pool table lighting

robeyeshua

Registered
ok cut to the chase , please. in @5 months i will be putting a brand new diamond table in my newly built house. i can not afford diamond's light. what do i need. i know the three shade lights are crummy. help ! i really need a link to a site or specifics - phone numbers, etc. please help me make the right decision. i am much more concerned about good lighting than how it looks

J

jkurjan

I think you can solve your lighting problem inexpensively if you are not overly concerned with the light design. Assuming you have a 9 foot Diamond table...I recommend you go to a hardware store and pick up a fourescent light set (8foot tubes) with a basic cover for them. Get some link chain connectors so that you can adjust the height properly so as to avoid shadows on the table. There are many varieties of fourescents so that you can get the brightness you prefer.

The tubes, cover and lighting carriage should not cost over $100 (my setup cost $80) with everything thrown in.

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Lighting

robeyeshua said:
ok cut to the chase , please. in @5 months i will be putting a brand new diamond table in my newly built house. i can not afford diamond's light. what do i need. i know the three shade lights are crummy. help ! i really need a link to a site or specifics - phone numbers, etc. please help me make the right decision. i am much more concerned about good lighting than how it looks

I have a new Diamond Professional in my rec room. Above the table I have the matching Diamond light fixture and it provides perfect lighting without shadows.

My question for you is, why would you pay in excess of $4,000.00 for a magnificent table and then go on the cheap for a light fixture? I think you will find the Diamond fixture a good investment. One thing is for certain, the Diamond table is the best on the market and I have owned Brunswick, Olhausen and Valley in the past. None compare to the true roll of a Diamond Professional.

Cross Side Larry

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Just curious ...

CrossSideLarry said:
I have a new Diamond Professional in my rec room. Above the table I have the matching Diamond light fixture and it provides perfect lighting without shadows.

My question for you is, why would you pay in excess of $4,000.00 for a magnificent table and then go on the cheap for a light fixture? I think you will find the Diamond fixture a good investment. One thing is for certain, the Diamond table is the best on the market and I have owned Brunswick, Olhausen and Valley in the past. None compare to the true roll of a Diamond Professional.

Cross Side Larry

CSL ... A lot of buzz lately about the Diamond Tables. Is it because they
came out with new models a while back which are improved in quality, or have they always been that good? Just curious ...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CrossSideLarry said:
why would you pay in excess of $4,000.00 for a magnificent table and then go on the cheap for a light fixture?

Cross Side Larry

Probably coz he spent 4k for a table and now needs to go cheap on the light fixture. He can always replace the cheapie later, ya know.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RAM lighting

For my table, i ordered a new light setup from RAM in Canada. They advestise in all the magazines. It was MUCH more expensive than just getting florescent lights at Home Depot, but if design isn't a factor Home Depot is surely the way to go. My table is an Olhausen that cost over 6k. Design was important to me because the table is the main piece of furniture in the den and I couldn't spend thousands on a table and then just hang garage lights over it. My girlfriend would have killed me. Try the flourescent lights and then change em if you want later. I wish I could figure out how to upload pics onto this stupid computer. lol It's good to hear that your planning early. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

SPetty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that the Diamond light would be a good investment.

I, too, have a Diamond Professional and above the table I have the matching Diamond light fixture and it provides perfect lighting without shadows. I wouldn't go any other way unless I had the time to make a copy of it myself. "They" say the important part is the shiny square-full plastic thingee between the light bulbs and the table. (Sorry, can't remember this morning what it's called...)

(You can see a picture of my table and light in the October issue of Billiards Digest magazine!)

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Table Light

Like previous posters I have the Diamond light but what also worked well for me prior to getting a Diamond table was two inline drop ceiling lights which have 4x4 ft lights in each. Worked great.

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
robeyeshua said:

Just use regular room ceiling lighting, then you won't be disappointed in the lighting when you get to the TV table. They never have a pool table light above that one. I went ahead and got a light cause I knew I didn't have to worry about this.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
CSL ... A lot of buzz lately about the Diamond Tables. Is it because they
came out with new models a while back which are improved in quality, or have they always been that good? Just curious ...

They have always been that good. I own a GC1 with shimmed pockets and would never get rid of it, but if I were to replace it, it would be with a Diamond Pro Cut. If you play well on a Diamond, you can adjust very easily to any other table, but not vice versa.

Barbara

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jkurjan said:
I think you can solve your lighting problem inexpensively if you are not overly concerned with the light design. Assuming you have a 9 foot Diamond table...I recommend you go to a hardware store and pick up a fourescent light set (8foot tubes) with a basic cover for them. Get some link chain connectors so that you can adjust the height properly so as to avoid shadows on the table. There are many varieties of fourescents so that you can get the brightness you prefer.

The tubes, cover and lighting carriage should not cost over $100 (my setup cost $80) with everything thrown in.

You can get a setup like this for under $20 at a hardware store. I would recommend the 3 or 4 shade lighting. Every friday I play on diamond bar boxes. 2 with diamond lights and 4 other ones with the 3 shade lighting. The 3 shades seem to have much better contrast. The diamond lights provide way too much light and take a while to get used to.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
I bought a three shade light off eBay for less than 100 delivered, then paid a professional electrician 150 to hang it...works GREAT! Green shades and pretty much centered over the table. I had vaulted ceilings so it was a bear to hang.

I want to ask...what bulbs do you guys recommend for this? Mine seem to make my table area WARM. I mean I don't think I am using a high wattage bulb, but I am unsure. Any thoughts or suggestions? Globe or regular bulbs? 25 or 40 watt? Maybe higher?

Shorty

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
robeyeshua said:

If you are handi at all, you can make a complete light fixture for about $90.

BUT, THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO.

Put some small fans inside the lighting fixure behind the lights. Quiet fans. I would do this to find out if using the heat from the lights might help keep the felt dryer fighting humidity.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
CrossSideLarry said:

The guy said he was buying the table in 5 months, but that was in late MARCH 2003 ! So you are a few years late in relying to this very very old thread ! Some others seem to think it's current though, I guess they are pretty easy to fool ;)

Dave

Last edited:

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
DaveK said:
The guy said he was buying the table in 5 months, but that was in late MARCH 2003 ! So you are a few years late in relying to this very very old thread ! Some others seem to think it's current though, I guess they are pretty easy to fool ;)

Dave

Good catch Dave. I think the 2nd poster should have started a new thread. In any event it's now active and he can still get his question answered.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
pete lafond said:
Good catch Dave. I think the 2nd poster should have started a new thread. In any event it's now active and he can still get his question answered.

Cross-eyed Larry asked the original poster a question ... but the original (2003) poster hasn't been online since early August !

Dave