Lathe for sale in Florida Fort Myers area

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Macguy

What do you think a fair offer would be?

With the motor out, and it hasn't run in a long time.

Royce

You would have to check it out and look it over good. The motor is no big deal. I think maybe $800 or so would get a yes. The thing is and for someone looking, you don't see lathes this for sale very often. This may be second one I have seen in like a year and I look all the time. Most of what you see are WWII vintage lathes that are just scrap for ridiculous prices. I would probably buy it if I was closer.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That would be good to convert into a cnc tapering lathe, I think.
But, being in Florida, that sucker's gonna have a ton of rust for being idle .

RBC

Deceased
Macguy

I here what you're saying, but the reason you don't see too many of these for sale is that they just don't bring much money. They're usually in pretty bad shape by the time someone wants to sell them.

I'd be interested in it if I could get it cheap. I'd probably do something similar to what Joey's talking about. I'd put a good collet closer on it and build a big gang tool slide on top of the bed.

I'd have to have it here in Dallas for under $500. And I'd bet it would cost a couple of hundred to ship it here.

I'm sure it would make a good deal for somebody. The best be would be to put a 3 phase motor on it with a VFD. You won't find a normal reversible motor that would run on it without some crazy wiring.

Royce

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Macguy

I here what you're saying, but the reason you don't see too many of these for sale is that they just don't bring much money. They're usually in pretty bad shape by the time someone wants to sell them.

I'd be interested in it if I could get it cheap. I'd probably do something similar to what Joey's talking about. I'd put a good collet closer on it and build a big gang tool slide on top of the bed.

I'd have to have it here in Dallas for under $500. And I'd bet it would cost a couple of hundred to ship it here.

I'm sure it would make a good deal for somebody. The best be would be to put a 3 phase motor on it with a VFD. You won't find a normal reversible motor that would run on it without some crazy wiring.

Royce
Most of what you see are very old atlas or SB and they never have a hole through the head stock over 3/4". This lathe could actually be used for cue work. Also while viewing any of these lathes you need this music playing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqvweTYTI0

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/tls/5290870015.html

He said model G 4023 but I think it is G 4003 I think he got the number wrong when I spoke to him.
It says Best offer. After speaking to him I think a fair offer will get it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-36-Gear-Head-Cam-Lock-Spindle-Gap-Bed-Lathe/G4003

For that wish price, I don't think so. Maybe a mill shop will do him a favor for picking it up, at best. That must be one of the first grizzlies made, cause, it is only similar to the current 4003, which is what I use. I've made a couple of tool/adapters to cut my first cue, I'm at the very, very beginning of that project.

New and delivered for 3500.00 seems like a lot less headache.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For that wish price, I don't think so. Maybe a mill shop will do him a favor for picking it up, at best. That must be one of the first grizzlies made, cause, it is only similar to the current 4003, which is what I use. I've made a couple of tool/adapters to cut my first cue, I'm at the very, very beginning of that project.

New and delivered for 3500.00 seems like a lot less headache.

It depends on the person, I have 7 lathes and I would have no problem sticking that in the corner of my building and puttering with it making it a useable machine if the price was right.

I like messing with machines, I think a lot of guys do. To me messing with them is not more trouble then it is worth or a head ache, it's fun. I actually think it can be a problem for guys with shops. You can spend a lot of time fooling around building work benches or spray booths and so on because it is enjoyable.

I already have this coming weekend set aside to work on my truck. New back shocks, an oil change and tune up plus tinkering. In about 2 weeks I am going to paint it. To some it is more trouble then it is worth, you could not pay them to do it, I like it though. Like I said, it depends on the person.