Another Typical Botched Runout

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, here is another typical runout that i messed up last night. i was straight in on the '3' Ball, and wanted to draw back to get a slight angle on the '4' Ball to pocket it in the side, and then drift uptable for position on the '5' Ball.

however, i left the draw shot short, guess i choked it, dunno. i wanted to draw back around Point A, but i ended up around Point B, which left me in bad position. and i failed to get out simply because i missed position on the '4' Ball.

DCP

CueTable Help

Last edited:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member

CueTable Help

Hey DCP, what about this solution. I can draw back to B in your example with no problem but when I do I usually end up jawing the 3 ball because of too much juice on the draw. A follow shot would set you without too much juice. What do you think?

Black Cat :cool:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
If you're straight in on the four then just draw back for a cut on the five. It's not that hard of a shot.

CueTable Help

If you've got a decent angle on the four then go three or four rails around the table for shape on the five.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
If the balls were just as shown, you could have played the four with high left and used one rail to get to where the three was before you shot it. What did you try?

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
DCP, here's my two cents... Try to identify what LED to under-drawing or whatever other mistake you make. Did you let up on your stroke? Did you follow your routine religiously? What can be CORRECTED? My practice has gotten way better since I adopted that attitude.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
DCP, here's my two cents... Try to identify what LED to under-drawing or whatever other mistake you make. Did you let up on your stroke? Did you follow your routine religiously? What can be CORRECTED? My practice has gotten way better since I adopted that attitude.

Oh, sure I alway practice on things I need to correct, but if you think that's a failed run out, you haven't seen me play.

I'll show you how to blow a Mickey Mouse layout.

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
ok, here is another typical runout that i messed up last night. i was straight in on the '3' Ball, and wanted to draw back to get a slight angle on the '4' Ball to pocket it in the side, and then drift uptable for position on the '5' Ball.

however, i left the draw shot short, guess i choked it, dunno. i wanted to draw back around Point A, but i ended up around Point B, which left me in bad position. and i failed to get out simply because i missed position on the '4' Ball.

DCP

CueTable Help

I would try to draw the cueball back halfway to B in your diagram. Then cut the 4 in the side using inside english to go 3 to 4 rails for position on the 5.

unknownpro

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys,
not sure how the diagram looks, but i was so out of position on the '4' Ball that i had a very difficult, VERY thin cut into the side pocket. and an extremely difficult shot into the corner pocket.

i drew it back into what i refer to as "No-Mans Land" - and didnt have anything decent at all.

DCP

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
Guys,
not sure how the diagram looks, but i was so out of position on the '4' Ball that i had a very difficult, VERY thin cut into the side pocket. and an extremely difficult shot into the corner pocket.

i drew it back into what i refer to as "No-Mans Land" - and didnt have anything decent at all.

DCP

Sounds like you were perfectly set to play the shot the unknownpro recommended. Some draw with inside english (left in this case). It's a very useful shot that comes up often. I find you have to aim a bit thicker on the pot than what you'd expect.

The draw to perfect position is always tricky on this shot. For that reason a lot will play it as unknownpro recommended, or just draw back a few inches for the shot in the corner.

Where your CB is shown in the diagram (just short of straight), you have a good shot with follow and left english.

Colin

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Position B was not too bad a place to be. If you opponent had missed and left you that out, you (should) would be happier than a dog with 2 dix.

You just gotta stop looking for things that have gone less than perfect and make the best of what you get...

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Cat 5791 said:

CueTable Help

Hey DCP, what about this solution. I can draw back to B in your example with no problem but when I do I usually end up jawing the 3 ball because of too much juice on the draw. A follow shot would set you without too much juice. What do you think?

the shot on the '3' was perfectly straight in. therefore, a follow shot would have been extremely difficult, probably 10 times harder than drawing back like i tried to do.

DCP

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
Black Cat 5791 said:

CueTable Help

the shot on the '3' was perfectly straight in. therefore, a follow shot would have been extremely difficult, probably 10 times harder than drawing back like i tried to do.

DCP

Another option would be to stop the CB and shoot the 4 with a little low L, going into lower side rail and spinning it back down for 5.

This is a rotation game, right?:confused: