BEF Jr Nationals results, a very successful trip for New England junior players

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This past week was my son's last year playing in the Junior Nationals, but he finished in his best spot ever, tied for 5th out of 64 18 and under boys, by far the toughest field there. His first loss was pretty hard to take, he was up 5-2 in a race to 7, then missed an 8 and two 9 balls to lose 7-6. He lost in the quarter finals to Ricky who was the favorite to win the tournament (although he played very badly and lost next match).

Not only did my son tie for 5th, but another under 18 U boy from N.E. also finished tied for 5th, two girls from N.E. won the 14 and 18 age brackets and a 14 and under boy finished tied for 5th. From about 150 kids, a single pool hall junior league has two 1st place finishers and two 5th place finishers with another kid from another N.E. home room tying for 5th as well.

The small girl in center of the picture is 8, has only been playing pool for one year and won two matches in the 14 U division.

Even though this was his last year in Juniors I am sure we will be back in Vegas to play in the USAPL and BCAPL nationals.

20626120_1552643841454195_822464653921328452_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1554940701224509

Last edited:

Nat Billrd Acad

Registered
The future of pool

It is only with lots of hard work and practice melded with good coaching and instruction that these young players made it as far as they did in such a tough field. Many congratulations to them from all of us at the National Billiard Academy. These are the players that we all desire to see more of as they really are the future of our sport!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for sharing your appreciation as well as the great success for those involved at this year's Jr. Nationals! Very nice finish for all it looks like. What a great experience they get to partake in. We're all looking forward to helping again next year in any way we can with the program. Great work, guys!!

~ K.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is your son ?
We need to know haha

Left side in the pink shirt.

Girl in blue with long hair is the winner in 18U girls, the girl in blue one away
from her won the 14U. Boy second from the right finished in quarter finals of 14U.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Thank you all for sharing your appreciation as well as the great success for those involved at this year's Jr. Nationals! Very nice finish for all it looks like. What a great experience they get to partake in. We're all looking forward to helping again next year in any way we can with the program. Great work, guys!!

~ K.
K, did Texas youth have an opportunity to qualify at a TX tournament ? Congratulations to N.E.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drexelines finest Thomas Haas finished 3rd and qualified for Moscow and absolutely intends on going. Thomas is a great pool player and at 15/16 he's only been playing a year or two which is almost more amazing than anything. On top of his galant he's respectful and very humble and that's rare for young pool champs.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This past week was my son's last year playing in the Junior Nationals, but he finished in his best spot ever, tied for 5th out of 64 18 and under boys, by far the toughest field there. His first loss was pretty hard to take, he was up 5-2 in a race to 7, then missed an 8 and two 9 balls to lose 7-6. He lost in the quarter finals to Ricky who was the favorite to win the tournament (although he played very badly and lost next match).

Not only did my son tie for 5th, but another under 18 U boy from N.E. also finished tied for 5th, two girls from N.E. won the 14 and 18 age brackets and a 14 and under boy finished tied for 5th. From about 150 kids, a single pool hall junior league has two 1st place finishers and two 5th place finishers with another kid from another N.E. home room tying for 5th as well.

The small girl in center of the picture is 8, has only been playing pool for one year and won two matches in the 14 U division.

Even though this was his last year in Juniors I am sure we will be back in Vegas to play in the USAPL and BCAPL nationals.

20626120_1552643841454195_822464653921328452_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1554940701224509

Do Michelle and Alex get to play each other much? Seems they probably should...

KMRUNOUT

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drexelines finest Thomas Haas finished 3rd and qualified for Moscow and absolutely intends on going. Thomas is a great pool player and at 15/16 he's only been playing a year or two which is almost more amazing than anything. On top of his galant he's respectful and very humble and that's rare for young pool champs.

He will need a way better car than a galant if he is gonna be a pool player.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
K, did Texas youth have an opportunity to qualify at a TX tournament ? Congratulations to N.E.

The official BEF backed qualifiers are pretty new, http://billiardeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BEF-Jr-State-Championships-_hosts_.pdf

There is no data for the 2017 state events, but in 2016 TX did have qualifiers

http://billiardeducation.org/2016-bef-junior-state-champs/

I think Lazaro Martinez is from TX, at least he qualified in 2015 in TX, and I know he was there playing this year and tied for 8th-16th spot.

The N.E. area has been holding the MA state championship for quite a few years well before the BEF official program was put in place, and a few years ago expanded to hold Jr state championships in NH and CT as well. RI has not had a pool room that wanted to hold the event there without a lot of strings attached so there has only been one RI championship in all the years.

Last edited: