$1,300/Hr I should have been a pool table mover

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
You did this to replace flooring??

There's a way around things... Egyptians built pyramids on man power alone.

Yeah..but they used slaves. Definitely not slave labor in this case.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you at least get chocolates and flowers after? A good-morning text? Maybe a FB friend request?

I have an update! I got home to a perfectly leveled Diamond Pro-AM. Now, when you roll a ball on my floor it looks like it has a gyroscope in it. I looked at the levelers under the legs and WOW, did they need to adjust that bad boy. Had I tried to do it myself the table would have been F'ed. The two leveling feet (I am probably not using precise lingo) under the legs on the ball return side are quite exposed. The two near the head string are much shorter. And it plays just as perfect as it did. All in all, maybe a $200 sir charge for lack of competition. Its all good baby Decent doesn't mind spreading a little love around the industry.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A customer doesn't pay anyone for what they did last week, month, year etc...

Example:

You need a plumber. You call and ask how munch they charge, knowing that most plumbing companies charge $90 an hour for two men in your area. Well, they say that it will cost you $200 an hour just because the plumber thats available has more experience.

Lol....I know what most would say to em.....what would you say?

Jeff

You pay for what you are unable or unwilling to do yourself.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you are happy and 6 months from now that 650 won't matter and your table will still be bringing lots of fun. :)

I have bought and sold tables, moved houses 3 or 4 times, put down tile only to have the wife decide on carpet, etc., etc. It never even crossed my mind to hire someone. A few buddies, youtube, and beer- most of the world's problems can be solved.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes!!!!!

That was my point.

A plumber with 40 years experience cant clear the "average" sewer line any faster than a plumber with 6 months experience.

Sure, there are exceptions. Say a plumber with little experience is call out to clear a sewer and after a couple hours of attempts he doesn't find anything wrong other than the lines wont drain.......well, until a plumber is experienced enough to spot it, they wont be able to figure out it a city issue and will end up leaving an unsatisfied customer.

Pool table guys are the same way.

Most jobs don't need a ton of experience but, ever now and then....yep.

I still say 600+ $$$ for moving a table 11 feet is ridiculous.

IMO, the OP got hosed by a couple hundred or so.

Jeff

You are bring too literal.
I'm saying you pay for the person's expertise. Not the 29 minutee it took to resolve a problem you couldn't solve without his experience.

In this instance Decentshot could of come here and people could have told him other ways to get this done.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you didn’t have a nearby room in your house on the same floor you could have stored your table at, as opposed to outside? It takes a very unique cart to safely move a 1-piece slate oversized 8-foot Diamond table, without damaging it, and they are likely the only ones that could have done this for you, so it’s not likely you were in a position to negeotiate price with them. Regarding the price quote, you’ve got to consider the 2 separate trips and how far they had to travel

Can always take the top off. Then get slate off seperately on its side with 4 guys. Move it seperately. We used a paiir of the furniture webbing strap lift vests and moved a 9 foot diamond like this into a covered trailer with a ramp gate.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
11 feet, or 11 miles, makes no difference, moving is moving.

Always laugh when I hear somebody say "I'm only moving 2 blocks away" who gives a shit once everything is in the truck.

Legs off, move, move, legs on, re-level. The move part is most likely the easiest part of this(unless stairs are involved)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have an update! I got home to a perfectly leveled Diamond Pro-AM. Now, when you roll a ball on my floor it looks like it has a gyroscope in it. I looked at the levelers under the legs and WOW, did they need to adjust that bad boy. Had I tried to do it myself the table would have been F'ed. The two leveling feet (I am probably not using precise lingo) under the legs on the ball return side are quite exposed. The two near the head string are much shorter. And it plays just as perfect as it did. All in all, maybe a $200 sir charge for lack of competition. Its all good baby Decent doesn't mind spreading a little love around the industry.

Yeah BUDDY!!! This is the outcome you should get for your money! Happy to hear you are satisfied. The diamond cart is the safest way for everything involved. Enjoy your table and new floor!

Trent from Toledo

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
11 feet, or 11 miles, makes no difference, moving is moving.

Always laugh when I hear somebody say "I'm only moving 2 blocks away" who gives a shit once everything is in the truck.

Legs off, move, move, legs on, re-level. The move part is most likely the easiest part of this(unless stairs are involved)

2 blocks or 11 miles makes no difference. 11 FEET and 11 miles? Big ass difference.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
2 blocks or 11 miles makes no difference. 11 FEET and 11 miles? Big ass difference.

Really no difference at all.

Still had to do everything that would be required to move 11 miles.

Oh, I'm sorry, they didnt have to strap it down in a truck and drive 11 miles, literally the part that makes no difference whatsoever.

Plus they had to drive to your house and back to the shop twice, so really, they did do the driving part.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I paid 6 or $800(cant rember) to have my table taken apart, moved down stairs and into a storage unit.

Not even set up again - seemed like a bargain.

2,700lb 10' table, 3 piece slate.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So here's the way we did it in my last house. We used two floor jacks to raise the table legs a few inches off the ground and I had two guys (one at each end) keeping it balanced while me and a buddy wheeled it over about six feet, and then flooring was laid down in half of the room. Then we wheeled the table over onto the new flooring the next day and completed the flooring in the other half of the room. After we were done the table was put back in place and re-leveled. I called in a pro to do that job. He came out to my house and spent an hour getting it zeroed in perfectly. He charged me $75 and I gave him a $25 tip for doing such a good job. That was my total cost to move a 9' table to put in new flooring. Nothing was ever dismantled.

All three guys were friends of mine who played pool at my house frequently. I bought lunch for all of us after we finished the job on day two. It probably took us less than an hour to move the table each time (more like 30 minutes).
That is a good option if you are getting carpet or laminate flooring. You wouldn't be able to do this with tile or other floor coverings that use an adhesive.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid 6 or $800(cant rember) to have my table taken apart, moved down stairs and into a storage unit.

Not even set up again - seemed like a bargain.

2,700lb 10' table, 3 piece slate.

Right, I mean, now that I see what they did, I think the price is kinda fair. I think there is a mindset within the "Diamond club" that its like getting your oil changed on a Mercedes its like $400. Its just what does along with the cost of ownership (which is why I only drive Caddies.Anybody can work on GM cars.)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Right, I mean, now that I see what they did, I think the price is kinda fair. I think there is a mindset within the "Diamond club" that its like getting your oil changed on a Mercedes its like $400. Its just what does along with the cost of ownership (which is why I only drive Caddies.Anybody can work on GM cars.)

Enjoy that table!

Mine's been in storage for over 4 years - could have given it away and been half way to paying for a Diamond 10' by now with storage fees.