Cue Blank Maker vs Cue Finsher?

Pangit

Banned
What's more important? Take George Balabuska for example. Three distinct era's of his cue making career..three different Cue Blank maker's?

That says alot. There is alot to be said for the guy that makes his own blanks...finishes the cue...doesn't farm anything out..

It's all eye candy...who's holding the cue?

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I've had a bunch of cuemakers finish blanks, and they all play different, some better than others, imo. And I have had blank makers build finished cues that didn't play as good as the cuemaker that finished one of his blanks, imo. Some cuemakers refuse to use someone else's blanks, others are happy to. The art of cuemaking is in the individual differences of how they are made, and in the tapers of the butt and shaft. If it's all eye candy, why not just use a house cue?

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blanks are just pieces of wood that were cut from trees. Most are two inches square and are sold by the foot. They are stored to dry for a few years then trued and dried again. The cue maker selects the piece he wants to use and turns it on a lathe then cuts to length. The art is picking the best blank.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Blanks are just pieces of wood that were cut from trees. Most are two inches square and are sold by the foot. They are stored to dry for a few years then trued and dried again. The cue maker selects the piece he wants to use and turns it on a lathe then cuts to length. The art is picking the best blank.

Yes, those are blanks too. I think he is referring to something like this, tho.
http://www.palmercollector.com/JohnDavis.html
:D

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are semi-finished spliced pool cues. They are not blank. Well made, this is a person that can make you a very good cue.