10-ball tourney: a few questions

Blackball75

Blackball75
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

So I signed up yesterday for a 10-ball tourney going on in my city over this Friday and weekend. It's on 7ft bar tables.

I can't believe it, my first ever competitive tournament, and for money too. My first aim is to try to recoup the $80 I paid for entry. Top prize is $1400 from a pool of 80 players.

Despite being very interested in this pool variant, the only ten-ball I've ever played against a human opponent (as opposed to a silicon one) was against my father last evening on his 9ft table. I enjoyed it alot, and based on the small amount of nine-ball I've played, I found it more interesting.

There are just a few things about the rules I'm not 100% on. Can anyone clarify?

1) you must hit the 1-ball on the break? If you fail to do so, how does play proceed?
2) pocketing the 10-ball on the break does NOT win the game?
3) all pocketed balls stay down, except the 10-ball, which is respotted on the foot spot. If this spot is occupied, where does the 10-ball go?
4) balls and pockets must be called, and if you pocket the nominated ball or other balls in a different pocket, play passes to your opponent. However it is not a foul?
5) 3 consecutive fouls (of any kind?) means loss of rack?
6) can someone explain what is meant by a "pushout"?

Finally, the tournament will have "Texas Express rules". How does this change the rules, especially with regard to the 6 questions above?

Thanks! :)
 
Last edited:
People feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I know they will anyway :p)
BCAPL 10-ball rules:
1) It's just a foul, opponent gets BIH anywhere on the table.
2) 10-ball on the break is a win (unless clearly stated otherwise... which a lot of tournaments do).
3) Same spotting rules apply to all games, unless I'm mistaken. Ball is placed directly on the foot spot, or if the spot is occupied on a line directly behind the foot spot (as close to any interfering ball(s) as possible)
4) Correct, not a foul. 10-ball is not by default a call-pocket game but most tournaments add this rule.
5) Yep, 3 successive fouls (of any kind) in one game is loss of game.
6) Push-out means this:
If there was no foul on the break, the player taking the first shot after the break has the option to shoot a push-out. On a push-out:
a. you must notify your opponent before the shot and your opponent must acknowledge your intention;
b. the cue ball does not have to contact the lowest numbered ball first, or any object ball at all;
c. no ball has to contact a cushion
d. all other rules and fouls still apply.
2. Any object balls except the 10-ball that are pocketed on a push-out remain pocketed. If the 10-ball is pocketed it is spotted.
3. After a push-out, your opponent may:
a. accept the table in position and shoot, or;
b. require you to shoot again with the table in position.

Texas express just means that balls pocketed on a foul shot, pocketed out of order, or jumped off the table stay down/off except the game winning ball (10-ball). Also, it means there's only 1 push-out per game (after the break).

Meant to speed things up. Might be more rules to texas express but I'm not sure.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Hierovision! That clears up a lot of things.

Just a couple of things about pushouts:

1) Isn't there a flaw in this system which may work against you? If you play a pushout and snooker your opponent on the lowest numbered ball, he can ask you to play again, and then you have snookered yourself?!

2) So on a pushout, you can pocket any ball on the table (including the 10, which is respotted) and you may then continue shooting. However, you must now hit the lowest-numbered ball only?
 
The push-out ALWAYS goes to the opponent, no matter if a ball was pocketed or not. He/she has the option of taking the table as-is or handing it back to you as-is.
 
With regard to the 10 ball on the break, I would advise just getting clarification at the tournament. I've seen it handled different ways at different events. The standard rules are that it doesn't count and gets spotted. But I've seen tournaments where the 10 Ball on the break counts as long as it does not go in one of the two foot corners.
 
Thanks again, Hiero. I think I'm getting the idea now.

Another query:

We covered what happens if you pocket the 10-ball on the break. But if at any other time than the break and the pushout, you pocket the 10-ball while at the same time committing a foul, is the 10-ball respotted and your opponent has BIH? Or do you lose the game?
 
Thanks again, Hiero. I think I'm getting the idea now.

Another query:

We covered what happens if you pocket the 10-ball on the break. But if at any other time than the break and the pushout, you pocket the 10-ball while at the same time committing a foul, is the 10-ball respotted and your opponent has BIH? Or do you lose the game?

No loss of game unless you were already on 2 fouls at the time. The 10 gets spotted, your opponent gets BIH, and you get to sit down.
 
10 ball rules

Another great rule that many people employ is that when a ball is called in a pocket and either that ball or another ball go into another pocket the incoming player has the option of shooting from where the ball lies or giving it back. This does not result in BIH, only shooting fouls like not hitting the lowest numbered ball to the rail do. This rule prevents the opponent from being punished by your "missing good" and sticking them behind a ball accidentally.

Also with called shots you can still combo in the money ball (10 ball), but it will be the called ball. If something else goes in instead, loss of turn. This takes away some of the beauty of 2 way shots. Where you try to make a ball plus shoot in another by caroming the cueball.

