10 Ball Ghost

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys play the 10 ball ghost at all?

Amazing how much trouble one extra ball can cause. I might do a race to 11 and post it. It will be a much better match than 9 ball ghost.

Thoughts?

Gerry

Here is a quick race to 3 - not much time, will try to get to 9 or 11 tonight (tough game)

http://youtu.be/cNDbb_xRLzE

A few racks…soft break :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-a8_EmTn00&feature=youtu.be

Race to 11 (last game cut off as memory card was full - Pro One saved my bacon on several racks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6RDluqUf4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've run racks of 10ball before. I've actually run a few racks of 15ball before as well.

But in an actual race (7 or more), I've only beat the 7ball ghost.

Looking forward to your video.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It is much tougher.

Besides the extra ball to start with in the rack, it is harder to make a ball or two on the break, thus you are looking at running 10 balls most of the time.

In 9 ball you can make at least one ball or two balls easy on the break. Thus you are running out 7-8 balls in your pattern.

That makes a world of difference in difficulty too.

nevermiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice against it sometimes. This seems obvious, but my percentages go way up when I am making a ball or two one the break consistently. The break is critical for me to beat the ghost or stay close. Also, I allow short racks, i.e. caroms and combo's on the 10 to count as a win. I watched the Efren video for a bit. He was soft breaking and did not even try to make a ball, and didn't. It looked like he was more concerned with leaving an open table free of clusters. The 10 ball blocked a corner pocket a few times making life more difficult if you can't combo for the win but the balls were all out in the open. I will try that next time I practice.

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15%

I can't remember who it was, but on one of the many AccuStats matches in my collection, one commentator said that 10Ball is 15% more difficult than 9 ball. I want to say it was Danny D, but not sure...

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would estimate slightly more as well, maybe 20%. And that's because of the extra ball as well as the higher break difficulty and the consequence of not making as many balls consistently, thus leaving additional clutter or clusters etc.

I haven't really practiced much with the 10-ball Ghost, or really all that much with the 9-ball Ghost lately, something I need to get back to. But I've beaten the 9-ball Ghost enough that I can do it fairly consistently in a race to 7 or 9, but to beat the 10-ball Ghost in a long race would take one of my best days I think, and to beat it consistently (more than 50% of the time) would require another level.

Scott

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Updated with a few racks - the soft break is the best way to get the best spread I find. When I hit them hard things come back together :)

Race to 11 tonight I hope.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Do you guys play the 10 ball ghost at all?

Amazing how much trouble one extra ball can cause. I might do a race to 11 and post it. It will be a much better match than 9 ball ghost.

Thoughts?

Gerry

Here is a quick race to 3 - not much time, will try to get to 9 or 11 tonight (tough game)

http://youtu.be/cNDbb_xRLzE

A few racks…soft break :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-a8_EmTn00&feature=youtu.be

Same for me to,I think part of it may be the break.
It is surely harder then the 9ball ghost.

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Updated with a few racks - the soft break is the best way to get the best spread I find. When I hit them hard things come back together :)

Race to 11 tonight I hope.

Gerry, I have been enjoying all your videos.. have yet to watch the 10 ball... are you spotting early 10s and continuing or counting them as w's?

thanks for sharing..

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 10 goes early I leave it down but finish the rack. I have wall issues in my current basement but moving in 10 days which will solve that problem :)

Cheers,
Gerry

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 10 goes early I leave it down but finish the rack. I have wall issues in my current basement but moving in 10 days which will solve that problem :)

Cheers,
Gerry

thanks for the reply.. the reason I asked is that I can beat the 9 ball ghost counting early wins but it gets much harder if I spot and continue... crazy how much difference those 1, 2, maybe 3 games make in a race to 21... (and the ghost is favorite regardless but much more so with the money last rule... for me)....

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
There have been many times I've beaten the nine ball ghost 3x in a row on a easy table and thought I could take on the 10 ball ghost.

I almost always got smashed. It took me dozens of tries to finally beat it in a race to 10 and to be honest, it was mainly because I was breaking better than usual.

Far fewer balls made on the break, and more clusters and traffic. It makes a huge difference to a guy like me who can play well, but is nowhere near even shortstop speed.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally played the race to 11 - break was working well so this was a good one for me. The last game was cut short as my SD card was full and I never noticed :(