Problem with distance on cut shots

ledrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone. I've been noticing the shots I tend to miss most are cuts where the cue ball and object ball are close together. For example, a 45 degree cut with a 3-4 inches separation between CB and OB. Any words of advice on cut shots with balls close together? Thanks

phjunky

Registered
Sorry if I'm boring, but only one word... Practice... it's a good thing that you noticed a weak point, so you can redo that shot over and over to get it. Try those with projection (throw) and deflection (squirt -harder). You'll realize that the aiming point is changing depending of the english you put. But i'm not an expert, the only real good trick is : practice.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ledrums said:
Hi everyone. I've been noticing the shots I tend to miss most are cuts where the cue ball and object ball are close together. For example, a 45 degree cut with a 3-4 inches separation between CB and OB. Any words of advice on cut shots with balls close together? Thanks

I used to be really uncomfortable with the shots you describe. What I do now is I just look at the contact point and focus on it. I focus on hitting exactly that spot, and hitting exactly where I want to on the cueball. On these shots I have a tendency to look at the cueball last. Just stay solid in your stance, keep your head down and stroke straight thru. You should get better results. I have a better make percentage with shots like this now, after focusing on what I described.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
i also find these type of shots hard as i get down really low and i lose sight of the angle, but i find using the aim and pivot system really good for these type of shots. But like LastTwo mention'd focus on hitting exactly the contact point.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Close quarter cut shots are difficult to see if you shoot with your chin down close to the cuestick. Try raising your head 6" or so and these shots will be much easier to see.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Good points guys.

If I were you I would do some progressive cut shots. Start with the cueball close to the object ball and gradually increase the distance. (It is important that the object ball be put on the same spot everytime. And that the cueball stay on the shot line.

START(
%AN7O5%Co4G4%G\0K9%Kh7I0%Lb4J4%PU3M4%YC2Q7%Zu7E9%]D1Z9%^N1P0
)END

The 7,12, 11, and 3 balls represent cueball positions as you increase the distance

Attachments

• op.JPG
    op.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 166

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may just be a the way that I see it, and possibly not actual fact, but I feel that the the closer the cb is to the object ball, the ob is more subject to having it's path altered with throw or 'clinging' caused by unintended spin on the cb. However, this effect is greater with thicker cuts than with thinner cuts, so it may not be your problem. Maybe just the way I see it, but when the cb is close (10cm or more), I tend to either cut thinner than the way I see it, and/or use enough outside english to cover for what I see as cling/throw. As another poster mentioned, it also helps to look down onto the balls from a little bit higher head position than you normally might use during other shots.
dave

MacGyver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please look at my rant at http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=31608

A main problem on close cut shots is that since they are so close, the Cueball is likely to be sliding(stun) at the moment of contact.

If you are shooting soft/medium, what is happening is that you are undercutting the ball due to the stun throwing the ball out of line.

Solution? Inside english, follow or draw so that as the moment of impact it is spinning, and it will drive the ball where you want it(or learn how much your balls are throwing and just over-cut the shot when you need to use soft stun)

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ledrums said:

A common tendency on these shots is to hit them too thick. One reason is that stroking the CB as you would for a roll shot at 12 inches away will create a very different angle when hitting from 3 inches as the CB will not have enough time to pick up the topspin....hence you get higher throw friction.

So one tip is to make sure you hit the CB high to get the topspin straight away. Or if you have to play stun to get shape, add a 1/4 tip of OE. But using OE can give some pretty wild results if you get too little or too much. High topspin is the best way to go I think...draw will play about the same potting angle so can be used also.

Colin