Chalk on my shaft

rafiki121

Registered
Hi guys, this might be dumb but how do you prevent chalk from getting onto your shaft while playing? I just got my cue r360 and i realized with any no house cue shaft, chalk tends to get onto the shaft and when i shoot i feel it grainy against my bridge. Any ideas? Am i chalking wrong? I do the brush technique

Thank you.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys, this might be dumb but how do you prevent chalk from getting onto your shaft while playing? I just got my cue r360 and i realized with any no house cue shaft, chalk tends to get onto the shaft and when i shoot i feel it grainy against my bridge. Any ideas? Am i chalking wrong? I do the brush technique

Thank you.

Don't chalk with your cue upright. Wipe your cue down during play every now and again, and before you put it away. Wash your hands periodically while playing. Use a decent chalk.

You can seal your shaft with a shaft wax, but in the end you will always end up with som chalk on the shaft.

Good luck, and good shooting.

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you.

In addition to what pocket said.
Don't chalk with your bridge hand. But giving the shaft a good sealing will really help.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hold the cue as diagonally when you chalk - that way the chalk dust can fall off and not down your shaft.

Then:
Microfibre cloth to wipe the shaft down regularly (esp. after playing)
A good sealing with multiple layers of Renaissance wax after cleaning

Get a cheap glove (also Cuetec, for example - 4$), your hand and your shaft will thank you, too. Added bonus is consistency.

Cheers!

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
Don't know about you, but I tried chalking with my non bridge hand, just don't feel right. Something I'd have to get used too.

I use a magic erasure and a little bit of Atlis Slick to keep shaft in top playing form

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ Another recommendation for Q wiz here, I have been through everything and that is the best overall product to keep shafts smooth. It doesnt remove all the chalk but it makes it feel nice and smooth. Nick's Edge microfilms are great too, but they need a lot of attention with cleaning, using several grits etc. Q wiz is the cheap and easy way here, especially if you arent bothered by the looks of the shaft but the sticky feeling is what you dislike.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
chalk

I don't know if the 360 is laminated or has a resin over the wood or if its a normal maple shaft ?

Natural waxes, bees, paraffin and Carnauba .

Carnauba being the hardest and has the highest melting point.

Synthetic waxes ( pure polymer ) car waxes have a higher melting point then carnauba wax and the synthetic wax is harder then the natural waxes too.

Solid maple shafts
Clean the shaft with denatured Alcohol or rubbing alcohol .
Wet paper towel with alcohol and wipe the shaft down several times until you have the most chalk out of the shaft.

Because you don't have a lathe I don't suggest trying to seal the shaft.
If you do have a lathe then I use lighter fluid to seal the shaft .
lighter fluid contains paraffin wax and can be friction rubbed in .

Use ether Meguiars pure polymer synthetic car wax that can be bought at you local auto parts store that Stocks Meguiars products .

Or the order yourself a can of Renaissance micro crystalline wax polish .

You might want to read thru this thread .
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394833

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Chalk cloth

Don't know about you, but I tried chalking with my non bridge hand, just don't feel right. Something I'd have to get used too.

I use a magic erasure and a little bit of Atlis Slick to keep shaft in top playing form

Normally the tables cloth is loaded with chalk that has fallen off the cue's tip.
So it really makes little difference which hand you chalk with.

Keeping you hands has dry and clean is important .

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Thank you.

I would switch chalks. The premium chalks stick to the tip, it does not 'fall" to the shaft or your hands. Even stays on the tip much longer and thus less mess on the table and balls. There are a few good ones out there. And even some you don't need to chalk except once before the game. After that, it's just preference ;) Good Luck.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wipe down your cue and wipe the chalk completely off the tip before sliding the shaft into your case.

rafiki121

Registered
Thanks for all the suggestions. Whats a good chalk? I did research and it said that all chalks are mostly the same. I use the pool hall chalk masters (blue one) which i read is rated on the top. I don't have a lathe machine, should i bring it into a shop and have them seal it? I also just bought the Q wiz this morning. I guess i'll use that and a microderm cloth during the games to keep it semi chalk free.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. Whats a good chalk? I did research and it said that all chalks are mostly the same. I use the pool hall chalk masters (blue one) which i read is rated on the top. I don't have a lathe machine, should i bring it into a shop and have them seal it? I also just bought the Q wiz this morning. I guess i'll use that and a microderm cloth during the games to keep it semi chalk free.

ummmmm, not quite. Send me your address for a FREE cube of Russian Magic Chalk. You can thank me later :)

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wipe the shaft down every once in a while. It happens no matter how you chalk so just get into the habit of looking after the shaft rather than trying to delicately chalk the tip.

Its easier said than done. I haven't cleaned mine in about a year... And I use black chalk. Looks like I'm playing with a liquorice shaft.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
RJ's Chalk

The offer of RJ sending you some magic chalk you should really take him up on that.

Personally I would just buy a few cubes with the one he is going to give you and save yourself the hassle of ordering more.;)

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is inevitable to have chalk on your shaft, the best way to approach this issue is to reduce it as much as possible. Some habits that you can try is to chalk downwards and/or use brown chalk so it won't stand out as much.

I personally recommend Blue Diamond and Predator chalk. Good adhesion and little mess. I hate Master chalk, crap flakes everywhere and hardly holds chalk.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
There's nothing worse than feeling blue while playing pool.

PT, I beat you to that one....ha ha.

Jeff Livingston