Shooters have to call safe in order to play one. Three fouls just like nine ball is loss of game, but not pocketing a ball or pocketing in a non-called hole is not a foul.

As others have said many variations, but the rule in paragraph #1 is one of the best. We've all lost so many times to lucky rolls, this eliminates alot of them.

When I gamble 10 ball is my preference for these reasons. Most tournaments around my area are 9 ball still.
 
No loss of game unless you were already on 2 fouls at the time. The 10 gets spotted, your opponent gets BIH, and you get to sit down.

Thanks. I assume if you scratch off the ten-ball but do not pocket it, your opponent gets BIH?

Also, if you scratch on the break, does your opponent have to shoot out of the kitchen, or can he shoot anywhere on the table?
 
Thanks. I assume if you scratch off the ten-ball but do not pocket it, your opponent gets BIH?

If you scratch, your opponent gets ball in hand whether you pocketed the 10 or not.

Also, if you scratch on the break, does your opponent have to shoot out of the kitchen, or can he shoot anywhere on the table?

BIH anywhere on the table

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Update:

Tourney was awesome, I really enjoyed it. Based on what I've played of 10-ball and 9-ball (which admittedly is not that much), I have the following impressions/thoughts:

- 10-ball seems to me more interesting than 9-ball because:

a) you can't reckon on having a good chance of making any ball off the break, it's entirely pot luck
b) at the same time, you must hit the 1-ball, and so cannot do an 8-ball style break onto the second ball in the rack, which makes things even more random?
c) of the extra ball - even very good players need to retain their focus/edge for just that bit longer. Lesser players who are getting whipped have a slightly greater chance of the balls suddenly rolling good for them.
d) the game probably lasts longer on average I would guess
e) more opportunites to play snookers/safeties because of the more crowded table = more strategy
f) more impressive (longer) runouts are possible

The tourney was Texas Express + slop, i.e. no calling pockets (including for 10-ball), 10-ball could be pocketed for a win at any time, all balls stay down no matter how pocketed, 10-ball off the break is a win except in the two corner pockets near the rack.
These rules made it especially fast and exciting, and to some extent I think gave lesser players more chance due to the higher element of chance (e.g. the 10-ball rolling into a pocket, balls not made in the intended pocket).

There were 6 matches per section, a race to 6 racks for each. I played a total of 52 racks in about 6.25 hours. The tables were 7ft bar.

I came last in my division, losing about 3 racks to every one I won. But I was - I think - by no means disgraced, as the prize fund had attracted some incredibly talented local players. Several of the guys I played would fairly consistently run the entire table if you gave them even a glimmer of a chance. What's more they did it fast, apparently without even thinking. Or they would snooker me, realizing pretty soon that getting out of trouble using the cushions was one of the weakest areas of my game - I quite often conceded BIH.

I realize now that I was way optimistic in entering this tournament, as I was I'm guessing among the weakest players there, but I had great fun and learnt quite a lot, including areas I definitely need to work on. Plus I learned more about how tournaments are run.

In future, though, I will aim at entering tourneys either with handicaps, or with divisions for different skill levels. Plus tourneys that cost rather less to enter ;) The exception may be if another 10-ball tourney crops up, as such tourneys appear to be rather rare.

The players that impressed me most were not the ones who strung together a series of jaw-dropping shots and pockets that looked impossible and seemed to defy physics, or who regularly and successfully played shots that I couldn't even see existed on the table, but who then suddenly played a rough shot on a ball that even I would have put down; no, what impressed me most were those players who consistently, time and again, calmly pocketed the balls AND put the cue-ball just where it needed to be. Solid, reliable and consistent well-planned play. It seemed almost effortless. Rack after rack after rack. They didn't play many of the jaw-dropping shots. They didn't need to. Their superlative control of the cue-ball meant that their next shots were almost always straightforward. Watching how such players run an entire table was a pleasure to behold. They made the game look easy.

Despite coming last, I was pretty pleased with my performance, especially since I've only ever played 8-ball. I was relatively consistent overall (although faded rather towards the end), and made some good pockets. Moreover, I made several quite respectable run-outs, which I planned and executed well. Plus saw several opportunities to make a combo on the 10-ball, which I sank. I like how this possibility of pocketing the 10-ball early adds an extra dimension to the game. Just like in 8-ball, you've got to keep a close eye on the money-ball, but for opposite reasons!

Best though, for me, was that apart from a brief period at the start when things were just getting underway, I had almost none of the major nervous problems that have plagued my league matches thus far (maybe a few drinks helped though ;). I kept my cool, even when getting thrashed. I was always gracious to my opponents. Looking around me, it became clear that not everyone was keeping their cool (or was sportsmanlike). You could cut the testosterone in the air with a knife.

Did I mention that TEN-BALL ROCKS!!

I really hope that 10-ball leagues eventually become commonplace.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top