1 shaft 2 butts

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Anybody do this? I have a 314-2 I really like that I use on my cue with a leather wrap. I was thinking I want to try shooting with a wrapless cue but I dont want to spend another $250 for a new shaft in addition to the cost of the cue. That and sticking with the same shaft would mean zero adjustment needed. The hard part for me is finding the right wrapless cue with the exact joint configuration. I'd like to hear the board's experience on the matter. Thanks.

Sounds a lot better than 2 shafts 1 butt don't it? Lol.

semoquer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every 314 feels the same to me. Maybe its a mental thing but I don't need to adjust when I switch between them. I have one in the pool room and one in my trunk. I also have a custom with two maple shafts. Now those shafts I can tell the difference between. I prefer one to the other but still keep the other for a backup..

Maybe its the way predators are produced or maybe I'm just really lucky in getting two identical feeling shafts lol.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
When I bought my Predator I took the time to weigh a bunch of 314-2's. From about a dozen they weighed anywhere from 3.65 to 4.1 ounces. So I was thinking they couldn't possibly all feel exactly the same. But maybe close enough to not have to adjust much, who knows. Either way it's really a non-issue with me. I don't have to keep cues in different places and just want to keep the same shaft and save money that way.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 butts that I interchange with 1 shaft depends on the game the size table and the conditions

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It would be an interesting way to collect cues, less to worry about, less expensive.
You could have like 150-butts and one shaft.
For instance I have tons of extra butt j/p's, and not enough shaft j/p's.
This would solve that problem, and save me from collecting more and more unnecessary joint protectors.
Also, buying a lot of extra shafts is all fun & games until you have to store the ****ing things.
I like the idea, and I may start to lean in that direction.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Almost 2-butts, 1-shaft.

I have played with a McDermott RS1 for years. When I broke the original shaft, I replaced it with a 314/2. I recently ordered a McDermott G226 with the same 3/8 -10 joint so I can use the Predator shaft in both. The G226 comes with a g-core shaft and I ordered another maple shaft for back up. So I really have 3-shafts and 2-butts, but my intent was for 2-butts and 1 - predator shaft for use in both.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
What happens when your tip snaps off? Then you have nothing to fall back on. I personally have 3 shafts for my player that i keep in the case. Better safe than sorry. 1 butt with multiple shafts is the way to go

I understand the value of having a back up but I really don't get to play that much to worry about the tip popping off. In almost 20 years playing I've had a tip come off once maybe twice.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happens when your tip snaps off? Then you have nothing to fall back on. I personally have 3 shafts for my player that i keep in the case. Better safe than sorry. 1 butt with multiple shafts is the way to go

I have about 8 shafts...and agree with the s-bob-freek 100%.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand the value of having a back up but I really don't get to play that much to worry about the tip popping off. In almost 20 years playing I've had a tip come off once maybe twice.

What if you have to smash it?

Don't give me that 20yr line again...that just means you are well overdue a shaft-disaster of some sort!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anybody do this?

The last Schuler I had made, I only ordered the butt. I already have 7 or 8 Schuler shafts, all are interchangeable. Two are my main playing shafts... so, I ordered just a butt. I don't know if this is common or was a special for me.

Freddie <~~~ special cuz my mommy saz so

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
What if you have to smash it?

Don't give me that 20yr line again...that just means you are well overdue a shaft-disaster of some sort!

Ok. I'll pop it off soon as i get home then i should be good for another 20 years if I live that long.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not? Save yourself some money in the short term.

If you ever want to buy a matching 314 for your new butt, they will always be available. It's not like you're looking at a custom cuemaker who might retire tomorrow and then you would be SOL.

Luther Blissett

on the clapham omnibus
Silver Member
Why not? Save yourself some money in the short term.

If you ever want to buy a matching 314 for your new butt, they will always be available. It's not like you're looking at a custom cuemaker who might retire tomorrow and then you would be SOL.

This seems like eminently sensible commentary.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Joint configuration??

I don't know what you meant by "joint
configuration" but here is what I did.

Some years back after I got used to 314
shafts I decided to use the the 314 with a
silver ring as decoration. Ever since then I
order custom cues with a black joint and
silver ring. My 314s switch between all of
the butts I'm interested in playing with.

They joint decoration does not match perfectly
but the cues play fine and the decorations are
close enough for me.