.miki-mezz.com/world/acc/cuemagic/index.html

Probably overkill........

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
i have these

IMG_3856.jpg

MMike

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used the Willard for years but about six months ago I bought a Last4Ever. It's more expensive but well worth it - a great shaper.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
When asked by a customer, I always recommended the Willard. The nickle shape for shafts with 13 to 12.75 mm tips, and the dime for all those under 12.75.
Not hard and fast rules, mind you. Only guidelines. :smile:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i havent read the other replies:eek:
from my experience
last4ever is the absolute best choice
jmho

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
The Willards is a nice tool for your case.
I have one like Mike posted only with permanent grit on it like the Willards.

The Sandman is a tool from Sweden that is a curved shaper with permanent grit in it too. The grit is a little on the course side for me.
Its great but it can take a lot off the tip if you're not careful. Probably much better for making the initial shape if you hand tip your cues.
Same goes for the shaper I mentioned that Mike posted.

Personally, I would rather have a finer grit if all your doing is reshaping a bit or scuffing.

Joel's is a great all around tool that fits in your case.

The Shark and Pup look like they are very well built but seriously many extra little Doodadian things on it that aren't really necessary.

Once you have your basic nickel or dime shape, all you need in your case for touch ups is a curved shaper.

Now that I have all the goodies, I would like to try Joel's. Its reasonably priced and has a couple of extras on it.

I have carried a cut off 4" plastic curve with 120 grit in my case for a long time now. That and a Willards.

Last edited:

rmw

Registered
I have the Bowtie and two Willards (one Nickel, one Dime). It is hard to beat the Bowtie for an all in one tool but I normally use one of the Willards if I am shaping (currently the Dime, but that could change tomorrow, depending on my constantly changing theory of the perfect tip).

Roy Vadas

Baby Seal Clubber
Silver Member
Another vote here for Joel Popes Last4Ever Shaper. I cant preach about it enough =) I honestly fight with myself all the time to buy another one as a backup but it still works as well today as the day I bought it (back when he first started selling them.)

Its not even close to being "used up." I use it all the time too.

~Roy

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a CueShark guy. Reason: it's the one tool that I go to, without having to fish around for it, that does everything I need. Nothing "Doodadian" about it at all -- the tools actually work.

I have the full CueShark, and the best part about it is that it stores OUTSIDE of your case -- meaning, the carry pouch that comes with it attaches to a zipper tab or any ring/lanyard on your case. When I need the CueShark, I don't go digging in my cue case's pouch -- I just open the CueShark's carry pouch attached to my cue case, and voila! -- the tool's in my hand, ready to go.

The abrasives on the CueShark are easy to clean, too. A toothbrush, or better yet -- an acid brush with its bristles trimmed down to 1/4-inch in length -- work to clean the abrasives in a couple seconds. (That tip, btw, works for all of the tip maintenance tools mentioned here in this thread.)

The tool is made from one-piece CNC-milled aluminum billet, so the quality is unquestionable. You can see and feel the quality. I've had mine for 3 years now, and haven't tried (or needed to try) any tip maintenance tools since.

-Sean