Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How do you repair a mushroomed tip?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
How do you repair a mushroomed tip?
Old
  (#1)
Delaware Lar
AzB Silver Member
Delaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

How do you repair a mushroomed tip? - 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM

Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.

Old
  (#2)
HawaiianEye
Banned
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 01:54 PM

With fewer than 3 or 4 exceptions, I've always repaired or replaced my tips by hand using the most basic of tools.

- Glue
- Tip
- Fingers
- Sand paper of a couple different grades (coarse, fine, etc.)
- A SHARP razor blade

I use an emery board to keep my tips in shape from time to time...BEFORE they mushroom out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_file

Aloha.

Old
  (#3)
HelloBaby-
AzB Silver Member
HelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond reputeHelloBaby- has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 01:54 PM

Just cut it down with a sharp knife

Old
  (#4)
vincentwu817
AzB Silver Member
vincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond reputevincentwu817 has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBaby- View Post
Just cut it down with a sharp knife
This. And sand to smooth it out as desired. Like one of the posters above I have done most of the tip work using basic cue tools, sandpaper and a razor blade.

Old
  (#5)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-25-2014, 02:48 PM

I'd drive the 40 miles, or you might be driving 40 miles to purchase a new shaft.

or, I had pretty good success with a Porper Big Shaver. I was tipping everything in sight, pretty much anything that would fit in there and everyone's pool cue, house cues at the bars we played at, the bartenders pencil...
The Big shaver was reasonably priced and seemed to work out real well

Old
  (#6)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 02:59 PM

The porper mushroom grazer works fine.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#7)
Delaware Lar
AzB Silver Member
Delaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Anybody else tried Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer? I herd that it can gouge the tip. I'd rather drive the 40 miles than use a razor blade.

Old
  (#8)
mark187
AzB Silver Member
mark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond reputemark187 has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 03:43 PM

I use the porper. It works okay, but I can see how a tip could get gauged. The best way to use it is to take off a very little bit at a time.

I've also used the ultimate tip tool. It's got a couple of bits of abrasive on the outside of the prongs. You need to be careful not to scratch your ferrule, but unless you're quite cack-handed you should be okay. The tool also burnishes the edge of the tip, as well as shaping and scuffing.

To get rid of mushrooms, I take the majority off with the porper, then fine tune and burnish with the tip tool.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Old
  (#9)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Lar View Post
Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.
Buy a Ki-Tech tip, drive 40 miles, never drive there again till tip wears out.

Yes it's a plug but I'm super impressed with those tips. Had a Soft for months, never had to touch it once.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#10)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Buy a Ki-Tech tip, drive 40 miles, never drive there again till tip wears out.

Yes it's a plug but I'm super impressed with those tips. Had a Soft for months, never had to touch it once.
This. Same experience.

Playing Cue: Jensen with Revo 12.4 Shaft
Break Cue: OB Rift

Old
  (#11)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 06:37 PM

Honestly, I use a coarse nail file (6 for $2.00).

Old
  (#12)
Balabushka_Man
AzB Silver Member
Balabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond reputeBalabushka_Man has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 06:51 PM

How I do it...

I take the mushroomed tip off & clean the area
with any simple tools that are available around...

I purchase a new tip I like from the net.
When received I glue the tip back on.
I hold the tip I glued tight with my finger.
I watch the Color Of Money waiting to dry.
I then wash my finger that has a tip dent.
When dry I file, sand to desired shape.
I then black the tip outside with sharpie.
I then don't break or jump with my player.

Actually ya may wanna get one of these
and make money at it locally...

http://youtu.be/oL1OLkClBAE

Last edited by Balabushka_Man; 07-25-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Old
  (#13)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Circumcision.

ETA: Oh wait, this isn't NPR. Never mind...

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#14)
stutz
did you call that?
stutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond reputestutz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

07-25-2014, 07:11 PM

with this

http://last4ever.net/Instructional_Videos.html

last video

Player: BHQ butterfly
Dust collecting player: Meucci HOF 1
Break: Pure X
Case: Sterling wave brown/tan 3x4 case
Tool: Last4Ever tip tool<<< love it

Old
  (#15)
captainjko
Kirk
captainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond reputecaptainjko has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Lar View Post
This is the best little tool to keep in case for such need...

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: