Blast from the past.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I was going through some old photos tonight and came across this. Looking at the date stamp on it I had been in Japan for a month and a half at that point. Jesus, where did the time go? That's my old no points Meucci that I bought at Beechmont Billiards in Cincinnati for $199.00. My old David Fulcher jersey too. That pool room is a 7-11 now.
MULLY
23 years old in that photo

poolus8.jpg

Last edited:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Oh yeah, man. To this day I am a die hard Bengals fan. I know they haven't done shit since 1988 but I stick with them through thick and thin and I always have hope. This year is going to be the one.
MULLY
I say that every year though

jerseysuv9.jpg

sde

Silver Member
mullyman said:
I was going through some old photos tonight and came across this. Looking at the date stamp on it I had been in Japan for a month and a half at that point. Jesus, where did the time go? That's my old no points Meucci that I bought at Beechmont Billiards in Cincinnati for $199.00. My old David Fulcher jersey too. That pool room is a 7-11 now.
MULLY
23 years old in that photo

poolus8.jpg

I did a little work on your photo. What do you think?

Steve

Clip11.jpg

sde

Silver Member
mullyman said:
Nice. Thanks for that.
MULLY
I probably missed that shot

No problem. Hey, it was taken on my B-day (42nd).

I was also wondering if you made the shot.:p :D :)

Steve

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
sde said:
No problem. Hey, it was taken on my B-day (42nd).

I was also wondering if you made the shot.:p :D :)

Steve

I'll be totally honest here. I feel that I play fairly well. I'm not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but I am in the SA class over here, which is between A and Pro, I've got numerous tournament wins, I was the captain of my prefecture's team 3 times in the All-Japan tournament, I've got trophies to back everything up, and I was ranked number one in my prefecture in 1997, 98, and 99. I took about 5 years off recently and have not returned to true form but I can still play well enough to enjoy myself. With that said, one of my weakest points in this game is when I raise my cue up like that. I personally feel I'm favored to miss the shot when I raise the butt of my cue up. If anyone has any tips in that area please, I welcome them.
MULLY
Seriously, I probably missed that shot:D :(

......and happy belated 42nd birthday

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
serious suggestion

mullyman said:
I personally feel I'm favored to miss the shot when I raise the butt of my cue up. If anyone has any tips in that area please, I welcome them.
MULLY

Make sure you aren't jacking up more than you need to. Set up to miss the rail a quarter inch or less. Another option is instead of jacking up different heights every time settle on three different angles for most jacked up shots and practice shooting at those angles. Also always consider if there is a reasonable path to shoot the shot with follow instead of jacking up as much.

Just a few thoughts. Great picture by the way. Time flies!

Hu

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shed a tear everytime I hear the name "beechmont billiards" It was bulldozed about 3 years ago and replaced with a Starbucks.

Did you spend much time in Cincinnati?

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Born and raised there. Left when I was 23. Been over here ever since. I just heard from Dicky Neighbors the other day that Beechmont is a Starbucks now. Saddens me to no end. That place was my first real pool hall.
MULLY

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Born and raised there. Left when I was 23. Been over here ever since. I just heard from Dicky Neighbors the other day that Beechmont is a Starbucks now. Saddens me to no end. That place was my first real pool hall.
MULLY

sheesh... I helped Sherm with some of the paneling when he was still trying to get the hall opened... early 90s.

I played in some of the Saturday tournaments with the Carelli brothers, Balkamino, Sherm, Grant Hamilton, Ralph Black, Thorny, Bucky Bell, Gary Speath, Rick Garrison, Joe Brown, Jason Miller and some of the Kentucky boys like John Brumbeck.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Tom in Cincy,

I remember playing against but mostly watching ALL of the players that you mentioned above. I did not even know that Beechmont was closed down. Where does time go? I don't get out much these day's and when I do, I try to stay a little more local.

I did enjoy BB many years back also. It had quite a bit of action!

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Tom, I think it's almost impossible that we did not meet back then. I was always there and I was always around the crowd of people that you mention. Balc used to always come in in his running suits. Before I came over here he told me he knew someone that could make knock off Bushkas and wanted to know if I was interested in trying to get rid of them over here.

And Beechmont opened in the late 80's, Tom. I was already over here in February of 91 and had been playing at Beechmont for a good 2 years before coming here.

God, remember that cafe they had in the back? That lady used to sit back there and make all kinds of good stuff and it was as cheap as could be. No way they could afford to keep that up. I really missed it when they closed that down and made the bar. Her hot ham and cheese sandwiches ruled!
MULLY

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
mullyman said:
I'll be totally honest here. I feel that I play fairly well. I'm not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but I am in the SA class over here, which is between A and Pro, I've got numerous tournament wins, I was the captain of my prefecture's team 3 times in the All-Japan tournament, I've got trophies to back everything up, and I was ranked number one in my prefecture in 1997, 98, and 99. I took about 5 years off recently and have not returned to true form but I can still play well enough to enjoy myself. With that said, one of my weakest points in this game is when I raise my cue up like that. I personally feel I'm favored to miss the shot when I raise the butt of my cue up. If anyone has any tips in that area please, I welcome them.MULLY

Move your BUTT hand closer to the joint when forced to use a shorter than normal bridge.