Thoughts on a great evening of carom play.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Lately I have been playing alot of 14.1 and 9 ball. I felt like I needed a break from it so I went to play straight rail billiards for only the second time in my life. The difference is I went with some knowledge that I have picked up by reading this forum and watching some youtube videos. At one time I scored 12 points in a row. I then shifted to 3 cushion and found it much more daunting than pool or straight rail. I found myself having to pound the hell out of the cue ball. I only scored twice out of many attempts. The game is very infectious; if I only had room in my garage to have pool and billiards. It occured to me that with the heavier cueball it took alot more force to execute shots which leads me to this question: do you need a heavier and stronger cue to play three cushion.

NaClBandit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think billiard shafts generally have a thicker taper for strength.

I'm no expert, but this was explained to me once:

The larger diameter of the balls allows you to apply much more english than with 2.25" pool balls. Therefore a lot of your speed can be english-driven.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mnorwood said:
... It occured to me that with the heavier cueball it took alot more force to execute shots which leads me to this question: do you need a heavier and stronger cue to play three cushion.
On the right equipment and with the right technique, you don't have to pound the ball. The table should have Simonis 300 or Granito M carom cloth. I use a Predator Z shaft on a 19-ounce cue and it is plenty heavy for carom.

It takes a long time to learn the "natural" shot patterns -- that is, the shots that go easily with little effort and automatically come close. Watch better players if you can. The USBA website (www.usbilliardassn.org) has a list of rooms with carom tables.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
The table I played on was a 10 foot brunswick that had been converted to a billiard table. The cloth was old and bushy. Thanks for the link cause I think I am hooked.